Bicycle camper building

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanhermit70

Reaction score
I like the Paul Elkins design, although I would change it to a flat top and install 200W to 400W of solar and use it to power an electric bike.

Bicycle Trailer Camper

I was concerned about weight capacity of something like this, wondered if crafting something around a bicycle cargo trailer and a camping cot would work. Then, form a "poor man's fiberglass" shell over it, maybe even in a hi-lo setup so it'll be less draggy on the road, or a teardrop with a lifting roof on the tail, just to make space for feet when sleeping.

The cot's legs would come down when deployed, acting as stabilizers and load bearing, so your trailer wouldn't have to be as heavy duty as if were expected to take the occupied weight itself.

I see a lot of links for bike campers these days, but not as many examples of them being used on extended trips. I figured a simple electric-assist bike, perhaps a recumbent, with a lightweight trailer could carry enough solar to actually keep power going indefinitely while the sun is out. A good cyclist puts out under 200w at the cranks. If you have a 350 watt electric motor, hub or mid-drive, and don't keep it pegged all the time, a 200w solar setup on the camper roof oughta be able to keep up fairly well.

There are commercial models out there, but with a few tools and some effort, Atomic Zombie has some interesting models. Check this one out:

Run a little electric on it, ya gotta help with pedaling too, or you might as well not bother with a pedal machine, and tow one of these bike campers behind it. I could see using a recumbent windshield up front for aerodynamics and comfort, and in the rain, maybe even have a flexible canopy you can extend back over your head for that, or for shade from the midday sun.

I don't see winning RAAM with something like that, but you'd be a great Turtle, and it should be pretty visible to most drivers.

As a long time bicycle tourist (10's of thousands of miles) I would stick to a tent. The weight and cross wind affects pretty much rule it out for me. If you're just going short distances on flat ground, that's another story.

This is a link to a video on Robert Beriault’s YT channel where he shows a bike trailer he built which looks very light weight and has solar panels.

Could this help you? This is a trailer kit you finish yourself, to what ever size you need. They claim you can finished it with supplies from Home Depot or Lowes.

https://www.wicycle.com/products/bike-trailers/diy

Screenshot_2018-10-11 Do it yourself bike trailer kit Wike - The Walk and Bike Company(1).png

from thir website:
Our ‘Do It Yourself Kit’ allows you the complete freedom to make the trailer exactly the size and style you want it. Many people prefer to build their own trailer and know what they want. Some of our DIY kits end up with 50+ hours of craftsmanship. The kit comes with 2 x 20” high quality alloy wheels with stainless steel spokes and precision ground bearings, push button axles, axle receivers, corner connectors, 15 of 1/4-20 x 1.75 inch machine screws with lock nuts, bent tow bar, and bike hitch. It does not include 1” square frame tubing, floor, or self tapping screws. We suggest 1 inch x 1/16 inch wall square aluminium tubing or steel for extra heavy loads and 3/8” plywood for the floor. Home Depot, Lowe’s, or any reputable hardware store will have what you need to complete your project, Tubing should be about $3.00/foot is small quantities.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-11 Do it yourself bike trailer kit Wike - The Walk and Bike Company(1).png
    Screenshot_2018-10-11 Do it yourself bike trailer kit Wike - The Walk and Bike Company(1).png
    460.4 KB · Views: 11
You seem to get awfully happy with every bike contraption you see.

I wish I could too, but in the back of my mind there is a nagging suspicion that not all roads are flat or going downhill, and unless you are permanently parked outside a Walmart there is no chance in hell that you can carry supplies, a decent battery, or enough water to drink and wash your teeth every 3 days in something like this.
Just saying, buddy...

Ha sofi. A gal just came thru my place camping on her bicycle! She’s 60 years old are rides all over. Even other countries. She hasn’t owned a car for six years she said. She stayed a couple of days then headed south. Pretty cool gal!

There is a group for women travelers that I’m on and you can post your place. They come thru pretty often and stay a night or a few nights. I’ve met a lot of neat gals. I have another coming within about an hour.

abnorm said:
^ Pics or it didn't happen.......................HiYa

Cassie Stockamp on face. I didn’t take pics of her.

That lady is definitely getting top value for her days. She must have made for great company Cammalu.

She was pretty great alright. From here she went to a friend of mines home. She had mentioned she wanted to volunteer at Glacier and I just happened to have a friend that does that every year. My friend lives about an hour away by car so I loaded her bike and took her over there.
6cc3be4531d3cc39512ed19855e81c2d.jpg

Latest posts