Between San Fran and Monterey

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Im taking a break from the back of the Tacoma for a week and meeting some freinds in Las Vegas. Were going to all meet up there and are renting an RV and doing a road trip since our friend is getting married we are doing a batchelor road trip. Is a Cruise America 30 footer. Any Tips on the trip are welcome, routes to avoid etc.

The itinerary is as follows:

Night 1- Main Street Station RV Park- Las Vegas (any suggestions welcomed)
Travel- Head up the eastern side of the Sierra towards Bishop
Night 2- Yosemite NP( I live here so I have a guranteed site, but still suggestions welcome)
Night 3- Yosemite NP
Travel-head to San Fran, Maybe hit Muir Woods on the way and come in on the GG Bridge

Night 4-This is where I need help. I found oversized parking near ATT park for $35 that also says overnight, but might want to get out of the city after 1 friend goes to the airport at SFO. Thats where it gets hairy, we could try the ATT parking and have him use BARTS to get to the airport and head out in the morning, or we drop him off and head south towards Monterey for the next segment. The problem is Id like to get out of the city so we can have a clear start in the morning, but dont wanna miss out on any of RT 1 by driving at night.

Night 5- Plaskett Creek Campground- RT1
Night 6- Willow Creek Forest Road( Near san martin rock)
Travel:back to vegas to drop off rv.

any help on NIght 4 would be great, and any tips or suggestions on any of this is also great THANKS!

Cross over on 92 to HWY1. Just make sure you wait until the school /soccer moms have left the roads.

The small section of 1 you will miss is not as spectacular as the rest of it.

thanks for the tip! Skyline looks like a pretty cool drive too, hope a 30ft rv will be ok on these road they look pretty windy.

Chrebet86 said:
thanks for the tip! Skyline looks like a pretty cool drive too, hope a 30ft rv will be ok on these road they look pretty windy.

Thanks for the laugh.  Compared to the southern part of Highway 1~~~ Piece of cake.  

Just do not push it, and pull over when you get a chance.  Enjoy the drive and view. 

Stay sober on that road!

Attachments

• jp photos 173.jpg
    jp photos 173.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 6
Hmmm. Sounds like timing for traffic is the primary issue, Right?

Everyone and their sister will be headed into (into) town, from north, south east and west, in the morning. But then you'll be headed in the opposite direction of traffic: outta town, IF you are on the correct side of town before the rush starts.

Perhaps you can pick a Bart station to drop him at that is on the West side of town? And get him there early enough that you are beating traffic? If that works, it should be considerably less of a traffic jam, yes?

On a motorcycle I'd take skyline, or any of a number of others too. But in my little RV i just go straight to Half Moon bay, then head south on hwy 1. Call me a pansie if you like.