Best Blanket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just left the store where I purchased the yarn needed to crochet a blanket. It will be my evening entertainment when I choose a campsite for the night!

I just left the store where I purchased the yarn needed to crochet a blanket. It will be my evening entertainment when I choose a campsite for the night!
Yay, I won't be the only one crocheting at my camp! I thought of maybe making them as I can for the howa folks to get to those maybe not having warm enough stuff, but no room. Gotta stay busy once I quit working so much lol

The price of yarn versus the price of a blanket? Nope not a winner. The value of enjoying the making and gifting of a blanket is likely a very good return on the cost of yarn.

Last edited:
You are so very right lol. I could of purchased a good weeks of groceries. But my practice trips have taught me that I will not always have Wi-Fi. The only crafty hobby I have is crochet lol

I'm planning on using my crocheted afghans that roast me out, didn't see anyone mention them, but they sure are warm and heavy to me.
We have a crocheted afghan in a "pillow" holder. If it is cold enough, we take it out. If not, it is a firm pillow for leaning against to support our backs for reading etc. This year I am making some pillowcases that have fleece pockets to cover our heads. I have a rice pillow that can be heated in the microwave to heat our feet as my microwave can work with my Jackery. This year I might find an electric blanket that is low watt. and will work with my Jackery. As it would be a heat source for the whole van. I heard somewhere about someone using a crockpot to heat their van as it is low watt. and can work for longer with a Jackery, but not sure about that. We have a very small heater, but it is not low watt. and sucks my battery dry very quickly. While hubby and I will be warm still working on how to keep pup warm. He is a northern breed, but ......
I also like the colorfulness of most afghans. They make things pretty.

You are so very right lol. I could of purchased a good weeks of groceries. But my practice trips have taught me that I will not always have Wi-Fi. The only crafty hobby I have is crochet lol
Cheaper than drugs and cleaner than booze.. I refer my crafty stuff as my prozac

That's my plan for Christmas gifts this year- crocheted lap blankets.

Reactions: Bev
If we are trying to avoid petroleum based products, that leaves cotton and wool? Or a cotton covering with feathers inside?

Old fashioned quilts still work for me but they are a part of my heritage and make me feel comfortable mentally as they are familiar. They are heavy and take up a lot of space.

The price of yarn versus the price of a blanket? Nope not a winner. The value of enjoying the making and gifting of a blanket is likely a very good return on the cost of yarn.
I'm lucky that I come across a lot of yarn from thrift store and friends coming across it and keeping me stocked well for cheap

If I go to bed with cold feet, they stay cold whether I put socks on or not. If I go to bed with warm naked feet they tend to stay warm. So I try to get my feet comfortable beforehand - hot water bottle, keeping feet near a heat source, sitting on them. Like, once I get the blood primed to flow down there, they're fine.
Wow this makes a lot of sense I’m thinking I actually experienced this and for got to note it thanks for the advice