beer cans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Reaction score
as in is that what we are building ships out of? gee wizz, bends the fender on a freighter and almost sinks. my nephew who drives small boats real fast for the SEALS, he's a CPO BTW jokes that the navy should be called the Beer Can Navy, he said many times he would NOT want to be on ANY of our NEWEST ships in a real shooting war, i used to think he was kidding, i don't think he's kidding now. of course  what do you expect for a lousy $200,000,000

While on the subject of beer (and soda) cans, I saw a video that might help van dwellers. Some people hang a few shirts or jackets on one side of their vehicle. To maximize space slide one hole in the tab over the first wire hanger. Then hook another hanger through the tab's other hole. Repeat. Less hanger bunching at the top. A few easily accessible items. Especially helpful in a car or minivan where space is such an issue.

caretaker said:
as in is that what we are building ships out of? gee wizz, bends the fender on a freighter and almost sinks. my nephew who drives small boats real fast for the SEALS, he's a CPO BTW jokes that the navy should be called the Beer Can Navy, he said many times he would NOT want to be on ANY of our NEWEST ships in a real shooting war, i used to think he was kidding, i don't think he's kidding now. of course  what do you expect for a lousy $200,000,000

IMG_2086.jpg

THIS is the way we USED to build them!
Entrance to the armored citadel of the USS Missouri

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 13
Alas, building them big and thick and strong is rather pointless when all it takes is one anti-ship missile to scatter their pieces all over the sea bed.

In the naval "weapons v armor" race, the weapons are way ahead right now.

PS--I often rile up my jet-jockey friends by telling them that drones have now made manned military aircraft virtually obsolete. But the same is also true of the big Navy battle group. Today, one little converted freighter can carry more deliverable firepower through unmanned drones than an entire carrier group can.

Their days are over.

i was just watching a panel discussion about autonomous vehicles, the BIGGEST driver(no pun intended) of autonomous vehicles is the trucking indst. getting rid of drivers is job ONE. my question is once they get rid of middle class jobs (the 1%ers i mean) who's gonna buy all the stuff all those state of the art factories produce?(25 years in the future):win win cheesley winslow chairman of widget co. talking to his board, why are sales falling? a member says "we will do a redesign of our widgets" win win (he hates to be called winney) says super, do a redesign. so board member says to his phone/computer/personal asst. redesign the widget, 30 secs. later the board sits around oohing and and congratulating themselves on their new widget. win win says make it, board member says to his phone/computer/ personal asst. "produce it" instantly robots start producing the "new widget". the next day the new "widget" is sitting on the shelves(not 1 pesky worker was involved in the making of this widget in any way shape or form) in the local big box. a week later, the board meets again "sales are still falling" junior board member speaks up "we need to do a study to find out why" win win says "do it", so junior board member speaks into his phone/computer/personal asst., 2mins. later junior board member says the 99% don't have jobs, so they don't have any money. slackers says winney. TRUE story in Bloomington Il their is a place called,,,and I'm not kidding,,,,Hamburger University it is a large research/teaching facility that McDonalds owns,,,Folks,when i say its big,,,its huge,,and they are well along in making a restaurant thats pretty much autonomous, so if you were hoping for an exciting fast paced rewarding career flipping burgers i wouldn't get my hopes up, have a nice day,,,warmest Regards,,Caretaker

There is an apocrypohal story told about UAW President Walter Reuther. One day Henry Ford took him on a tour of an automated factory, run completely by robots. As they walked among the whirring and clanking robot arms, Ford turned to Reuther and triumphantly asked, "Well, Walter, how are you going to get these robots to go out on strike?" And Reuther responded, "Well, Henry, how are YOU going to get these robots to buy Fords?"

every time an automotive co. lays off an employee, they lose three or four sales. Example: I'm from Mi. and when i was little (50 years ago) families that worked for the Big 3, EVERYBODY in that family drove the brand of car that the family member made, when you went to their place for a family gathering the driveway looked like a car lot for that particular producer. But when that family member lost his job, (i remember this vividly) the next year at Christmas we went to their house and almost ALL the vehicles were made in Japan or Germany

not sure how the beer can analogy fits here....assuming you're referencing the collision of the USS Fitzgerald and the cargo ship.

40,000 ton cargo ship with a bulbous nose below the waterline T bones a 2000 ton destroyer punching a huge hole; yet the destroyer still able to be towed back to port...I'd say our boat was built pretty darn tuff.

The real damage was below the waterline and I don't think any pictures of that have been released yet.

Capture.PNG

johnnie, i was watching an admiral on the PBS news hour and he said ships are made to minimum thickness, when the moderator asked why, he said to make a ship to WW2 standards would be "considerably" more expensive to operate across its life cycle, i guess because i have 6 nieces and nephews on active duty across all the branches 3 in the navy alone, him NOT mentioning survivability once, i find to be a glaring omission. i guess since i have skin in the game listening to people come up with lame excuses as to why our WAR ships are made to minimum safety standards i find galling, as i said my nephew the CPO said he would NOT want to serve on our newest war ships, and this is a guy who drives speed boats into hostile fire, carries more weight with me more then some politician with shoulder boards, and their brokedick excuses. P.S. he was deployed to OMAN 2 months ago.

I'll play devil's advocate for just a minute.

Money is a finite resource.

Somebody has to decide how many ships we need to do the job assigned.  Then the question becomes how well we can build them with the resources available.

Or we end up with a smaller Navy that can't do everything that we need it to do.

I only know one thing from seeing those destroyers and frigates doing sea trials off the coast here. (Many of them are built 5 miles from here.)
Those things sure can haul ass!

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'll play devil's advocate for just a minute.

Money is a finite resource.

Reality check: gold is a finite resource. In contrast, 'money' isn't based on a gold standard, nor on any other standard that might be considered a 'finite resource', ergo, money is not a finite resource.

Just keepin' it real :)

OP actually your more right then you think, ALL of our military leaderships strategy has been since the time of U.S. Grant has been just throw more bodies at them, if a general loses a battalion he's given a medal for being "aggressive" if a grunts uniform is missing a button he's given an article 15. they could do a lot better but they just DONT TRY.

Bob, thanks its not meant to be political,,in no way shape or form can the current troubles be layed off on one team or other its definitely been a TOTAL group effort. BUT the BRIGHT side is they are so busy bickering amongst themselves,,,MAYBE just MAYBE they won't have time to mess with us.

Latest posts