be careful in south dakota & utah

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obeynoone

Reaction score
https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_30ade07c-facd-56f6-b869-ff5f329b5452.html

https://reason.com/2020/01/31/brickbat-never-mind-3/

The Jackson County, South Dakota, Sheriff's Office posted a photo to Facebook of Chris Fox's van along with a message saying the van was "associated with confirmed criminal activity in Pennington County" and "appears to use the large antenna visible on the roof to intercept WiFi, stealing credit card information." A Pennington County deputy says that department there has seen a spike in credit card fraud in that county, and some residents had feared the van might be involved, but they never had any confirmation of illegal activity. After talking to Fox, the Pennington County sheriff's office says it has confirmed nothing illegal was going on. Fox is a businessman who spends his winters driving to bicycle shows to buy bikes and parts to resell and touring national parks.

Proof that white vans are still being profiled by paranoid facebook users. Too bad they can't get help for their paranoia, eventually they will tragically hurt someone.  -crofter

If someone were engaged in a criminal activity that required a vehicle, I imagine they'd choose something inconspicuous and common, like a minivan or SUV, not the feared white cargo van.

Nonetheless, I avoid parking/resting at parks with playgrounds.

I can park at a place with playgrounds without getting harassed. There are some advantages to being a woman :angel:

It's probably still a good idea to not put up a tall antenna mast in any residential areas, though. It's completely legal, but this proves it can attract unwanted attention. I'll save my ham radioing for parks or less populated areas. :)

crofter said:
Proof that white vans are still being profiled by paranoid facebook users. Too bad they can't get help for their paranoia, eventually they will tragically hurt someone.  -crofter
and to make it worse, i saw an Investigation Discovery channel series the other day called "Man In a Van"
that featured a serial killer driving around in a white van  :mad:

as if all the criminals were going to identify themselves by driving around in black vehicles????

Lol. The mysterious white van urban myth rears its ugly head yet again. Talk about a bad case of stereotyping. And of course I own a white van. Will wonders never cease. I have yet to be bothered because of my white van but I do stay away from schools and Kindergarden places.  HoboJoe

Eastern rural South Dakota here. Still get the stink eye every once in a while. One thing I've noticed is that all them are young male (not one lone or group of women)  adults that look to be as bright as a 40w light bulb, and the ones in a car, the car (not 1 in a pick up yet) looks like something puled out of a salt pond and duck taped together. And it's only happened in the local Walmart parking lot. 
Just a bunch of f%#& book Sheep.
More Proof  America is suffering a Brain Drain

More fear mongering from news services.
Less so rcalled news I consume the better my world is.

The News media likes to keep people anxious. Anxiety is a strong motivation to consume needless crap.