Backing up and changing lanes with limited view

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seldom

Reaction score
Does anyone with experience driving a van or truck with no side windows have advice on backing up, changing lanes, pulling out onto a road, etc? I want to leave my window blockers in while I drive and figured some people don't have any windows at all and drive way bigger vehicles than I do, or pull trailers and would have some tricks on how to increase blind spot visibility.

I have an SUV and have been blocking out the windows with ReflectX because of the intense UV rays. Even in late winter its getting into 90s and the UV rays are intense. I will leave the desert soon, but am playing with the idea of leaving the window blockers in year-round. I currently leave them up unless driving on freeway or busy parking lots, but it is a pain to be constantly taking them down and putting them back up doing errands, going into stores, etc. I have already pretty much gotten used to driving with them, there are just a few situations that can feel quite sketchy:
1. Seeing what is coming perpendicular to me backing out. I can look out back windshield to see if something is directly behind me, but not something that will cross my path as I back up.
2. Turning onto a road, especially crossing one lane and turning left, I need to be able to see If I am about to be T BONED!
3. Changing lanes, side blind spots. Is someone hiding in my blind spot? Is a crazed, speeding maniac passing me on the right lane with no turn signal?

I am wondering if there is a type of side mirror extender / bubble set up that will allow me to see my blind spot. I don't currently have a rear view mirror, its waiting for new windshield to call home. I am also considering blocking out the back window also, and using a back up camera but I think they only come on when vehicle is in reverse, is there a way to have it always on just to see behind you while in Drive? The back up cameras I have seen have a pretty wide angle, that might at least solve my backing up troubles.

My advise for on the road is to simply stay alert, nothing "comes out of nowhere" with limited visibility you just have to scan further away and keep track of more vehicles. if you saw a vehicle approaching behind you or turning off a side road then disappear it might be in your blind spot, if you drive with your windows are down you can easily hear other vehicles near you.
Backing out, I always just check on foot then hop back in and back out slowly, make sure your reverse lights work.

You can and should be able to get tow mirrors for all pickup based SUVs, pickups and full size vans. Universal tow mirrors are available that clip on your existing mirrors. I am a fan of fender mounted mirrors.

Back up cameras don't HAVE to be wired to get power through the backup light switch.  You could run power from the ignition so it was on all the time the car was running.  Or have a manual switch to control when it was on and off.

I do wonder how many hours a camera like that would be good for before it fails?  Still, if it lasted a year or two, replacement cameras aren't all that expensive.

Of course, any truck driver would tell you that good side mirrors are all you need . . .

It's all in becoming comfortable using your mirrors. A little bit of practice and they are all you will need to switch lanes and back up. You should always be using your side view mirrors anyways, even when you're not backing up or switching lanes. A quick glance in them every 30 seconds or so lets you know what other cars are on the road. When you know what's behind you, you'll have a better idea of knowing whether or not someone might be in your blindspot to start with. I'm always surprised at how many people don't know how to use their mirrors or under use them. Mirrors are your best friend when driving.

get proper mirrors and learn how to use them, plain and simple. highdesertranger

I should mention that I bought a two camera set that is wireless, and I plan to mount one of the cameras on the back of the trailer so I can see what's going on behind it.

They do sell side-view cameras to go with rear-view cameras. Note that blocking your view of your mirrors may be illegal in some states, even if you do have cameras installed.

Properly adjusted mirrors + wide-angle convex add-on mirrors + really looking and processing what I see or don't see before making a move. In those situations where I'm stopped on a street/road that intersects the cross street at a sharp angle, I might not be able to see what's coming. So I skew myself in the lane as close to 90 degrees as possible so I can see farther.

I also have a high mounted backup camera pointing down so I can see my bumper. I use it in really tight parking lots to make sure I'm backing as far as I can without hitting something.

MrNoodly is right on. I had a 1963 Chevy Panel truck with slab sides, worked months to get all the right side dents out but finally got it done. With in six months I found out how come the right side had so many dents as I had two right side accidents due to not being able to see blind spots even with west coast and spot mirrors. Had to pull up at 90 degrees at every intersection to be able to see on coming right side traffic. I'll never drive a vehicle without a right side vision all the way back including pickup trucks with toppers.

bullfrog said:
 Had to pull up at 90 degrees at every intersection to be able to see on coming right side traffic.  I'll never  drive a vehicle without a right side vision all the way back including pickup trucks with toppers.

The worst is when I've been turning left across 2 lanes and using a middle turn lane as buffer to merge into traffic, and have ended up stuck between 90 degrees and where I can use a mirror to see oncoming cars. Fortunately that only happens when I'm inpatient + retarded + unlucky. So, not daily at least...    ;)

I always liked the scene from the movie where the Italian race car driver rips off the rear view mirror and says " what sa behind me doesn't matter!".

In Ireland those rear view mirrors are used like cats whiskers....they are "feelers" to know when you are too close before doing extensive body damage.

Just so we're  not misunderstanding..... you're NOT talking about blocking your front-seat side windows, right?  Because that is illegal in all states.  Safety trumps comfort.  

If your side mirrors are small (like 4x5"), have larger ones installed, and add a pair of those round, stick-on convex mirrors in the lower, outside corners, preferably not the tiny ones.  4" is nice.

And no matter what kind of mirrors you have, you DO have to actually focus on what's going on.  Some people just glance at their mirrors and change lanes, plowing into a small car or motorcycle.  FOCUS.

Practice your backing in a large open area with three boxes, two to the side and the third on the blind-spot side, in back.

Re-read Mr. Noodly's post.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Back up cameras don't HAVE to be wired to get power through the backup light switch.  You could run power from the ignition so it was on all the time the car was running.  Or have a manual switch to control when it was on and off.
I just bought, have not yet installed, a camera and display.  The video is low power RF.  The plan is to power the camera and the radio transmitter from one of the backup lights.

While waiting for my dentist I was looking at an old ambulance parked outside with huge extender mirrors on it. When she entered I told her I was thinking about safety on the road in my bulky T & C minivan.

My 60 Chevy Impala and Vista Cruiser station wagon were probably the same length as the minivan, but without the height factor. Those cars were easy to drive, no problem with parking or visibility.

My dentist grew up on a farm and knows how to back up truck and trailer. I asked her about using a backup camera but she suggested front, back, and side parking sensors that beep when you get 8 feet from an object. The one I viewed on Amazon changes color as you get closer to an object, as additional warning.

I did a forum search but nothing came up under that topic. Does anyone have experience with using the all sides sensors? I can't tell where the minivan starts or ends. It's not like the small minivan I tried out years ago, which drove just like a car.

Would all around parking sensors be better than a backup camera? I hope I don't need both, as that gets pricey. But I want to be safe when I hit the road. Am planning to get 3" convex mirrors, aluminum base, not plastic, to help out too.