Astronomy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eDJ_

Reaction score
The last thread I could find here that's associated with astronomy was posted in 2014, so rather than to bump it I'll start a new thread for any who would be interested.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Astrophotography?page=5

NASA Launches the Galaxy’s Most Glorious Space Database
Now you can easily peruse more than 140,000 of the agency’s photos, videos and visualizations

Story:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...pJobID=1004115137&spReportId=MTAwNDExNTEzNwS2

milkyway.jpeg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

The Middle of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Where is Earth from here ?

MilkyWay.jpg

I guess last night the Northern Lights were visible at much lower latitudes than usual. Unfortunately, it was cloudy where I am. That happens all of the time and is one of the reasons I want to get out of the sticks and bricks. No matter how much I might want to, I cannot drive my house somewhere else for better viewing of astronomical events.

I love astronomy, have so ever since I was a kid. It's too cloudy here 90% of the time to see anything. The trees also block too much of the horizon. That's one reason why I can't wait to get under a big, clear desert sky. I'm going to have my astronomy apps going every night.

It's hard to fit a good telescope into a small space like a van.  Not impossible, I'm sure there are people who do it, but hard.  We had somebody here who had a small cargo trailer fitted out as a mobile observatory, but I don't recall seeing him/her here in a while.

You can do a lot with a good pair of binoculars.  Go to Amazon and search on "Binocular Astronomy"  and a number of books will come up.  A Google search on the same will doubtless turn up a number of sites, as well.

Night sky photography with high end cameras but no scope is also an interesting hobby.

https://fstoppers.com/post-production/some-best-photos-night-sky-and-how-make-your-own-8111

I'm wanting to try some night sky photography other than moon and eclipses this year when I can get good views of the Milky Way. Need to pick up a decent wider lens than what I have. Mostly set up for birds and other wildlife at the present.

If you want to use a really powerful computer driven scope contact a National Park that participates in the "night sky program". They are always looking for volunteers to help with evening programs and are more than happy to let you show them how to use their equipment.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
You can do a lot with a good pair of binoculars.  Go to Amazon and search on "Binocular Astronomy"  and a number of books will come up.  A Google search on the same will doubtless turn up a number of sites, as well.
I was going to say that.  Even regular binos will work, but wide astro binoculars are epic.  I eventually sold off my 8" light bucket and kept the binos.

Anyone going anywhere special or meeting up for the eclipse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who love astronomy, I encourage you to check out local (to where you are at any given time) astronomy clubs.  For instance, the Colorado Springs club holds a star party each year, which is pretty much an astronomy related RTR.  It's held on club land in Gardner, CO which is far out of any light domes so there is usually good seeing. 

http://rmss.org

They call it Rocky Mountain Star Stare, and they have almost a week of activities and speakers and whotnot, along with observing at night.  Those without scopes can spend the whole night going from one group to the next looking through eyepieces.  There is of course an etiquette to that, but for the most part everyone there loves to share.

The reason I bring it up is not to push the star party but to point out that as a Colorado springs astronomical society member I have access to that land whenever I want.  Most clubs that own land are like that.  You pay the yearly fee or the lifetime membership fee, and as long as you don't mess things up you can use it whenever you want.

Something to think about for those who love astronomy....

Those are great pics, bardo. I'm going to be stargazing and taking photos wherever I can find dark skies once I get on the road in a few years. Gotta figure out which of my 4 Scopes to keep our get a portable/collapsible one.

What was your setup for these? Great tracking and detail!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

C8 SCT with field flattener (f/6.3) or an 80mm doublet APO with a used digital rebel with IR removed and an Orion atlas mount.

Wow Bardo! Very cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought it would be fun to present this Scale Photo display of our planets and the larger Stars around us.

sun1.jpg

image005.jpg

Source this link.

http://www.kiroastro.com/writings/perspective.html

Stars

Sirius: "The Dog Star" is in the Constellation "Canis Major"  (the brightest star in the night sky)

Pollux: is located in the Constellation "Gemini"

Arcturus:  is located in the Constellation "Bootes" (the Herdsman)

Rigel:  is located in the Constellation "Orion"

Aldebaran:  is located in the Constellation "Taurus"

Betelgeuse:  is located in the Constellation "Orion"

Antares:  is located in the Constellation "Scorpius"

As large as all of this is when looking through a Telescope or Binoculars, (and if it makes you feel small)  try looking through on of these into a drop of pond water when you are camping.   Think of some of the
small life forms that may see you as we see the Stars.

xbigstock_Vintage_Microscope_915407vintage.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3PKPI0dUYZ.jpg

The Hubble Space Telescope is at it again.   Looking on out from our Milky Way Galaxy which is estimated to be between 100,000  to  180,000 light years across.  Hubble looked out from earth into space about 6 billion light years to an area called "Abell 370"  May 4, 2017 and photographed billions of Galaxy's.  Not Stars....Galaxy's.

0daf97c5a7ccc99590f50f7a267d21cc

Imagine each of them being as large as the Milky way ? 

Story:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/countless-galaxies-billions-light-years-222607583.html

The fastest vehicle we have in development (the Skylon) flies at 4000 mph and will be the replacement for the Space Shuttle.   It may reach Mars in a 54 week flight.

skylon.jpg

Cut away view

hqdefault.jpg

The red tanks are Hydrogen.  The small blue tank behind the cargo area is liquid oxygen.

If we're flying at 4000 mph, it's going to be along ride out and back for our astronauts who would
travel to Mars.

Our Radio Astronomy/Radio Telescopes cover a small area of the Milky Way Galaxy.   Given that our Galaxy is thought to be 100,000 to 180,000 light years in diameter some of us wonder how far out into Space our Radio Telescopes can reach?  (understand a "light year" is the distance light can travel in one year and the light that reaches earth from the Sun takes about 9 minutes to get here on it's 93,000,000 mile journey)   Our Radio Telescopes can reach out about 200 light years as shown in this image.   The small blue dot expanded in the lower right of the image below shows the scale of that 200 light years.

JM6Dq.jpg

This is the Radio Telescope in Green Bank, West Virginia.

1482913150.jpg

This Radio Telescope to scale of other familiar sites

images

What have our ancient ancestors known of Astronomy?  Those who lived more than 2000 years ago.  What technology did they have if they didn't have telescopes until the late 1500's AD?  

As our solar system revolves it gives us four seasons.  Some of the Stars and Constellations we see can only be seen because of this.  It is part of how we have been able to know what is out there and plotted the distance between various points to produce drawings of The Milky Way Galaxy.  For those who don't know how we came to know what it looks like so we could even render an image of it.

Down the road from me is Peebles, Ohio where the Serpent Mound is located.

serpent%20mound%20%282%29.jpg

The Serpent Mound is believed to have been built 321 years BC,  by the Adena or Fort Ancient Indians. (both ancient mound building Indian Cultures)   It's purpose is believed  to predict  when to plant or harvest. It's believed by some that the curves in the body of the snake parallel lunar phases, or alternatively align with the two solstices and two equinoxes as the head points to the east to align with the summer solstice and the tail at the west to align with the winter solstice.  It is 1300 ft long and rises to 9 ft above the ground.

Many call this the American "Stone Hinge".  

There is some other curious findings scientist have uncovered with this unique facility.   The first of the seven curves of the serpent aligns with the constellation Draco which would be pointing to true North and thus serving as a compass.  Others believe that all knowledge of these ancient people was compounded in this one earth work, "The Serpent Mound".   These were primitive people who didn't keep records so all knowledge
of the workings of this creation are lost to antiquity.  But it is still held that this earthen work could indicate a number of things or events. The serpent
was believed by many ancient people to have possessed magical powers so it's form may have been chosen to adapt for this early astronomical project.

There were many Mound Building Indian Cultures in the Ohio Valley and Mississippi Valley.  Many dome shaped mounds were built to serve as burial sites.   It is thought that they were created in that manner to withstand frequent flooding.  Thus tribes could know where their dead were buried in spite of these natural disasters.

In other parts of the world such as Greece, engineers developed what was called the "Antikythera Mechanism".
Since it's discovery in the early 1900's near the Isle of Antikythera by divers who were fishing for food,  this
device has born the name of the Island.  Not sure what it was actually called in it's time but it dates back to
100 BC.   It was a system of 30 bronze gears that were turned by a crank handle and was thought to forecast the accurately predict eclipses and the passage of celestial bodies through the sky.  This could be
a very valuable tool to have aboard a merchant ship on long voyages as there were no sources on the water
(like the Serpent Mound on land) to reference while under way.  With cloud coverage the stars couldn't be seen to navigate by.  This may have been in some way helpful to use between clear skies and clouded ones.

Scientist who have studied this device have found that it tracked many things from Comets to Olympic Events.  

Google featured this yesterday 5/17/2017.

Youtube video explaining the Antikythera Mechanism.

antikythera-mechanism-100722-02.jpg

exploded view

Antikythira_Repro.jpg

To the Left is the ruin found by the divers and to the Right is a drawing back engineered by X Ray technology.

antik04.jpg

Today you can purchase an App that simulates this device on the iTunes Store for $3 bucks.  Works on iPhone or iPad.   

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/antikythera-mechanism/id989574753?mt=8

or for Android 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fivasim.antikythera&hl=en

But we knew enough about our Solar System 2000 or more years ago to create these resources.  One by primitive people, and the other by the most advanced.

I shot all my pic down the road from peebles!