As the World Turns (Laugh of the Day)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny b

Reaction score
So I'm reading the news this morning and come across a little tidbit about Brown University.
It seems the Brown University Undergraduate Finance Board has a new initiative, and it's a doozy! Tampons will now be available in both the Men's and Women's restrooms across the campus. The reason:

"The initiative is a means of educating students that men menstruate as well as women."--Viet Nguyen, Student President

This of course took me back a few years, to when Jimmy Kimmel was actually funny:

[video=youtube]

:p :p :p 

(No, the article was not in 'The Onion')

I get the point they are making, that not everyone that menstruates identifies as male, and I can see how they think that if you're going to say that if everyone is free to use the restroom that corresponds to the gender they identify as, then you may have people that identify as male but have female anatomy (and menstruate) in the Men's room.
However, I cannot imagine that anyone trans guy would actually take a tampon from a dispenser in the mens room. Particularly since there are gender neutral bathrooms that have the same products. Getting a tampon from the dispenser in the men's room seems like it would be taking a really big risk.

Link to an article on the topic, if anyone is interested.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rsity-this-school-year-even-in-the-mens-room/

Not all places have a gender neutral bathroom.

"Getting a tampon from the dispenser in the men's room seems like it would be taking a really big risk."
An accurate and sad commentary.

This would have been great at my high school. We used to have to get the girls to get tampons from the nurse for us, then we'd soak them in ketchup and fling them against the walls.

The article makes it pretty clear that the "both sexes menstruate" quote has no reliable source, and that the tampon stocking was done to make a different point. The decision to stock all bathrooms is just because it's so dang hip to be unbiased these days.