Anyone use their propane heater as a method of warming up food?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
I had an idea to warm up simple food items (soup, chilli etc) using my Wave 3, which will be wall mounted.

Take something like this banana hanger (or perhaps bend some thick metal wire with vice grips etc), use it to hold a shallow pan which has a tin/metal cup/ bowl etc with the food in it. Place it near the heater (how close I don't know... maybe 10cm?). Stir every 5 to 10 minutes, and viola! Warm soup!

Anyone doing something like this?

20150321_195952_zpspea1ebvd.jpg

Or you can just use your camp stove for both heat and cooking.

Some of the MSR stoves are actually really a heater style. Burner is a catalyst type set- up. (Reactor series I believe.) seems the heat must be contained somehow to be efficient.

One Awesome Inch said:
Camp stoves are not heaters. Safety first!

Camp stoves have been used safely as heaters for as long as they have been around.  A double burner camp stove is far safer than most heaters because it is more stable and less likely to be knocked over, or be too close to something combustible.

It just seems slightly silly to me to use a heater for a stove, unless it was designed that way to start with, when using a stove for a heater is a more practical choice.

Here's an example of one designed to be dual purpose:

k2-_bbddf1b4-ea74-4c1b-9a19-d1b44b1e9e90.v1.jpg

I agree totally with Off grid 24/7! I've been using my Coleman Propane stove for heat in a van for 13 years now. Never once regretted it.
Bob

I say give it a try, don't spend any money on it until you are sure it's for you. highdesertranger

"Some rules can be bent, others can be broken...." :)

One Awesome Inch said:
Camp stoves are not heaters. Safety first!

One Awesome Inch said:
...By the way, the irony of not using things for their intended purpose  is not lost on me.  :D

The first quote made me chuckle, the second quote ruined the superiority fix I was going to get by pointing out the irony...lol

One Awesome Inch said:
Quote:Use appliances for their intended use only. Never use stove burners or ovens for space heating.

http://safetyauthority.ca/rv-propane-safety

By the way, the irony of not using things for their intended purpose  is not lost on me.  :D

And on the very next line of that site it reads:

"Never use portable propane camping equipment inside your RV (e.g. camping stoves, barbeques, lanterns, catalytic or radiant heaters). "

So if we choose to believe them, any of our heating methods are a no-no.

One thing might be possible paint fumes from the item pictured. That and keeping in mind any tipping/balance issue. If you work something out that works, patent that s.o.b and put a crap load of warnings on it to not be used as its intended purpose...lol

One Awesome Inch said:
I had an idea to warm up simple food items (soup, chilli etc) using my Wave 3, which will be wall mounted.

Take something like this banana hanger (or perhaps bend some thick metal wire with vice grips etc), use it to hold a shallow pan which has a tin/metal cup/ bowl etc with the food in it. Place it near the heater (how close I don't know... maybe 10cm?). Stir every 5 to 10 minutes, and viola! Warm soup!

Anyone doing something like this?

I've cooked hot dogs on my little buddy. Wrapped them in tin foil and set them on the top of the grate. Split the buns and toasted them. That was a irresponsible use of the little buddy, if hot hot dog juice spurted out on the heater I would have had a fire. Or at least a cold night. Good way to cook a hotdog though.

I had a malfunction on the big buddy unrelated to cooking. The second burner started flaming yellow fire. Shut it down, the burner was black with carbon. Blew it out with a compressor, scrubbed the element with a dry toothbrush and the big buddy has run for six months of winter without another issue.

Hank