Anyone use encryption coding to protect pc information?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breeze

Reaction score
Encrypting a single pc seems like it would be hard, but maybe it's just because I don't know how (yet.) :)

It can be as easy or hard as you make it. You can do full disk encryption pretty easily.

Variables are your operating system, hardware, and technical chops. What's your goal?

breeze said:
Encrypting a single pc seems like it would be hard, but maybe it's just because I don't know how (yet.) :)

I've been using Truecrypt  V7.1a since 2014. Its pretty easy to set up and free. It can take awhile for the program to encrypt everything if you have large drives. It took about 5 or 6 hours for mine but I have several TB of data.

I just encrypt external drives HDD + Flash where anything of value is stored on my systems.

JUST DON'T LOSE YOUR PASSWORDS !!!!!

Bitlocker is standard on most of the latest Windows machines (I did see PC didn't I?). We used it where I used to work. I have only used it for my sensitive folders. Remember it has to decrypt everything that is encrypted. If you think your machine is slow now, wait for it to decrypt all the operating system files on bootup...... Do NOT forget your password!

... and don't forget that encryption doesn't protect against other types of "hacking." I encourage everyone to do things like run programs in virtual machines, sandboxes, etc. Layer your encryption so that if someone gets access to your unencrypted drive, they still can't decrypt your password safe, things like that. Basically, there's no one solution, it's a mindset.

If I want to encrypt a HDD I use Veracrypt. Used to use Truecrypt until the 'controversy' took place. One thing to keep in mind when using FDE is to regularly back up your data. ..Willy.

FYI that Mac computers have built in (optional) ability to encrypt - called "File Vault" and located under System preferences.

KathyC said:
FYI that Mac computers have built in (optional) ability to encrypt - called "File Vault" and located under System preferences.

Yes. You can also use the disk utility from Apple to create an encrypted file / called disk image that you can use to store some sensitive files. This way you have an option to select how much storage space you like to convert to encrypted space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts