Any other GMC Motorhome owners out here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch Marc

Reaction score
Hi Every1, Just wondering if there are any other classic GMC motorhome owners on this form. I have found the GMC community to be very helpful and active (Rallies, Forms, Support etc)

Found my 1973 about 6 months ago. She was named Mello Yello by the original owner and I decided to stick with it.... She's 26Ft Long and it the Canyon Land design. Have been getting it ready for full timing (Solar, Fridge Cooling unit, som minor repairs) 

Mello Yello - Web Sale - 5.png  Mello Yello - Web Sale - 2.png

Would be nice to see if there are any other owners here. 

Looking forward you hear from you guys and maybe see you somewhere along the road ..

Grtx Dutch Marc

Attachments

• Mello Yello - Web Sale - 5.png
    Mello Yello - Web Sale - 5.png
    1.9 MB
  • Mello Yello - Web Sale - 2.png
    Mello Yello - Web Sale - 2.png
    1.9 MB
Score!

They were ahead of their time in the 70's....and a well cared for unit today can still hold it's own...

tx2sturgis said:
Score!

They were ahead of their time in the 70's....and a well cared for unit today can still hold it's own...

Yep. I found all this after I got mine. Glad to know that all parts etc are still available...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're almost right Wagoneer! The potato bake couple, Mark and Donna, have a GMC but it's yellow too.
They did a great job remodeling it. Bob interviewed them -
They come to the RTR so you should get to meet them and talk shop.

Love that body style of RV's and others similar to it (Dodge Travco, Airstreams, etc) but I don't love the mpg that comes with them. If you don't travel much then it isn't bad but if you like to move around a lot then it might become a financial issue. I could see them as being awesome if you use the LTVA's frequently. Stay put for a couple of months and then move on when the season says to the next LTVA. Great score on that GMC Marc and I hope it gives you many years of happiness.

I have see. This interview. He did a great job with the interior

Motrukdriver said:
Love that body style of RV's and others similar to it (Dodge Travco, Airstreams, etc) but I don't love the mpg that comes with them. If you don't travel much then it isn't bad but if you like to move around a lot then it might become a financial issue. I could see them as being awesome if you use the LTVA's frequently. Stay put for a couple of months and then move on when the season says to the next LTVA. Great score on that GMC Marc and I hope it gives you many years of happiness.

Yes 6-8/mpg ...This classic comes with a cost and it toll on the environment. :-( By buying a vintage the energy used to produce compared to a newer model has been spend well :-/

I wish. I have a 77 gmc vandura 35 chassis class C, though.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I saw a blue one in Parker yesterday with a for sale sign on it. I also saw one behind a barn in SW Texas 

They are out there.

Dutch Marc said:
Hi Every1, Just wondering if there are any other classic GMC motorhome owners on this form. I have found the GMC community to be very helpful and active (Rallies, Forms, Support etc)

Found my 1973 about 6 months ago. She was named Mello Yello by the original owner and I decided to stick with it.... She's 26Ft Long and it the Canyon Land design. Have been getting it ready for full timing (Solar, Fridge Cooling unit, som minor repairs) 

Would be nice to see if there are any other owners here. 

Looking forward you hear from you guys and maybe see you somewhere along the road ..

Grtx Dutch Marc
NICE! I would love to have one with the Oldsmobile 455 in it since I'm an old Olds guy. One thing I do know about these is they have an actual truck frame under them, along with a flat floor due to the front wheel drive not needing  shaft. CONGRATS!
PS, they were all 26 ft. :cool:

Ballenxj said:
NICE! I would love to have one with the Oldsmobile 455 in it since I'm an old Olds guy. One thing I do know about these is they have an actual truck frame under them, along with a flat floor due to the front wheel drive not needing  shaft. CONGRATS!
PS, they were all 26 ft. :cool:

Yes. Good ol 455. They made a 23” as well. They have a different layout and are very popular for single peeps or couples. Sleeps 4 . The 26” can sleep 6

I believe GMC build the Motorhome from scratch but used the truck experience they had. Lot of engineers like them. Lots of 70ish space tech in there. Aluminum frame. Fiber glass and glued instead of Riveted mostly ...

Older peeps love it because of it low entrance step. Like you said not drive shaft going backwards ..

Dutch Marc said:
Yes. Good ol 455. They made a 23” as well. They have a different layout and are very popular for single peeps or couples. Sleeps 4 . The 26” can sleep 6

I believe GMC build the Motorhome from scratch but used the truck experience they had. Lot of engineers like them. Lots of 70ish space tech in there. Aluminum frame. Fiber glass and glued instead of Riveted mostly ...

Older peeps love it because of it low entrance step. Like you said not drive shaft going backwards ..
Hmm, wasn't aware of the 23 ft ones, learn something new everyday. 
Once upon a time I was seriously considering one, so did a bit of research on them. If I recall correctly, they were built on the commercial bus assembly line.
That 455 Olds engine is definitely nice to have, at least would be for me. 
 Anyway, go through it and catch up on any maintenance it may need, and it should last a very long time. :) 
Most people don't know it, but Oldsmobile was one of GM's test divisions.

Had one. Early '77 Kingsley with the 455. Ahead of it's time but made with 70's GM mechanicals, that not so great. The transaxle was the best transmission GM ever made. Sold it after spending $12K on it and blowing the engine. Enough was enough.

ZoNiE said:
Had one. Early '77 Kingsley with the 455. Ahead of it's time but made with 70's GM mechanicals, that not so great. The transaxle was the best transmission GM ever made. Sold it after spending $12K on it and blowing the engine. Enough was enough.
Sorry to hear that. Those engines are usually pretty bullet proof. I used to street race with those engines. And like I said above, Oldsmobile was GM's test division. That front wheel drive transmission was basically a modified T400 that came out in the Toronado in 1966, and once proven, Caddilac's Eldorado got it in 1967.

Headache said:
Don't know if you made it but I saw a couple of GMCs at the RTR.

Yes. I even met some new GMC owners that didn’t attend the RTR but just stop when then checked out the area. Very friendly and
Help full community ..