Any input regarding heat reflective roof coatings?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sctrlvr

Reaction score
20170918_170053_1516488414923_001.jpg
Hello!

I've gotten some awful good advice here so here goes

I've got an aluminum roof, coated with factory single-stage paint that's oxidized like normal for a vehicle made in 2002. I'm looking for a coating with the most effective heat reflection, and it would be nice if it also offered good adhesion/durability.

There's several products that could meet my criteria, but I thought I'd ask around before pulling the trigger.

Of course cost is a factor, but I'd certainly reach deeper for a coating that will keep my rolling home cool.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20170918_170053_1516488414923_001.jpg
    20170918_170053_1516488414923_001.jpg
    808.1 KB
Here's a curveball idea. Strip whatever paint is on the now the polish the aluminum to a mirror finish, like a factory-fresh Airstream. Can't get much more reflective than that — except maybe gluing mirrors to the roof.

If you're going to put solar panels on the roof, they provide shade, which is even better.

All those windows, though... Mirrored window tint, perhaps.

If using solar pannels be aware of the heat build up and provide a good space between the roof and pannel. The white mobile home roof coatings will reduce heat some but not easy to keep clean. Shinny white is probably the best you can hope for unless you use a roof rack with reflex when you park. I have canvas coated with semi-gloss white house paint on glued on foam filled pannels in my self built camper and it seems much cooler than my previous RV's but it hasn't been proven by taking actual temps.

Any white paint will be good-to-go. I used Bull's eye 1 2 3 primer intending to put a finish coat of Behr premium white paint. But I got lazy. The sun on my roof is not a problem. I can hold my hand on the metal at high noon. Before, I could cook burgers.

Gr8ful said:
Here's a link with the supposed 7 best https://www.usautoauthority.com/best-rv-roof-coatings/  We sold Kool Seal & it was great & would be my pick.

Thanks for the reply.
This product showed up in my previous searches. I tried contacting the manufacturer regarding surface prep, but was unable to get a response.
4/5ths of my roof is oxidized factory paint, and 1/5th is fiberglass. A good scrub and scuff with heavy scotchbrite should work on both surfaces, but I was curious if there was a recommended prep for the fiberglass.
Being a bodyman/painter, I seldom work with latex.

Appreciate the input,
Sctrlvr

Latest posts