Any experience with 22" roof vents/hatches?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNBlue

Reaction score
My stepvan build involves no side windows. Instead, I want to use the two existing skylight mounts to install roof vents. I've got two 23"x23" frames to work with. Most RV vents are 14" square, and I can get them new for something like $25 each. Far less common are 22"x22" vents of similar design, that double as escape hatches because they open fully. They cost about $110 each, made by Elixir and possibly another company. Has anyone used these?

http://www.rvpartsmarket.com/66621-C2-Elixir-Escape-Hatch-Exit-Vent-22-X-22-White_p_2347.html

I'm wondering if the extra expense is worth it, and how sturdy they are (or aren't) - replacement lids alone are about $70.

I don't have any experience installing them, but I have crawled out of them, in a less than sober state, to howl at the moon. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I don't have any experience installing them,  but I have crawled out of them,  in a less than sober state, to howl at the moon.  highdesertranger

maddog 20/20 will do that to a guy