Any buyers remorse with solar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using solar since the mid 90's. I have no regrets only the highest regard for solar. right now I have 225 watts, I can move the panels up to 50' from camp if I happen to be in the shade(which isn't to often in the desert). about this hydro system before anybody gets all excited. 1st they are not using a bilge pump, a bilge pump is a high volume low pressure pump it is meant to pump water out of a bilge to just over the water line of a boat/ship. a bilge pump will not turn a turbine. 2nd where is the water coming from and where is it going?(big question here, a turbine requires a lot of water). 3rd what powers the water pump, gas engine, electricity? if electric where does the power come from? certainly not from the hydro plant that would be a perpetual motion machine(impossible according to the laws of physics). gas engine? my as well just run a generator. my water pumps that I use for prospecting could run a turbine. they pump 300gpm at 100psi. but it takes a 6.5 horsepower engine, not real easy on gas. the only way to make a hydro system work is to use naturally falling water(unpowered). highdesertranger

Yes. It would not have to be a turbine. Could be a over shot wheel. But never never could it produce more energy than it uses. Wait, this needs a few more never never.
I thought perpetual motion was long ago disproved. Want to buy a bridge?

well, that is true zil it doesn't have to be a turbine. it could be an overshot wheel, but then you need even more water and a wheel house to gear up the overshot wheel to turn a generator. highdesertranger

Wait just a a minute Zil, I'm getting the idea you doubt this can work, is that right!! :)

Actually, I have been thinking a bridge might be a good investment. Do you just happen to have one?!
Bob

Hi, Bob. I bought a part interest in the Ben Franklin bridge, Philadelphia Camden. I am willing to sell half this interest for fare compensation. The investment would produce a small income due to the tolls collected on the west bound lanes. A beautifully hand lettered certificate will be provided, suitable for framing, as well as a wallet card to insure free passage over your part of the bridge. You will need to provide a bank account information, as all income from Easy-Pass is direct deposit.

I've put mine together on shoe string, a 280 watt system, cost only $600, but I unfortunately skimped a little too much when I ordered the Renology solar panel and their el'cheapo 30 amp charge controller package. I should have gone with a better quality charge controller with a remote temperature sensor.

rogue you can always upgrade in the future. nothing wrong with starting out with what you can afford then adding on later. that's what I am doing. highdesertranger

Upgrading the controller is much easier than realizing one did not buy enough solar and has to rework their roof to accommodate/Add more, and then finds the wiring is insufficient to carry the increased current.

Don't ask me how I know. I was able to use the same controller, but when i added 68 more watts I ran thicker cable for the original 130 watts and a parallel 10awg cable for the new panel, and it was a lot of work accommodating that extra cable.

Still wish i spent 35$ more for the SB2512ix model which allows the use of a battery temp sensor.

Zil said:
"Now if you want to talk really intriguing, I just got back from a van rally at Deer Park, and this Swedish fellow was powering his large motorhome with portable micro hydro power. Not much bigger than a milk crate, in a sound proof box. Now THAT was interesting, and he said the total cost was under $200. MAYBE this is the future."
Hydro power? Where did he keep the water fall?
My only regret was buying cheap low efficiency panels.
M. C. Escher came up with a simpler solution:
waterfall.jpg

All we have to do is scale it to fit an RV...

Hi Zil

Around here in NW Montana, our environment is much like Varmland, Sweden. I was in that neighborhood last year. Like that part of Sweden, we also have lots of running water and lakes. I've looked into micro hydroelectric some years ago. Never thought about it in a mobile application. It is more reliable than solar if installed in an appropriate location. Was this a homemade? Did it look like a squirrel cage or Ferris wheel that floated out in the current? I wonder how much power such a small generator as that could produce, yet it would turn 24/7 and on the darkest days, and could be helpful. I also hope to someday experiment with a small wood gasifier for a small generator. During WW2 those were often used in Sweden or Northern Europe as well. Some Swedes still have some of the best bush craft.

Is there anything more you may have gleaned? Based upon your encounter, I'll be chewing on this for sometime. BTW, jag ar selv en halv del svenske.

This deserves it's own thread, but if you are interested, this fellow has a good start on a portable and inexpensive micro hydro plant:

RogueRV2 said:
Hi Zil

Around here in NW Montana, our environment is much like Varmland, Sweden. I was in that neighborhood last year. Like that part of Sweden, we also have lots of running water and lakes. I've looked into micro hydroelectric some years ago. Never thought about it in a mobile application. It is more reliable than solar if installed in an appropriate location. Was this a homemade? Did it look like a squirrel cage or Ferris wheel that floated out in the current? I wonder how much power such a small generator as that could produce, yet it would turn 24/7 and on the darkest days, and could be helpful. I also hope to someday experiment with a small wood gasifier for a small generator. During WW2 those were often used in Sweden or Northern Europe as well. Some Swedes still have some of the best bush craft.

Is there anything more you may have gleaned? Based upon your encounter, I'll be chewing on this for sometime. BTW, jag ar selv en halv del svenske.

anm that pic is great. optical illusion. kind of like the post on the portable hydro plant, an illusion. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
anm that pic is great. optical illusion. kind of like the post on the portable hydro plant, an illusion. highdesertranger
Yep...