Antibiotic gel prevents Lyme's disease infection from tick bites

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmo

Reaction score
Antibiotic gel prevents borreliosis (Lyme’s disease) resulting from tick bites -- ScienceDaily.
Prevention is so much nicer than treatment.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 093939.htm
A total of 1,000 patients with fresh tick bites were treated with the antibiotic gel within 72 hours of being bitten.

Says Jilma: "None of the test subjects went on to develop Lyme borreliosis." Conversely, in the control group that received a placebo, there were seven cases of borreliosis.

The reports sound great. Time will tell
https://www.meduniwien.ac.at/web/en/abo ... ick-bites/
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2016/12 ... e-disease/

I am not in favor of animal testing - but here are the test results using mice.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3910720/
I am not suggesting you should make your own tick cream – however the above article describes about making the cream for the mouse test "Antibiotic creams were prepared with the assistance of a local pharmacy (Good Day Pharmacy, Loveland, CO). A 4% azithromycin cream was prepared by taking 3 tablets (250 mg each) and crushing them in 18.75 gm of Lipoderm cream".  I read somewhere else human dose for ticks is 10%

Should we start smearing “morning after cream” after non-consensual dates with ticks?  That is a personal decision we each have to make.

How to remove a tick (the sooner you remove it the less likely you will be infected).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27McsguL2Og

I did find a naysayer in the USA who flat our stated this won’t work, but they had not done any of their own testing.

For now you will recognize me on the trial – I am the guy carrying tweezers with his pant legs tucked into his socks to try and stop the ticks from crawling up my leg. This look causes female hikers to reach for the pepper spray when they see me coming.

I also carry one of those sticky tape lint rollers in the car to try and get any ticks that are on my clothing. I have not found any ticks on the tape yet so maybe this is an urban myth. But when I take it out everyone wants to borrow it. If someone renames it a Tick Roller they will become very wealthy very quickly..

=Cosmo

I am very skeptical of these claims. ticks suck blood the transmission is internal, how is a topical cream applied after the bite going to help? highdesertranger

I'm skeptical as well. Having suffered from an extremely bad case of Lyme and knowing more about it than I had ever wanted, I'd go with a different train of thought and that's if you get bitten by a tick take a two to three days of doxycycline and you'll kill it at it's onset, including other tick transmitted diseases. I had Lyme and babesosis that went misdiagnosed, wished I had listened to my gut, i thought it was Lyme from day one.

tick removers work well if the tick has just started her diggings. if tick is removed in less than 12 hours, there is little chance of lyme's infection. ticks cause many other infections. note; the antibiotic used is a very strong one with side effects, not the cream you buy on the first aid shelf. remove the embedded tick mouth parts using a needle. heat the point to red, carefully insert into the bite and make a small swirl to cauterize the teeth and bacteria.

So sorry to hear about the lyme...

if you are bitten by a tick, don't use a remover nor pull it in any way. Light that needle FIRST and heat it up, touch it to the butt of the tick and IT WILL PULL IT'S OWN HEAD OUT for you! Voila! (can ya tell I grew up in the south?)

But using that gel sounds like a good idea anyway.

I guess the alternative is to wait and see, or start a round of oral drugs etc.
Until I  have more information I am asking myself "what do I have to loose?"

=Cosmo

I spend so much time in the woods here in Pennsylvania that I am bitten by deer ticks often. I easily pull two dozen off me throughout a year which are actively biting me. I'm a firm believer that getting them off within 24hrs of the initial bite will prevent any Lyme transmission. CDC says 36-48hrs active bite time to transmit. I've been tested every year since 1995 and have yet to come back positive. I bet I've had 50 "bullseyes" in that time. If you check your entire body daily, you should never contract Lyme even if you are being bitten often. As for the antibiotic gel, I'm way too skeptical.

As for DrJean's advice to apply heat to the tick, that is just about the worst thing you can do. The germs which cause Lyme are stored in the salivary glands and gut of the deer tick. Putting heat to the tick makes it "vomit" these germs into the bite and actually increase your odds of contacting Lyme. I've found over the years that fine tipped tweezers are the best method to consistently remove ticks without issue.

DrJean said:

if you are bitten by a tick, don't use a remover nor pull it in any way.  Light that needle FIRST and heat it up,  touch it to the butt of the tick and IT WILL PULL IT'S OWN HEAD OUT for you!  Voila!   (can ya tell I grew up in the south?)

No no no no no!  This is one of if not the worst way to remove a tick.  It can cause it to regurgitate it's stomach contents and then anything the tick is carrying, you're now carrying.  It's the oldest and most popular method of tick removal and is now known to be the worst method.

Studies have shown pulling the tick with tweezers straight up and as close to the head as possible is the best method.

I was describing a method to clean up the bite if the mouth parts stay behind after the tick is removed using any means. The tick takes it's time chewing it's way into you, so the best way is multi-inspections during the day. Especially in the morning when you wake.

DrJean said:

if you are bitten by a tick, don't use a remover nor pull it in any way.  Light that needle FIRST and heat it up,  touch it to the butt of the tick and IT WILL PULL IT'S OWN HEAD OUT for you!  Voila!   (can ya tell I grew up in the south?)

This is not suggested anymore. As mentioned. The agitated tick pukes into your bloodstream.
Tick tools are easy and cheap. This one fits on your key chain.
2af5329fc4653bcd832ad41c66b9933c.jpg

I am trying to curb my sarcasm. REALLY. This is the best I can do.

Ticks have a really small hypostome (the part they insert into the skin). The entire size of a female deer tick is 2.7mm. The best I can estimate, the hypostome is about 150 micrometers (.006") long. If they can extend it further, say 300 micrometers (.012"). That's slightly over one-hundredth of an inch. That's not to the bone.

When the tick is removed, a hole is left. If you spread some antibiotic over the hole, body warmth will help it ooze into the hole. What is it going to hurt?

If you don't have any antibiotic, daub a bit of raw (never heated) honey on the spot. Honey kills every bacteria it meets. EVERY. BACTERIA. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609166/

Taking Doxycycline orally, repeatedly, is not recommended, and I doubt that your doctor is likely to give you a large enough supply for every time you find an embedded tick.

Here is a map where Lyme Disease has been found. The heaviest concentrations of cases have been in the northeast and upper Midwest. https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/reportedcasesoflymedisease_2015.pdf

There are 13 other tick-borne diseases that can affect you. https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/

If you have outdoor pets, check them for ticks, too. They can bring them indoors.

I had no idea about the power of honey! Thanks! :)

Calvetsupply.com is your friend. You can get doxy by the bottle. These are the same antibiotics a doctor prescribes. I keep some handy. Always. One of my little dogs got an anal sac infection a couple of months ago. I emptied the sac (yuck) and did a course of antibiotics for him. No vet bill and he is fine, this wasn't the first time. I have an autoimmune disease that was initially diagnosed as Lymes. When I get a tick bite I take doxy for 5 days. I would rather be safe than sorry.
YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts