another newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljljlj

Reaction score
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Hello!! [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I've been watching Bob's Youtube for the past couple years, but finally decided to create an account on the forum. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I bought a microbus back in April, but realized that I prefer a van, so I am in the process of trying to sell it. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I have zero automotive, construction, and electrical experience, and I have zero "connections," so I am sort of on my own trying to plan out my dream. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I am lucky enough to have some savings and a seasonal remote job for the time being. I am also still in community college, so finances are tough as it is. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The main issue I am having is my own personal decision-making skills. I keep going back-and-forth on whether I should drop more cash (like 10-20k) for a van/build since I will be living full-time, or if I should build as minimally as possible to save money. All I have to my name is this old school bus and my old honda civic.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If anyone has any advice or personal stories if you were in the same situations as myself, I am all ears. I have been open about my plans with my parents, and although they are worried, they do "approve" of me doing this. I feel like I have already written a lot, so I am going to end it here. But if you're reading this, hello, and I hope to see you all on the road sometime ![/font]

edit: Also, the only experience i've had living "tiny" is I lived in an SUV for a week last winter, and I've lived on a boat for a total of a year. Right now I just stay in my room 95% of my time.

Welcome to the forum LJLJLJ. money is a big issue I certainly wish I’d have a savings account to fall back on. My biggest fear is breaking down somewhere and not having money to fix the van. I’m in the process of saving but I don’t have a new van I have a 98 Dodge. Don’t overspend you can live comfortably in a rig that cost a lot less than what the 10 or 20 K you mentioned. Especially if you have to borrow that $ because that’s going to turn into 20 or 30 K till you’re done Paying it. I’m not interested in interest. I’d much rather have an old rig like mine and 10 K in the bank or at least very good credit in case I need it.

You need some practice. Doing it will teach you more than you can learn here. If your school bus is reasonable enough for you to use for a while by some thrift store furniture and try it out. Once you’ve lived in it for maybe a year you’ll know betterwhat you want and much better know how to build it. If your plan is to use the bus temporarily; make sure any equipment you buy is something you could transfer to another vehicle like solar and batteries and all those kind of things.My build is simple I used probably four sheets of plywood, I spent a good bit more than I expected on hardware for doors etc. I also spent $120 on a good vinyl floor one that cleans up easily and it’s water resistant.Biggest investment was solar and battery‘s and refrigerator. For a potty I build a box with A plastic ice cream tub on the top shelf and storage for TP and cleaning supplies down below. Of course there’s a hole in the top which I cover with a hinged lid and seat cushion so it serves two purposes. Chemical toilets stink even before you use them. I’d much rather have a potty that I can take the bag out and put it in the trash Removing the smell from the van. For water I just rely on a 2 1/2 gallon jug with a Spicket. I keep more water in the typical milk jug bottles in a milk crate. For bathing I have a plastic tub about 15“ x 10“ holds up to 2 gallons of water but I don’t use that much. I found the size of the basin should be much bigger than the water use it keeps things from getting messy. I keep my soap toothbrush clean towel and washcloth in that container and I have all the stuff I need to take a bath. I was raised with no running water in the house so taking a bath in a basin is something I’m used to. Although I do love a shower. So someday I will be investing in a shower tent and probably one of those little battery powered pumps and showerheads. I sleep in a recliner especially since I’ve had so many injuries in the past I got Used to the recliner at home and I just put one in the van it works great. I really would like some more room but don’t want to pay more gas than I get now. I’m at 16 miles to the gallon and I can eek 18 or 19 out on the highway if I’m light on speed and acceleration. If I had to I could’ve done it much cheaper than I did but I figure including the batteries and solar the van etc. I’ve got around $7000 in it. the van was 3500 and I could’ve made The build much cheaper than that. Sounds like I’m a old man giving a young man advice and I guess I am. But I’ve Learned the hard way that having debt Is foolishness. And having a savings account is wisdom and peace. I’m up late because I can’t sleep I guess that’s why I rambled on and on here but that’s my advice take it or leave it. But welcome to the forum this is the place to learn and Bob’s videos are comprehensive there’s not much he hasn’t covered. God bless the van dwellers especially the newbies.

Welcome ljljlj to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forum  :)

Since you already have the micro bus (would be nice to see a photo of it or post a link to one that looks like it) why don't you consider going with it.   It could be rigged to tow the Civic.   I did this back in my school days and can tell you stories about all of that.

The Civic could haul stuff like a trailer and still be a spare vehicle if the bus breaks down.  By the way, what year is the Civic ?    Is it a hatch back or a sedan ?   If a sedan,  do the rear seat backs fold down so you would be able to load some cargo into it ?

As for the carpentry skills,  you really don't need a whole lot.  If you need tools, there are places like Harbor Freight and Pawn Stores that specialize in old tools cheap.  But the first chore is to completely empty the bus so it is like a Van.  Then you can collect items for a bed, a cooking table,  camp stove, ice chest etc.  Now is a good time to do this at end of summer as people are selling off summer camping equipment cheap.

Below are a couple of links I'd invite you to look at.  The first for converting a Van or trailer.  The second for planning trips from home or to use while out on the road.   They can help you to get past the impasse of indecision,  and then become proactive in putting your rig together so you can live out of it. 

All the best to you and let us hear more from you.   :thumbsup:

nature lover said:
Welcome to the forum LJLJLJ.  money is a big issue I certainly wish I’d have a savings account to fall back on. My biggest fear is breaking down somewhere and not having money to fix the van. I’m in the process of saving but I don’t have a new van I have a 98 Dodge. Don’t overspend you can live comfortably in a rig that cost a lot less than what the 10 or 20 K you mentioned. Especially if you have to borrow that $ because that’s going to turn into 20 or 30 K till you’re done Paying it.  I’m not interested in interest. I’d much rather have an old rig like mine and 10 K in the bank or at least very good credit in case I need it.

You need some practice. Doing it will teach you more than you can learn here. If your school bus is reasonable enough for you to use for a while by some thrift store furniture and try it out. Once you’ve lived in it for maybe a year you’ll know betterwhat you want and much better know how to build it. If your plan is to use the bus temporarily; make sure any equipment you buy is something you could transfer to another vehicle like solar and batteries and all those kind of things.My build is simple I used probably four sheets of plywood, I spent a good bit more than I expected on hardware for doors etc. I also spent $120 on a good vinyl floor one that cleans up easily and it’s water resistant.Biggest investment was solar and battery‘s and refrigerator. For a potty I build a box with A plastic ice cream tub on the top shelf and storage for TP and cleaning supplies down below. Of course there’s a hole in the top which I cover with a hinged lid and seat cushion so it serves two purposes. Chemical toilets stink even before you use them.  I’d much rather have a potty that I can take the bag out and put it in the trash Removing the smell from the van. For water I just rely on a 2 1/2 gallon jug with a Spicket. I keep more water in the typical milk jug bottles in a milk crate. For bathing I have a plastic tub about 15“ x 10“ holds up to 2 gallons of water but I don’t use that much. I found the size of the basin should be much bigger than the water use it keeps things from getting messy. I keep my soap toothbrush clean towel and washcloth in that container and I have all the stuff I need to take a bath.  I was raised with no running water in the house so taking a bath in a basin is something I’m used to. Although I do love a shower. So someday I will be investing in a shower tent and probably one of those little battery powered pumps and showerheads. I sleep in a recliner especially since I’ve had so many injuries in the past I got Used to the recliner at home and I just put one in the van it works great. I really would like some more room but don’t want to pay more gas than I get now. I’m at 16 miles to the gallon and I can eek 18 or 19 out on the highway if I’m light on speed and acceleration.  If I had to I could’ve done it much cheaper than I did but I figure including the batteries and solar the van etc. I’ve got around $7000 in it. the van was 3500 and I could’ve made The build much cheaper than that.  Sounds like I’m a old man giving a young man advice and I guess I am. But I’ve Learned the hard way that having debt Is foolishness. And having a savings account is wisdom and peace.  I’m up late because I can’t sleep I guess that’s why I rambled on and on here but that’s my advice take it or leave it. But welcome to the forum this is the place to learn and Bob’s videos are comprehensive there’s not much he hasn’t covered. God bless the van dwellers especially the newbies.

That's so true. I really think I should just find a decent / well-maintained van and get the barest necessities and head out and see exactly what I need before I spend loads of money. Before I bought the school bus, I never really did too much research on them (only vans). The issue with the bus, is I will have to change the registration because it's listed as commercial, it's terrible gas mileage, and since the tank is so small, I would have to refill it constantly. It was a very cheap option if I were stationary where I bought it, but I do want to do some traveling before I settle somewhere for the most part. I'm also thinking, of just heading out in my car. I do think that it will be too small for me any my preferences, but if I cannot find the right van for me, it's definitely a starting option. 

My necessities include a good mattress, solar, a portable stove, and a "toilet." and I essential have the last two. I also have solar already (still in the box), but I am so scared to hook it up. It was a big investment, so I don't want to ruin anything. I know Bob has a lot of informational videos, but solar is still scary to me. 

Thank you for taking the time to write out your tips and everything, I really appreciate it! Wishing you all the best!

highdesertranger said:
Welcome ljljlj to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. 

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Thank you for the link! I am still browsing around the forum and getting my "footing" on things, but I will definitely check out that tab!
Wishing you the best!

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL Forum  :)

Since you already have the micro bus (would be nice to see a photo of it or post a link to one that looks like it) why don't you consider going with it.   It could be rigged to tow the Civic.   I did this back in my school days and can tell you stories about all of that.

The Civic could haul stuff like a trailer and still be a spare vehicle if the bus breaks down.  By the way, what year is the Civic ?    Is it a hatch back or a sedan ?   If a sedan,  do the rear seat backs fold down so you would be able to load some cargo into it ?

As for the carpentry skills,  you really don't need a whole lot.  If you need tools, there are places like Harbor Freight and Pawn Stores that specialize in old tools cheap.  But the first chore is to completely empty the bus so it is like a Van.  Then you can collect items for a bed, a cooking table,  camp stove, ice chest etc.  Now is a good time to do this at end of summer as people are selling off summer camping equipment cheap.

Below are a couple of links I'd invite you to look at.  The first for converting a Van or trailer.  The second for planning trips from home or to use while out on the road.   They can help you to get past the impasse of indecision,  and then become proactive in putting your rig together so you can live out of it. 

All the best to you and let us hear more from you.   :thumbsup:
Hello! Thanks for the welcome! 

I will attach pics to this reply with my bus. It is currently in FL where my dad lives, but I had to come back home to MO when this semester started to get everything in order, so it's just sitting... I just don't think it's a practical option for me. I've been wanting to live on the road (in a van) for about 4-5 years now, and never really considered a school bus until this one popped up. It was cheap & already had the floors finished, so it was sort of an impulse buy. But with the bad gas mileage, being *super* noticeable, and other things, I don't think it's the best option for me. I already put a lot of money into it and already purchased almost all of the items I was going to install, but doing it on my own was a part of the trouble. 

I have a 2009 civic hybrid sedan -- not sure if the seats fold all the way down. I love my civic though. Amazing gas mileage (obviously) and just super reliable. I am just not sure if I could be comfortable living in it full-time as I could in a van. When I spent the two weeks in the SUV it was not bad either, so that's also an option. 

That's smart! I usually check FB marketplace for items, but I will also check those places for tools as I have none. The house for the room i'm renting had caught fire a couple weeks ago, so a lot of the power tools were ruined, and it would just be good to have some for myself. 

And thank you for the links, I will check them out. I also read your story on your other reply. That was really nice of your father to help give you that "push" you needed! And yes, my life is filled with my issues of decision-making, so I hope it helps!

***here is the link to the bus pictures: ***

Thank you for your reply, and wishing you the best!

why not try a limited trip living in the honda?  if you can do that without imploding you can then go bigger.  diving in huge does not make you better at dong it.  baby steps can be useful.

The interior space in that bus looks inviting. What kind of engine does it have and how bad is the mileage as I said in my last post I get 16 and 18 if I’m lucky. The big interior temptS me because I’d love to have a nice desk and a shower. But if the mileage is that bad I can learn to live without it. I think your school buses end up using heavy duty tires too. They are much more expensive then tires for a regular van. I just had to buy a new set of four for $500 for this thing and I think the school buses are much more. Especially those with Dooleys in the back. Maybe an old school bus with engine blown up iwould make a decent thing to live in as a tiny house and then my good van could go out gallivanting. Hope your dreams come true. Maybe I’ll see you in Florida this winter. Again God bless the van dwellers all of us.

Hi sorry for replying so late! The gas mileage with the bed and stuff is about 17mpg. It's a 5.7L. I don't live in Florida, but my dad does and that's where my bus is parked for now. I'm just hoping to sell it to help save some for a van.

If you can get 17 miles per gallon you’re doing better than I am in my dodge the most I can get out of it 16 and around town it’s 13. I’m jealous.

Why not keep and use what you bought? Sure, you'll find things you don't like about it but it works. Using it and posting a for sale sign in the window is probably the best advert possible for it.