Aluminum Pop Top?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollaways

Reaction score
Hello, first time poster!
During the search for our dream van, we stumbled across a '69 Ford Econoline with an aluminum pop top. It was honestly the main reason we even humored buying a van that old and worn-in.

We love the functionality of pop-tops, but don't like the look of fabric, and it seems like they're all made of fabric. 
We realize there are surely flaws in having a pop-top like the one below, but it was a perfect fit for our ideal build.

After doing research online, I figured out it's the Freeway Traveler conversion, made by Dodge in '66. We can't seem to find ANY other info on it online, only pictures of the brochure. No listings for purchase, on a car or not.

We're looking for more info & your thoughts on this pop-top. If we can't track one down at salvage yards, we want to re-create it. Or pay someone to, I guess someone who works with metal? Any tips/advice? Thanks!  :heart:  (For reference, we have a Ford '90 Club Wagon)

Here's what the pop top looks like:
W9ZQNC9.jpg

xFQPead.jpg

XYbalyW.jpg

Ford-Econoline-Travel-Wagon.jpgI have something similar from a 64 Econoline Travelwagon that I junked years ago. I built a camper for my Toyota pickup to put it on which I'm camping in right now. Its a very clever design that goes up in a couple seconds. Sturdy and doesn't leak. You might still be able to find one at a wrecking yard somewhere. The top was made by Calthorp in England.

Ford-Econoline-Travel-Wagon.jpg

Attachments

• Ford-Econoline-Travel-Wagon.jpg
    Ford-Econoline-Travel-Wagon.jpg
    103.5 KB
IMG_20190108_063535_595.jpg

Sorry for the funky formatting. My browser gives me trouble on this site. Here is my camper which I'm camping in right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20190108_063535_595.jpg
    IMG_20190108_063535_595.jpg
    249.6 KB
Cool van, but near impossible to find. Maybe you could design a similar set up for a newer/larger cargo van, and still be able to give it some character.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

hugemoth said:
I have something similar from a 64 Econoline Travelwagon that I junked years ago. I built a camper for my Toyota pickup to put it on which I'm camping in right now. Its a very clever design that goes up in a couple seconds. Sturdy and doesn't leak. You might still be able to find one at a wrecking yard somewhere. The top was made by Calthorp in England.
This is SO helpful, thanks! Unlike the '66 square version, I've been able to find a lot info on these. I found a listing and may buy one, actually! WAY cheaper than Fiberine.

hugemoth said:
Sorry for the funky formatting. My browser gives me trouble on this site. Here is my camper which I'm camping in right now.
Thank you, this is cool!

ckelly78z said:
Cool van, but near impossible to find. Maybe you could design a similar set up for a newer/larger cargo van, and still be able to give it some character.

BTW, welcome to the forums.
Seriously impossible to find! I'm surprised the '62 pop tops are easier to track down.

I have a canvas pop-up top. I can't say as I understand your objection to them. Sure a fiberglass top might be more stable but I like the improved mileage and reduced weight I get with a canvas pop-up. I have had it up in lots of stormy weather and had zero leaks. But when I put the new fabric in I did choose a UV resistant fabric that is urethane coated on the inside.