Alo, Alo!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisK

Reaction score
Hello folks! I'm a 74 year old widower – lost my wife back in 2005. I know, first-hand, how crippling depression can be – that realization took quite a long time for me as I am usually the last person to know how I feel about things. That enlightenment came to me the other day when I woke up and looked out the window: “.... another empty day” I said to myself. Those words surprised me. Is that what I think of my life – empty? Yes … that is how I've been living for the last 13 years. I remember decades earlier, Gayle and I had a cab-over camper we put on a ¾ ton pickup. That thing took us on numerous vacations, and countless weekend trips. Once, we even drove it up the AlCan into Alaska where we loaded onto a ferry from Homer to Prince Rupert – and then down into California where we lived. Those were good times. Remembering this, I started searching YouTube for anything dealing with RVs. That is when I became acquainted with Bob's videos and the idea of becoming a “Snow Bird”. I need a new paradigm to my day to day life, I need to take a spiritual journey, I need to heal … I think a good used class C motor home would suit my needs. My biggest burden to this idea is that I have four dogs, and they are my last source of joy. I will not give them up. I'm not sure how I am going to deal with this, yet.

Welcome aboard, DennisK.

I'm not sure I understand why there's any question about bringing your dogs. I wouldn't go nomad or snowbird without a dog. Two wouldn't bother me one bit. For that matter, I wouldn't live stationary without a dog.

Are you concerned that there's simply not enough room for four of them? Perhaps there are difficulties. But I'd just make it work without second thoughts.

Howdy Mr. Dennis,

It's always good to know what one needs. In your case, you're in luck, because they make some really huge Class C motorhomes, especially for people with 4 dogs!

The Dire Wolfess

Your dogs will only make traveling more fun.

Yes, they will have to be considered iwith every decision. One or four won't change that.

Welcome Dennis to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. you have come to the right place, dogs are welcome here. highdesertranger

Hello DennisK and welcome to the forum! The difference between being mobile with 4 dogs and staying in a S&b with 4 dogs is not really that much. You are already used to caring for the needs of your pack at home. This isn't going to be that much more complicated.
Happy Travels,
~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

If you aren't thinking of going offroad, and doing alot of boondocking into wild areas, I think a medium sized 23'-26' class C would be perfect for your needs. It is large enough for you, and your dogs, but still small enough to be maneuvered through traffic, or a campground.

I agree with others here -- you're already caring for your dogs, so doing it on the road won't be much different. The only thing I would add is that if you stay at RV parks and many campsites, they need to be leashed while outdoors. Boondocking, not so much. It sounds like a change of scenery and heck, just being in nature, could provide some much needed change in your life. I say go for it.

Hi DennisK, Welcome! Plenty of room in a small class C for you and the puppys... so take 'em with you. They'll appreciate the adventure too. Lots to do and see out there; lots of new friends to meet. I'll second, a smaller class C is better, more agile, easier to park...

HI
Another empty day finally triggered you out and are making you think of living your life as you see fit again.
I loved reading that!!

Dogs. No troubles unless you feel they are. You care for them just like ya would any other day. You and your dogs on the road, finding new adventures and you will know that bringing them is not a hassle, it can be a joy :)

Move forward. Do not let anything block you now. Your dogs are not a block at all, they are a joy ya just take on the road now :)