Algae in water containers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobflhtc

Reaction score

1. I use two 5 gallon clear water cooler containers and I noticed some algae accumulating. I use some bleach and let them sit and flush them out. It seems like I have to flush them once or twice a year. I also perform the same procedure for my rv tank. It's one reason I like clear containers. How does everyone else handle this?

You can add a small amount of bleach to the tanks each fill-up as in drops the parts per million formula should be easy to find.
I usually empty and sun dry mine every two weeks or so. I still do a bleach wash before filling. So far no I'll effects.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I use the bleach solution method at least twice a year. I like to leave the bleach in for a couple days and drive around with it in the tank. when I flush it out I run the pump and run the solution through the system. then I refill and drive around and repeat the flush. highdesertranger

I started out vandwelling with two 7-gallon jugs, because everyone said to carry lots of water. But they took up so much room, so I got rid of one. I'd rather refill more often and have the space. Then I realized the 7-gallon jug was inconveniently bulky and awkward to handle. And I was using far less water than people said I would. So I gave away the second 7-gallon jug and switched to ordinary 1-gallon jugs. At first I had six of them, then four, now only two. I go through the water in those two jugs fast enough that algae doesn't have time to grow. But if a jug starts looking questionable, I toss it and pick up another gallon of water at the store. I'm not one of those who spends long uninterrupted periods far from easy water supplies, so restocking my water is no big deal.

Clear containers are a double-edged sword. On one hand, you can see when they're getting yucky. On the other, they let in light, which is why you have algae. Algae are a plant. They require light for photosynthesis. No light= no algae. Of course there are other nasties that can grow in stored water. If I am storing water for more than a couple of weeks, I add a few drops of chlorine bleach, and when it comes time to use that water I pour it through a filter to get rid of the bleach and anything else that has made its way in, like heavy metals and any microbial contaminants. I really like the Lifestraw filter. It's simple, extremely portable, and effective.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FM9OBQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_raUmBb5ZDAZXP

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I use nothing but the 1 gallon water jugs but I carry 9 gallons usually. I have 2 'milk crate' style containers I bought at H/D to store the jugs in.

When the jugs start looking a little gungy I replace them and use the old jugs for the liquid containers in my C-Head toilet. When they get too ugly for that is when they go in the landfill.

The 1 gallon jugs are easy to acquire, light to handle and I re-purpose them!

Blocking out the light should help!  Around here you run black tanks or build sheds around your tanks if they let light in for just that reason.

My concrete cistern is old fashion, but sidesteps all these issues.

For these reasons I tend to carry water in stainless steel (most often) or light proof jerrycans if I’m going to be out and about a while!

A second heavier option in another direction is glass jugs!  I travel with a couple gallon ones that originally had cider in them.  Glass isn’t porous like plastic and generally cleans up better when they need cleaning!

The porous nature of plastic is why you can’t really ever clean out plastic enough to trust it if it’s had poisonous or other nasty stuff in it!

SD

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I need to treat more frequently

I use plastic Igloo water dispensers, the kind that look like a cylinder, with a pour spout on top and a handle on top. Fairly easy to manipulate and pour carefully. The spout gives me enough control that I can even water a houseplant or fill an ice cube tray. I have two of those. They come in a nylon cloth sleeve.

I always have an empty 2-liter bottle by my bedside, as I tend to wake up thirsty at some point during the night now. They are easy to keep water-tight and uncomplicated to open and close when I'm bleary and mostly asleep, plus easy to tuck into smallish spaces. And I keep an extra one full of water in case I space out and forget to fill the first. If I want a quick drink or have no time, it's easiest to handle smaller containers.

I've looked at the 5 gallon and 7 gallon water containers at our local stores and online, but they look huge and hard to either store or use. Some of them are extra bulky because they have giant handles too ... I just find it easier to have smaller, easier to store containers. And if I ever need more or less I just buy or throw away a 2-liter bottle.

Dingfelder said:
I use plastic Igloo water dispensers, the kind that look like a cylinder, with a pour spout on top and a handle on top.
Please link to an example, if the pour spout is really on top

I assumed you meant the bigger ones, since 1-gal jugs are free.

John61CT said:
Please link to an example, if the pour spout is really on top

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Legend...g9jL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1&psc=1

Mine looks like the second picture down except it came wrapped in a nylon jacket that has a pocket for one of those blue-ice type thingies.  I've never taken that off, so I don't know if the bottom is the same.

Terrible reviews on Amazon, but I got mine at least five years ago from Rite Aid and they are still going strong.  Maybe the product went downhill?  

There is always a leak problem with anything like this, I find, if you do not make sure the threads are perfectly dry before screwing on the lid.  Do that and with this and other such items I have, you'll be fine.  So the leak part, in the reviews, might simply be user error.

Latest posts