Air conditioning utility bill issue

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesalex

Reaction score
Air conditioner utility bill abnormally high as compared to the last month. Does anyone knows the causes behind it and let me know how can I resolve this issue.

Either it was hotter or they changed the rate. There is always the chance that there is something wrong with the A/C unit that causes it to use more juice.

1. Hotter temps
2. Rate change (higher per kwh)
3. A/C unit problem
4. Rate plan change (average billing)
5. Meter problem
6. Meter read wrong

Is this related to the vent not working post a few days ago?

My electricity bill jumped from $20 a month to a whopping $60 suddenly and I couldn't figure it out. I called the electric company and told them everything in my apartment that used electricity (which isn't much). My problem ended up being the refrigerator. I explained to the landlord and they brought me a new refrigerator. My bill went back down to $20 month after that.

I know my situation has nothing to do with air-conditioning but it's an example of what might be causing your higher electric bill.

I have a 12000 BTU window unit at home. I have to clean it twice a year or it gets all gummed up from cigarette smoke and then dust sticks to it. If I don't clean it, it will run the compressor more and more to maintain temperature until finally the coils ice up. Not good for the electric bill.

I have to take it outside, take the cover off and spray it down with degreaser then get a toothbrush or similar and scrub the coils then hose it all off.

They also make a product called coil cleaner that serves the same purpose

Edit:
I forgot to mention that you don't have to be a smoker for the unit to get clogged up. Oils from cooking (and probably other sources I can't think of right now) will eventually do the same thing

Thank you guys for your valuable response. I’ll definitely go through the suggested steps.

Are we talking in a home or in an rv park? If a park, it's possible someone else was using electricity on your circuit or the meter was misread.