Again with the Fear

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt about that.  I am concerned for my survival out there at this point.  If the build out can help, I'm nothing short of saved, but I won't have any more info for about a week.  I can survive if I drive everyday to get out there, if I can do that, but once I get there, I mean I have like, no power.  I'm very worried.

The build is behind a Walmart. You can get what you need for 'living' there. Just get on the road and go. The rest will fall into place.

Female , don't use solar ...started with using ice and cooler , past two weeks haven't used ice ...I think one adjusts to their own needs ...I like staying out of town so I've been doing little , simple meals ...for example .  Good thoughts to you

The more you get out of your comfort zone the more you will be comfortable getting out of your comfort zone. Like the commercial says, you just gotta "do it". I always feel a little off going into a new town to camp in. But the feeling doesn't last very long. Once I'm there and get a feel for it then it feels natural pretty quickly.

As to getting the van done.. It will never be done. There will always be things to do. Things to re do. Things that you want to do to make it better. Things to do to keep it on the road. When I started my build I was overwhelmed when I thought of all the things that I would need to do to build it out the way I had planned. What I ended up doing is just having the next 3 projects that I was working on written down. If I only thought about 3 then that didn't seem too hard to do.

Some weeks I was only working on one project and some weeks all 3 intersected. Once one of those projects was completed then I would add another thing to the list. There was no use in my thinking about step 97 while I was still on step 7. Just take things one step at a time. If the van is livable then you are good to go. You will always then be able to work on a project and make it better. And when that project is done there will be another project to work on to make it better yet again.

I'm finding that living in a van is not that different then living in a house. Always things to do. Always little projects going on. It's just a smaller space is all.

Ok so I hit the road, much later than planned, took a long time to load the van the first time, finding spaces and weeding things out. It has been a funny trip. Most of my energy has been consumed by driving, especially since the rig is new to me. I basically drove and slept. Got pretty tired doing that and my left shoulder is sore from driving in crosswinds. It's good though too because, well, did you see that sunset? Oh look there's a truck stop. It's the little things. I'm about halfway or almost now, plugged in and resting (it's worth it at the moment), waiting on the caravan to Ehrenberg. They have a shower here. Lol. It really is the little things. The big things, like the support I've found, priceless. Couldn't do it without ya. The fear is slowly lessening. I am breathing today.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Spa day today, pretty fun. A nap. Dinner. Walks with my dog. Back stretches. But this is what fun looks like for me today. Hey when I walk outside, it's not my backyard, it's my momentary backyard. Loving that. [emoji6]

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

My first RV was a well cared for but used motorhome and I learned that it was a potential nightmare. As much as I like to drive down the road in a Class A, for this full time life, I much rather have a stock factory vehicle, in my case, I'm planning on a Ford Transit van, and a travel trailer. That way the van is cookie cutter for a shop to work on and the trailer likely is something I can fix on my own simply by changing parts as need be. The motorhome was too big and too complex for me to really fix anything myself on it.

I switched from that to a 5th wheel and what a difference in my comfort level, not having the truck chassis and powertrain to worry about. I don't travel with the 5th wheel, just use it as a home base instead of renting or buying a condo or house. With my motorhome, the longer it sat undriven, the worse systems got like the a/c and the hydraulic parking brake. It cost me $700 alone simply to have a mechanic remove the hydraulic pump and put new seals in it. No thanks....done with motorhomes....

So I working my way towards simpler systems....for example, the 5th wheel has autoleveling jacks....really nice but for a boondocking nomad, that ain't gonna fly. So this won't be my nomad trailer plus it's too big for what I want to do off grid. It's amazing for what I'm doing now. Eventually, I will get a 19-23' travel trailer and put solar on it and pull it with the Transit van.