Advise for a Head CLearing Road Trip

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vantastic

Reaction score
Hi Roadsters!

Figured this the best place to seek some advise about hitting the road.

Short story:
Lost mother which was hard enough, but the family "shit storm" after
brutal...zero support...lots of shame issues, etc...

I have tried to deal with this, but need to clear my head.  I seek advise
for a month long trip.  I am in So Cal...it is HOT right now and am in my
car.  Will buy a WalMart tent, waterproof, do some mods and basic
items like;
* cooler modified with insulation to extend ice life
* butane burner...$20 w/several cans of butane stored in a cool place
* 4 man tent waterproofed--pop-up easy style
* sleeping comforter/air mattress
* cheap sleeping bag --it's summer*
* folding chair/table...possibly an air inflated couch if I get a larger tent
* Luci solar lights--great reviews
* bug spray, sunblock, hat, etc...
* get auto oil change, inspection for travel

Looked at freecamping...BLM land, etc...

Can someone share a route or specific locations to visit that will help here?

Thanks!  Open to all feedback--the good, the bad, the ugly on hitting the road!

Go to Freecampsites.net and click on the trip planner if you want to do some travelling, otherwise just give it a general area where you want to go and pick your spot.

Check the campsite descriptions and find someplace lovely to camp.

Google the elevation of the places you want to visit and make sure that it's high enough to be comfortable for you.

If you forget anything there's always a store and/or a Goodwill location somewhere nearby.

Plan on either spending a lot of time fishing, hiking or reading or any combination of the three... :D 

Let nature do her healing job on you!

Sorry to hear of your loss and the yucky aftermath! Nature is so, so wonderful for helping to heal the soul!! I certainly can't top AT's advice but wanted to give you a little support!!

Worry is a misuse of imagination!

I hated reading your quote...at first, but it got stuck in me...
I mulled it over and over for a week...I hated it because it
was ME...and I want to be free of it...that quote inspired me to
seek this thread! Thanks...

Agree with previous suggestions. I'd look at a weather forecast, pick a place with half-way decent prediction go there and veg. Take time to simply be there, don't rush about. A place with some type of water within hiking distance is always a plus for me. Chill with a book. Hike out and stop for 1/2 hour-more just listening and looking at what is happening around you even if it doesn't appear to be much. You will start to see the little things moving about or making noise. Breathe in Breathe out

...SORRY, Edit button disappeared on previous post...
I guess you only get so much time after you make a post???

Vantastic said:
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

I hated reading your quote...at first, but it got stuck in me...
I mulled it over and over for a week...I hated it because it
was ME...and I want to be free of it...that quote inspired me to
seek this thread!  Thanks...

Anyone on the Adventure Pass???  I did the trip planner and
saw a ton of free camping to Mammoth Mountain, but when I
did a 1:1 for many, there were $20 a night on sites...

Would the Adventure Pass cover this...$30 a year so no biggie.

My condolences!

15 minutes to edit.

> Anyone on the Adventure Pass??? I did the trip planner and
> saw a ton of free camping to Mammoth Mountain, but when I
> did a 1:1 for many, there were $20 a night on sites...

I can't answer your specific question above. However, you are aware the pass is for Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres and San Bernardino National Forests?

This page will help clarify if needed: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r5/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5208418#citation

Up 395 on the east side of the Sierras--FANTASTIC! Go up into the High Sierras and do some hike and camping.

The Sierras are great this time of year, as is the Coast Range but - stay above 4 thousand ft or so elevation, it's just too hot right now lower down.
Big trees in the Sierra are mostly between 4 and 9 thousand ft elevation, and you usually lose around 3 degrees temp for each thousand ft of elevation.
Fire restrictions have tightened up in the Sierras, but a butane stove with a current fire permit is ok most places.

"you are aware the pass is for Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres and San Bernardino National Forests?""

I am now...thanks! Also, didn't think of a fire permit for using a small butane burner to cook with.
Silly question maybe...but do you all make a fire at night during the summer...allowed?
Not wise? I saw the fire pits at a site I visited and call this an OCD thing...but I tend to
'hold 'onto' stuff like "Did I really put that fire out OK before bed?"...even after dowsing with
water, waiting, water again...go to tent...get up to check if fire is out...possibly repeat one more time.

Head for the mountains. Blast through the desert as fast as you can and get to the Rockies. Lots of National Forest camping, and the higher elevations will be cooler.

The trouble with traveling this time of year is that it's vacation season for most people. So campgrounds and National Parks will be jammed.

A couple of thoughts.

Find a copy of William Least Book,  "Blue Highways".   Story about a guy who goes on the road to clear his head due to family problems.   It may benefit you to give it a look over.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Highways-Journey-into-America/dp/0316353299

The websites below....look at the one on the bottom.  "eDJ's autoservice"  it is a portal of links to handy websites
that could be a lot of help for you in planning a journey,  taking side trips while traveling,  and a lot more.  It can make life a lot more comfortable while you are on the road and have you feeling reassured that you can get away from it all an be happy.   All the best !

If you need some music to clear your head about the funnest thing I think you can listen to is Parov Stelar.
Not for everyone but it always lifts my mood and keeps my motivation up.
Try: Catgroove, Booty Swing, Chambermaid Swing, Phantom, and Libella Swing.
All on Youtube. If that music can't bring a smile to your face and clear your head then I dunno, haha.

Vantastic said:
Hi Roadsters!

Figured this the best place to seek some advise about hitting the road.

Short story:
Lost mother which was hard enough, but the family "shit storm" after
brutal...zero support...lots of shame issues, etc...

I have tried to deal with this, but need to clear my head.  I seek advise
for a month long trip.  I am in So Cal...it is HOT right now and am in my
car.  Will buy a WalMart tent, waterproof, do some mods and basic
items like;
* cooler modified with insulation to extend ice life
* butane burner...$20 w/several cans of butane stored in a cool place
* 4 man tent waterproofed--pop-up easy style
* sleeping comforter/air mattress
* cheap sleeping bag --it's summer*
* folding chair/table...possibly an air inflated couch if I get a larger tent
* Luci solar lights--great reviews
* bug spray, sunblock, hat, etc...
* get auto oil change, inspection for travel

Looked at freecamping...BLM land, etc...

Can someone share a route or specific locations to visit that will help here?

Thanks!  Open to all feedback--the good, the bad, the ugly on hitting the road!

Have you thought about Wwoofing? - Check out https://wwoofusa.org/ - staying on someone's land work exchange.  Free room and board. This reply is late. Hope your trip has served you well thus far