AC cold in rear but warm in driver's cabin?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWhale

Reaction score
Weird. Should I add in a can of r134a?

It blows kind of cold with the "rear blower" setting to the back of the Dodge B1500 van, but up front, it's warm air.

it's all one system. get yourself a thermometer stick it right inside a vent let it stabilize, do this front and rear then compare. they should be a few degrees of each other. if the front is significantly warmer you have a blend door issue. if neither one goes to around 50 or slightly below you have other issue which could be a low charge. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
if the front is significantly warmer you have a blend door issue.   highdesertranger

What does this mean, "blend door issue", thanks.

there a doors in the AC/heater system that direct the flow of air(blend doors). these doors are activated by vacuum or electric. if the doors are not operating correctly, you could be blowing cold air but cant feel it. do the thermometer test first. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
there a doors in the AC/heater system that direct the flow of air(blend doors).  these doors are activated by vacuum or electric.  if the doors are not operating correctly, you could be blowing cold air but cant feel it.  do the thermometer test first.  highdesertranger

I had that happen and it ended up just being a vacuum line had cracked

I don't know anything about how mobile units work, but is it possible some of these have two expansion valves, one for each evaporator? If not, I would think icing could be a problem on the coils of whichever one has it's fan off or turned lower than the other one.

Hmm, it worked fine today for both the front and back. Man, I hate that. Just not that cool so I think there's a leak.