about to pull the trigger ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamweaver

Reaction score
After stowing my bike AND a bike trailer in the back of a VW hatchback for the last year, it was time to find a better way. But I didn't want an SUV or a minivan or a light truck ... all those things are serious overkill one way or another. So I looked forever for something not too small and not too big and then I finally stumbled on the Ford Transit Connect (the van - not the wagon). And I test drove one. And I put down a deposit. And I'm planning to go through with it at the end of the week. I've mentioned this to a few friends and they all think I'm nuts. But I'm single, I'm semi-retired, and I could use some more outdoor time. And I'm loving the idea of a little home away from home. Or maybe just a portable porch. I'm not about to give up my apartment but I am inspired by all the folks who have figured out how to live in a van. I will probably start with a camping chair and a little dog bed for my best friend. I've already got the camping hammock (which is awesome BTW). Anyway - I'm excited about all the possibilities and a place to learn some DIY tricks. And of course, a roomier place to stow my bike/trailer. I think the Transit Connect is perfect for me. But I am a little nervous because I don't know anyone who's gone this route. This is why we have the internet. Right?   :rolleyes:

Welcome to the CRVL forums dreamweaver! We'd all love to see what you do with your van so please keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Most of our friends and family think we're nuts. You must be in the right place!

There are several Transit Connect owners and conversions here. Looks to be a popular vehicle.

Madpeep said:
Most of our friends and family think we're nuts. You must be in the right place!

Thank you. I knew there had to be others. I'm just wondering why there aren't more of us. Maybe it's always like this when you're on the cutting edge. :)

dreamweaver said:
Thank you. I knew there had to be others. I'm just wondering why there aren't more of us. Maybe it's always like this when you're on the cutting edge. :)

Once you've discovered this way of living/traveling you soon learn to look around and all of a sudden you find a whole lot of other people who are doing the same thing! You just never noticed them before.

It also helps to look in the right places - the desert around Yuma/Quartzite in the middle of January for example... :D  The National Forests in July for another. There are lots and lots of us out there, we look just like any one else except our debt and our stress loads are below the national average...way, way below!!

Dennis said:
There are several Transit Connect owners and conversions here.  Looks to be a popular vehicle.

It's funny, I don't normally run with the crowd. In fact, if something's really popular, that usually tells me to steer clear. But I guess it helps to know there are at least a few other Transit Connect folks out there. Even if you don't like crowds, a handful of like-minded pioneers is nice to have on hand. Good to be here!

Every Road Leads Home said:
Only way I'd consider you crazy is if you didn't go through with it!  Welcome to the wonderful world of CheapRVliving.

Very nice encouragement. Thank you! 

I was a little worried because I've never driven anything very big before. I'm used to smaller vehicles. But I just checked the dimensions of the Transit Connect and it's only 4" wider and 6" longer than my VW Golf. And that's with the L-O-N-G wheel base. So that was a surprise. I'm obviously a total noobie when it comes to vans.   :p

dreamweaver said:
Very nice encouragement. Thank you! 

I was a little worried because I've never driven anything very big before. I'm used to smaller vehicles. But I just checked the dimensions of the Transit Connect and it's only 4" wider and 6" longer than my VW Golf. And that's with the L-O-N-G wheel base. So that was a surprise. I'm obviously a total noobie when it comes to vans.   :p

You will love the extra visibility that a higher vehicle gives you.

Everyone was a newbie at one time or another. Some of us have decades of vans behind us and some are just starting out but most everyone delights in answering questions and there is no such thing as a dumb one!!

A lot of us have vehicles older than when the first Transit Connect was built .
As time passes and vehicles get replaced and new vandwellers start out (like you) the #s will come up.
Maybe some day it will become the new version of the Chevy cargo van,,,,,,,i said maybe !

I had a 2011 FTT and loved it. So easy to drive and perfect for me for camping. I was able to stow a tent, queen air mattress, screenhouse, shower tent, shower bag and hose, broom, hanging clothes, two coolers, Luggable Loo in an ottoman ... well, just about everything a camping gal could need. I added a remote camera and Sirius radio as upgrades. Unfortunately, I had to sell it when hubby and I decided to travel for a few months in a larger motorhome. There's a link of some of my pics from a Facebook album. I'm an older gal and glamp my campers, so keep that in mind. :rolleyes:  I know you will love your new ride!

I called it the "Baby B - The Glamper Cramper Van". Ford Transit Connect Camper

Almost There said:
Once you've discovered this way of living/traveling you soon learn to look around and all of a sudden you find a whole lot of other people who are doing the same thing! You just never noticed them before.

It also helps to look in the right places - the desert around Yuma/Quartzite in the middle of January for example... :D  The National Forests in July for another. There are lots and lots of us out there, we look just like any one else except our debt and our stress loads are below the national average...way, way below!!

I love this reply!  :)

CarrieLeigh said:
I had a 2011 FTT and loved it. So easy to drive and perfect for me for camping. I was able to stow a tent, queen air mattress, screenhouse, shower tent, shower bag and hose, broom, hanging clothes, two coolers, Luggable Loo in an ottoman ... well, just about everything a camping gal could need. I added a remote camera and Sirius radio as upgrades. Unfortunately, I had to sell it when hubby and I decided to travel for a few months in a larger motorhome. There's a link of some of my pics from a Facebook album. I'm an older gal and glamp my campers, so keep that in mind. :rolleyes:  I know you will love your new ride!

I called it the "Baby B - The Glamper Cramper Van". Ford Transit Connect Camper

Wow. That's a lotta stuff! I'm really looking forward to my first overnight in the van. In fact, I'll be super excited if it rains. I can't hear the rain in my apartment and I miss it. I'm sure that's no big whoop for the van-savvy, but falling rain sounds and smells would be heavenly to me. When you live in an apartment, a van comes with special bonuses!