About my charge controller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markw

Reaction score
So I have a epever 3210an charge controller and I am looking at solar panels on Santan's website...and getting slightly confused on voltages.

Which voltage rating should I be looking at to determine whether the charge controller can handle the input from the panels?

VOC (Voltage Open Circuit). This is the voltage that the panel produces when nothing is connected to it.

So I have a epever 3210an charge controller and I am looking at solar panels on Santan's website...and getting slightly confused on voltages.

The 3210 is rated at 100v max input , but 92v at normal temps (25C/77F). So the panel (or panels in series) Voc would need to stay safely below that. Might want to limit to 80v if you are going to be making power in crazy hot temps, like 100F or higher.

I am running 750w of the used Trina 250w nominal 20v (Vmp 30.3, in parallel at the moment) that are sold by Santan and made famous by Will Prowse. They run on an EpEver 5415AN, and also have run them on a 40A EpEver 4215N before I got the new controller. The 40A did get pinned to full output about 1x/week; didn't get above body temperature.

I figure 400-500w would run nicely on the 30A, due to their hardiness with overpaneling.

The 3210 is rated at 100v max input , but 92v at normal temps (25C/77F). So the panel (or panels in series) Voc would need to stay safely below that. Might want to limit to 80v if you are going to be making power in crazy hot temps, like 100F or higher.

I am running 750w of the used Trina 250w nominal 20v (Vmp 30.3, in parallel at the moment) that are sold by Santan and made famous by Will Prowse. They run on an EpEver 5415AN, and also have run them on a 40A EpEver 4215N before I got the new controller. The 40A did get pinned to full output about 1x/week; didn't get above body temperature.

I figure 400-500w would run nicely on the 30A, due to their hardiness with overpaneling.
Much as I would love to run over 400 watts of solar, I don't see how it would fit on my roof.

So I am looking at solar panels on Santan's website and I am seeing several that say "snail trail"...should this be a major concern or just something to be aware of?

Major issue for grid tied panels that need to be near perfect, minor issue for the usual dispersed camper with less exacting needs.

You can do a search on this forum on used grid panels and/or "snail trail" to see what the resident experts have posted in the past.