A little wind electric generation info

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motrukdriver

Reaction score
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-checks-out-the-windwalker-wind-generator

My plan is to add a couple of small 100 watt vertical axis wind turbines as solar support to aid in charging the batteries when it is cloudy and at night or divert the extra power when not needed to a 12 volt water heater.  Would need various points to mount the poles depending on how you park your rig and where the sun is.  Always want to put the turbines up on the north side of the panels to prevent shadows of course.

Old sites but here goes:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/installing-wind-generator/

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]roadtreking.com/experiment-portable-wind-turbine/[/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]https://www.greenbuildermedia.com/.../powering-your-rv-with-wind-why-you-should...[/font][/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][/font][/font][/font]

Saw the cheaprvliving one. I want to try the vertical axis instead of the horizontal axis mainly because vertical axis can handle disrupted wind a lot better. The other links are not working... umm, not clickable. Still struggling with the should I buy a hybrid controller that handles both wind and solar or should I buy 2 separate controllers. I'll eventually figure it out I suppose. Just in the planning stage at this point.

Motrukdriver said:
Saw the cheaprvliving one.  I want to try the vertical axis instead of the horizontal axis mainly because vertical axis can handle disrupted wind a lot better.  The other links are not working... umm, not clickable.  Still struggling with the should I buy a hybrid controller that handles both wind and solar or should I buy 2 separate controllers.  I'll eventually figure it out I suppose.  Just in the planning stage at this point.

Oh, can you right click on the link after highlighting it?  Then it will search. Otherwise just copy, paste into Google and search the link. They work that way.

You'll have to do some digging on the dual/hybrid controller, Amazon has several with reviews though none were really highly rated.

This world isn\ said:
Oh, can you right click on the link after highlighting it?  Then it will search. Otherwise just copy, paste into Google and search the link. They work that way.

You'll have to do some digging on the dual/hybrid controller, Amazon has several with reviews though none were really highly rated.

I was looking at some on the Missouri Wind and Solar site.  They have a few systems that would work.  The wind turbines I'm interested in have an option to buy a hybrid controller as well but I'm a little hesitant.  The ones they offer don't have the solar wattage I'm probably going to need.

Wind systems seem to be a big thing on live-aboard sailboats, but not on vans or RVs........

I presume the 70mph headwinds while driving probably complicate them a bit?

I don't think anybody was talking about having their wind generator deployed while driving. at least I hope not. highdesertranger

Just exercise your due diligence/caution when dealing with the MO outfit, there's some less than happy people on YouTube who have dealt with them/him.  
I don't have a dog in this hunt but sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire...

Some info from 2015 (dated) but still worth reading: 

https://www.greenbuildermedia.com/green-rv-living/powering-your-rv-with-wind-why-you-should-wait

[font=Oswald, sans-serif]RV Wind Power Challenges[/font]
[font=Arial,]Here are the three major obstacles to using wind power effectively for your RV.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial,]Performance: Turbine needs to start generating power at very low speeds. Why is low-speed operation important? Think about being parked in a Wal-mart parking lot on a hot afternoon with a very light breeze, and not even a trickle of power from your turbine. Wind speed is critical to turbine output. Power output is actually "cubed" as you double the speed of the wind. In other words, a turbine producing 5 watts of power at 2 mph winds will produce 15 watts of power with 4 mph winds, and so on.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial,]Size: RVs travel. So must the turbine. One of the issues with wind is the size of the turbine span. Even the smallest units have a "wingspan" in the 3 to 4 ft. range. and you probably don't want to strap them down on the RV roof so that means living with them en-route.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial,]Vibration: Most wind turbines create at least some vibration. Strap one to an aluminum-skinned RV with a light, welded frame and you could create the world's largest mouth harp. That's why I'm recommending a separate, standalone tower.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial,]End of quote[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial,]***************************[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial,]This article is dated 8/28/17: https://www.tripsavvy.com/rvers-go-green-with-wind-power-505147[/font][/SIZE]

[font=helvetica, arial,]Here's an excerpt: [/font]

"Air Breeze Wind Generators, both land and marine are rated at 160 watts at 29 mph, but with a lower starting speed of around 8 mph. The lower starting speed gives better performance averaged annually.

Air Breeze’s startup wind speed can be as low as 6 mph, comes in 12 volt and 24 volt models, and can produce 38kWh/month at 12 mph.

You will need wind speeds of 25 mph to give you the full wattage, which produces around 15 amps @ 12 volts.

The Air Breeze has only two moving parts and uses a brushless neodymium alternator. It is made of aircraft quality aluminum ally castings, and uses a microprocessor-based, smart regulator that tracks peak power.
[font=helvetica, arial,]Like the Air-X, the Air Breeze is around $700 for the land model and an additional $180 for the marine model."[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial,]End of excerpt quote, bolding is mine.  [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial,]25 mph is a fairly stiff wind...[/font]

Good post Moto, thanks.

Silly me would be thankful for multiple hours of 2-3 amps a day- something compact, cheap and simple. 

Some people (like me) are sensitive to the noise wind turbines produce.  So I would recommend you listen to one running, preferrably at different speeds, before you buy to determine if the noise bothers you.

As mentioned above, attaching one to your (metal) living space will amplify and propagate the noise.

Latest posts