a cooling solution

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

templedog

Reaction score
I've seen someone on the forum that said they use this Fridge Freezer.&nbsp;<div><a href="http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?..._id=1&amp;option=com_virtuemart&amp;Itemid=59" target="_blank">http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?..._id=1&amp;option=com_virtuemart&amp;Itemid=59</a></div><div><br></div><div>I know its spendy... but if you could make Ice with this fridge (jam 10 ice trays in that freezer) ... I am thinking, in a well insulated Van, I could make one of these... and constantly be feeding it Ice... &nbsp;<a href="" target="_blank"></a></div><div><br></div><div>So the end result for.. 670 bucks.. you get a Fridge and an Air Conditioner in one. Of course you need a solar panel. But these fridge/freezers are pretty low on watts... 3 max.. which is pretty damn good I think? ..&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>what do ya think&gt;?</div>

I think you will find that the ice takes longer to freeze than melt, and even if dedicated to making ice the freezer wouldn't make enough to cool you.<br>

Do any stores give you free ice? or do you have to buy it... I don't really know.&nbsp;

Never found or heard of any place that'll give you free ice. Water, maybe...<br>When I need ice, I look for one of those road side ice dispensers that'll give you 16 lbs for $1.50 bag or 20 lbs loose dispense into your cooler.<br>They're always sitting alone, on the side of the road, no big signs and with a tiny (usually dirt) parking space in front of it. Never saw one near, or at, any stores or gas stations.<br>Summer weekends and hunting season, you can usually find them by looking for a line of pick up trucks loaded with hunting gear or towing boats, lined up along the side of a road for no apparent reason.<br><br>

well, I seem to remember free ice when a buddy bought a case a beer once... LOOKS LIKE ILL BE DRINKING ALLL SUMMER! LOL