90 year old turns down cancer treatment, goes on road trip.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I applaud her decision.  She chose quality of life and a truly wonderful experience with her family over the pain and suffering of chemo and rad treatment, which at her age would be brutal.  I'm betting she will live longer too.  Bravo, Norma!

two thing here

1. as she and many here of any age have probably seen their fair share of cancer "treatment?" so good choice

2.90 year old with 67 year old husband,she's a go getter

Gary68 said:
two thing here

1. as she and many here of any age have probably seen their fair share of cancer "treatment?"  so good choice

2.90 year old with 67 year old husband,she's a go getter

Ummm, her husband isn't 67, they were married for 67 years when he died, 2 days before her cancer was diagnosed.

And I totally agree with her decision - even at my age I most likely wouldn't put myself through the horrors of serious cancer treatments!

My mother just turned eighty, and has signed a Living Will, stipulating NO "heroic action" be taken to keep her alive if her life is ending.  She has no wish to exist hooked to a machine.  My sister and I will follow her desires.  Mom's health is failing, so it is only a matter of time.  I am her primary care-giver at this time. She would never consent to chemo/radiation if she were diagnosed with cancer.  But it's severe COPD that is killing her now.  Too many decades spent smoking.  Same thing got Dad three years ago.
My best friend just lost his second wife, to cancer this time.  She had been in Stage Four for some years, so it was not a surprise.  It had gotten into her bones, causing great pain.  She endured years of chemo and radiation treatments.  We have seen what tat does to cancer victims.

What an awesome lady.  It's great that family is able to do that together.  I'm sure it will change them all for the better.

My late hubby fought stage 4 rectal cancer for 2 years, going through complete hell. I wish we had done something like this instead of having him go through what he did. Even though I'm younger, I may do as Norma did. I've seen the ravages of cancer treatment. No thanks. Kudos to her!! :)