7.3 Power stroke, won't start P0475 code

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaTaLa said:
My dipstick read 1 & 1/2 quarts low, well within operating capacity but apparently it was low enough to trigger the sensor and shut injectors off. Added about a quart of oil and it fired right up.

What does that big dog hold, like 7 quarts or so?

dang one of my batteries shorted on my 01 F-250 7.3 two days ago. I had to jump it multiple times yesterday so today I drove to Kingman, Arizona when I got there the shorted battery was smoking, she was ready to blow you could hear it. had to buy 2 new batteries, damn that's 6 batteries I have bought in the last month. highdesertranger

What is the cause? Are you vibrating them to death? I have had really good service out of the old Optima gel cells, the one in my J10 jeep is over 7 years old. The new ones are made in Mexico and not reviewed as well so I'm probably going to go with something made in the USA. What did you buy?

could be vibration, I do a lot of off roading. I didn't get anything fancy just Walmart's. highdesertranger

MaTaLa said:
Biggest clue I had was oil pressure gauge having trouble reaching decent pressure when cranking
 Glad you figured it out.  I had a low oil fuel issue in the past when my oil filter wasn't tightened enough and was slowly leaking.  It's not intuitive, but the HPOP (high pressure oil pump) drives fuel to the injectors, so low oil can result in fuel starvation.  A couple mechanics could not figure out my truck's issue, and it wasn't till I changed the oil that she ran normally again.  I had been doing a lot of general reading on the 7.3 forums, and remembered something about HPOP and injectors - so my brain finally connected the two.  But I still forgot in your case.  Thank you for the reminder!

this brings up an interesting point, besides Zork has anybody else had the oil filter come loose on a 7.3. mine has done it about 5 times, I check it periodically now and every so often it's loose. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
dang one of my batteries shorted on my 01 F-250 7.3 two days ago.  I had to jump it multiple times yesterday so today I drove to Kingman, Arizona when I got there the shorted battery was smoking,  she was ready to blow you could hear it.  had to buy 2 new batteries,  damn that's 6 batteries I have bought in the last month.  highdesertranger
I ran into the best repair facility in Kingman. Two old guys, really fair and knowledgable. Completely rebuilt the suspension on my Fifth Wheel but they work on everything. They are small, right on Route 66 but I forgot the name. They have a pretty prominent sign advertising car, truck and RV repair.

highdesertranger said:
this brings up an interesting point,  besides Zork has anybody else had the oil filter come loose on a 7.3.  mine has done it about 5 times,  I check it periodically now and every so often it's loose.  highdesertranger
No you are not tightening it enough. You must use the filter wrench and make it snug but not butt tight.

I have never heard of such a thing I was always taught never to use a wrench to tighten an oil filter. highdesertranger

Most filters say to tighten them till the gasket contacts the surface of the housing then tighten them a quarter to half turn more. This can usually be done by hand. Most times the problem is over tightening which strips the soft threads of the filter and oil pressure in the worst case blows it off or vibration causes to loosen and leak. One reason the canister style with a bolt and copper seal was used on Mercedes diesels was so a torque wrench could be used to insure proper tightening. Maybe Ford should consider using the old canister style filter.

In my case the FL-1995 oil filter gasket had cracked. I had purchased 8 filters on sale, and noticed a couple of them also had cracked gaskets even though I had not used them. So, now I carefully oil and check the gaskets for cracks when changing the filters.

highdesertranger said:
I have never heard of such a thing I was always taught never to use a wrench to tighten an oil filter.  highdesertranger

Haven't had any come loose on the 7.3l in my truck.  I hand tighten as much as I can then about 1/8-1/4 more with the wrench.  On the race trucks we rig a safety wire to the filter shell using a worm clamp on the filter and tie it to a nearby bolt in the direction that tightens.  Leave a little slack in the wire as a telltale if the filter moves.  Never had one go loose, and if it did it would get caught well before it backed off.  I have had manual trans oil fill plug come out during a race from thermal expansion and vibration so we safety wire those, also the oil pan drain and rear end plugs using a hairpin clips on a lanyard.

This actually turned out to be 3 yr batteries that were 4 yrs old and, I guess, just weren't spinning quite fast enough. I did replace the ICP sensor (Injection Control Pressure) as it was leaking just a bit of oil through to the connectors. Truck is smoother from start but haven't noticed anything else related to ICP.

Was in a bit of inconvenience and had to get 2 Wal-Mart 3yr 750 ca when 850 is called for. So anything I get over 18 months I will be happy with.

I had a very helpful and kind friend that helped me immensely going back and forth to parts stores. Without this person that scenario would have taken a LOT more energy.