62 with wunderlust

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathryn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been following alot of different sites about traveling (Rving and Tiny Little Houses). This is the first place that talks about Vans and Autos. This is more in my price range. I a 62 y/o disabled widow who wants to travel before I can't. Every time I say something about traveling my sister says I'm talking crazy. After seeing some of the posts on here I think it's doable. I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country mini van and am hoping to get some ideas to convert it to a vandwelling. I don't have alot of money and would only be living off of my SS check. Are there other people out there in the same situation ? I would love to here some ideas about how to start my new life.

Hi and welcome from Ohio. Your plans are absolutely doable and this is the right place to be! Folks here are friendly, supportive, and knowledgeable on so many topics. I learn something new everyday here.

Welcome! Having the vehicle of choice already at your disposal is a great starting point!I'd say first thing, get the middle and third row seats taken out. They should come out relatively easily and that will give you much more room to work with and give you a better idea of what all you can fit into your van. Are you planning on being far away from home traveling or within the state, etc? Cheers!

Kathryn,
It should be very doable for you, but you are wise to write out a plan of how much you will be able to spend on what. I am turning 62 in the fall and will be getting SS then, too. Mine would be enough for me to live on comfortably based on my experience from last year, but I also have income from my novels on Amazon. So, a lot depends on how much you have, but I can give you an example of expenses.

I lived a simple life on the road in my extended cargo van from April of last year to November. I paid about $50 a month for cell phone, another $50 for RV insurance (in SD, the insurer covered me as an RV so my contents would be insured as well), another $30 for my mailing service and a monthly fee to keep my old, old company email address intact. Other than that, My other predictable monthly expenses were for food and laundry. When I did not move locations fast enough to avoid a few very cold nights, I ran a propane heater so I had some expenses for the 1 pound canisters (also used for cooking some).

The big expense for any vandweller who TRAVELS is the gas. But even that is controllable by planning how far you can travel in a given month based on what you have available to spend on gas.

I think I paid for only 3 nights in an RV camp during more than 6 months.. and that was at tent site prices since I have no way to use shore power. (I needed to be close in ABQ for a few days, and the nicer showers were handy during that time, too.)

My cell phone allowed me to access Internet basics on the road as well as use it as a phone (I use StraightTalk and they have Verizon coverage plus other towers, too) Now I have become a bit spoiled with a mobile hotspot for Internet usage on my computer when I am not near a public (free) wifi spot. I normally came into a "town" every 4 or 5 days to get water and groceries and have real meals (I'm not much of a cook), so public wifi at a McDs or the library or a Super 8 sort of place was fairly easy to find.

Here is an important thing.. and Bob Wells stresses this a lot for all those hitting the road: have some emergency money put aside for repairs and such. During my 6 months, I had to replace two tires (they were not in the best of shape when I started out) and two batteries (again, I started knowing they were pretty old).

For conversion ideas, you may already have seen the "Van Conversions" link up in the header of this forum -- those are from Bob's blog posts and have pics. And you'll see the forum itself has a whole section on van modifications. And if you like to browse a LOT of pics, just go to Pinterest and search for van living or similar -- you will get tons.

So, plug in your own month to month hard costs, consider how much you can budget for gas each month and see if you can quickly build an emergency fund. Maybe see many of us at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in January in Quartzite!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Kathryn! Excellent Advice from MsWriter! You are fortunate to have a good vehicle as your base. Remove the seats like RollinWOT advises then lay down some sort of pad for your bed, get a cooler, a camp stove and some plastic crates for storage. You might be able to find some of the items on Craigslist or at thrift stores. This will give you an inexpensive, very basic setup. Take a short trip. Try camping in a campground, boondock on public land, sleep on the street or in a parking lot. See how you like it. If it all goes well and you decide that it's a good fit for you then you can get more elaborate and build a cozy little home. Good luck - let us know how it goes!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi and Welcome!!

Does your van have the stow and go option? You'd already be halfway there if they did! :) And don't listen to those who call your idea 'crazy'. Most of the time, people project their own fears on others. There are a lot of people out there doing this and having the time of their lives!! Read up here, there is tons of info. Good luck!!

Through this website I've met literally hundred of women in your exact situation (62 or over and on SS or disability) and they took the plunge and found it to be the very best thing they ever did!

100% of them had family and friends tell them they were crazy and now they are all so glad they didn't listen to them.

I don't really know you, but it's a safe guess you spent your life taking care of others--now its time for you to take care of you. It's time for you to be happy and at peace!!

I'm sure your friends are good people, but deep down they want you to stay for themselves, not because of what's best for you.

Maybe for the first time, DO WHATS BEST FOR YOU!
Bob

I agree with Bob. Do what is best for you. Other people can't live our lives for us.

akrvbob said:
Through this website I've met literally hundred of women in your exact situation (62 or over and on SS or disability) and they took the plunge and found it to be the very best thing they ever did!

100% of them had family and friends tell them they were crazy and now they are all so glad they didn't listen to them.

I don't really know you, but it's a safe guess you spent your life taking care of others--now its time for you to take care of you. It's time for you to be happy and at peace!!

I'm sure your friends are good people, but deep down they want you to stay for themselves, not because of what's best for you.

Maybe for the first time, DO WHATS BEST FOR YOU!
Bob

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. You describe me down to a tee.

WriterMs said:
Kathryn,
It should be very doable for you, but you are wise to write out a plan of how much you will be able to spend on what. I am turning 62 in the fall and will be getting SS then, too. Mine would be enough for me to live on comfortably based on my experience from last year, but I also have income from my novels on Amazon. So, a lot depends on how much you have, but I can give you an example of expenses.

I lived a simple life on the road in my extended cargo van from April of last year to November. I paid about $50 a month for cell phone, another $50 for RV insurance (in SD, the insurer covered me as an RV so my contents would be insured as well), another $30 for my mailing service and a monthly fee to keep my old, old company email address intact. Other than that, My other predictable monthly expenses were for food and laundry. When I did not move locations fast enough to avoid a few very cold nights, I ran a propane heater so I had some expenses for the 1 pound canisters (also used for cooking some).

The big expense for any vandweller who TRAVELS is the gas. But even that is controllable by planning how far you can travel in a given month based on what you have available to spend on gas.

I think I paid for only 3 nights in an RV camp during more than 6 months.. and that was at tent site prices since I have no way to use shore power. (I needed to be close in ABQ for a few days, and the nicer showers were handy during that time, too.)

My cell phone allowed me to access Internet basics on the road as well as use it as a phone (I use StraightTalk and they have Verizon coverage plus other towers, too) Now I have become a bit spoiled with a mobile hotspot for Internet usage on my computer when I am not near a public (free) wifi spot. I normally came into a "town" every 4 or 5 days to get water and groceries and have real meals (I'm not much of a cook), so public wifi at a McDs or the library or a Super 8 sort of place was fairly easy to find.

Here is an important thing.. and Bob Wells stresses this a lot for all those hitting the road:  have some emergency money put aside for repairs and such. During my 6 months, I had to replace two tires (they were not in the best of shape when I started out) and two batteries (again, I started knowing they were pretty old).

For conversion ideas, you may already have seen the "Van Conversions" link up in the header of this forum -- those are from Bob's blog posts and have pics.  And you'll see the forum itself has a whole section on van modifications. And if you like to browse a LOT of pics, just go to Pinterest and search for van living or similar -- you will get tons.

So, plug in your own month to month hard costs, consider how much you can budget for gas each month and see if you can quickly build an emergency fund. Maybe see many of us at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in January in Quartzite!
Thanks so much for all the good advice. I use StraightTalk as my cell phone provider already but I will have to get a hot spot. As of right now I have emergency money set a side. This is one reason I want to do this while I can. My van has new tires and battery so I should be ok for a while. It is also a stow and go so I should not have to take the seats out unless I do so for weight. I would like to try doing vandwelling in this van first and if it is a good fit for me I might look into a cargo van.

Hello Kathryn, and Welcome to the asylum!

We have a great crew on board here, and you should have no problem finding help with this new phase in your life.

what part of the country are you in, and what kinda traveling do you plan on doing?? Will you be moving around a lot, or sticking to one basic area??
Do you have and hobbies or critters??

Greetings from the Oregon Coast!! :D

Welcome to the forums.
I'm 62 also and have been living on wheels for over 30 years.
It's very doable and you should have no problem doing it too.
The SS checks will help a lot , for me they will mean not having to find other income workamping or whatever else would pop up. I'm still going to and love to workamp from time to time but won't HAVE too.

Ask anything you want here and there will be plenty of helpful info posted in response.

Enjoy your new life. It's gonna be fun.
Maybe your friends are the ones that are crazy ???????? Living in the same place doing the same things and seeing the same people every day, mowing the lawn ,etc etc etc

Patrick46 said:
Hello Kathryn, and Welcome to the asylum!

We have a great crew on board here, and you should have no problem finding help with this new phase in your life.

what part of the country are you in, and what kinda traveling do you plan on doing?? Will you be moving around a lot, or sticking to one basic area??
Do you have and hobbies or critters??

Greetings from the Oregon Coast!! :D

Hi Patrick46, I live in Bedford,VA. I plan on trying it out close to home first to see how it goes but I really want to travel to all the lower 48 states. I have a 13 yr.old dog whom I love dearly. I'm hoping he will be able to travel with me. I love most animals and belong to a couple of rescues here in VA. I don't really have any hobbies right now. I'm hoping this new life will kick start some new interests.

Since you have a Stow and Go you could fold the seats down and give it a try. If it works out, you could pull the seats and gain a lot of extra storage, less weight and a bit more head room.

Hi Kathryn :) I have a Dodge Caravan with stow and go and had a friend take the seats out for me.  You should be able to travel comfortably, have good stealth, and get pretty good mpg. Hopefully your back windows are tinted- if not I would recommend it.

I live on a very tight budget but manage to get by.  I spend 70 a month on my phone, which has unlimited data and that is also something I highly recommend.  I pay 90 for insurance with roadside assistance- I know that's high and I have a spotless driving record too- but my credit score is no good so that's the cheapest I can find.  I have a 20 a month gym membership, a 10 a month Netflix account, and a 10 a month Kindle Unlimited subscription.  Those are my only bills.

The rest goes to gas and food.  I find I am even able to save a couple hundred each month for emergencies, although I already have an emergency fund that I try never to go into.  It's enough to replace my vehicle, and that is probably the minimum amount you should set aside.

Unlike many on here my van has really not been converted to live in.  I keep my camping equipment in stackable tubs I bought from Lowes, and those fit on one side and I sleep on the other.  

When I boondock at parking lots I put up my sunshade in the window and have a small tarp I shove into the back window.  It is obvious I am sleeping there, with the sunshade and all, but I actually prefer that.  I feel someone is less likely to mess with a vehicle that looks occupied than one that is empty.  I could be wrong- but that's my theory.  And I only park where I am allowed.  Walmarts, truck stops, typically where others are resting as well.

I don't have refrigeration... And I usually just eat what I need to not be malnourished.  Breakfast is a slim fast and a banana.  Lunch is a high calorie meal replacement protein bar (MetX I believe they're called).  Dinner might be something I buy out, but often times it's crackers and peanut butter with a fruit cup.  And an Ensure shake each night.  None of that needs refrigeration, and if you have any weight to lose you'll do it on that ;)

I have a portable power bank that I got off Amazon that has about 20,000 mah.  It recharges my phone a few times on a full battery.  I charge it, and my phone, at various places- usually a public library or a Mc Donald's that has outlets available.

So far this set up has worked for me with one exception... I do wish I had solar panels for a fan.  I have a battery operated one but buying 8 d cell batteries once a week is a hit on the budget.  It'd also be nice to power my phone without needing public power.  It's on my to do list, but having no idea what I need or how to install it is an issue.  I'm not near as handy as some on here.

I do spend time at campsites and for now I am questioning if it is worth it.  So much of what I carry is for camping, and it is an expense I wonder if I shouldn't cut out.  It is rare to find a campsite where I have signal, and I miss my daily trips to the gym.  Still, I haven't ruled it out.  It can be relaxing to stay put and know where I am parking every night for a short while.

I hope you are able to enjoy traveling.  There are many apps for your phone that are handy- All Stays has free ones that show you where every major truck stop is, every rest area, even every Walmart.  If you have any questions just ask on here- this site is great- or pm me and I will send you my number.  Good luck!

If you listen to friends and family and take their advice, you will do no more than sit in front of your tv. People that don't think like you, with adventure in their hearts will never understand. Just smile, say thanks for caring and do what you need to do.

I'm 61, started out in Feb this year and met up with strangers from this site at the gathering in Florida. I'm stronger than I have ever been in my life and still enjoying my life.

Just go for it. Learn along the way. Make sure you get a good nights sleep, and eat properly. You will do fine. better than sitting at a relatives house, and feeling like a burden.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have tried to respond to a message to Guy about 5 or 6 times and have failed miserably each time.  I need to figure out how to reply in messages somehow.

I do have a 3 port USB adapter that plugs into my cigarette lighter in the front, and charge my phone, power bank, and e-cig with it.  Then I have a charger in the back cigarette lighter for my laptop.  When I drive a few hours I am set.  The problem is when I stay in the same city for awhile.  I don't drive enough then to charge everything up.

The van only charges when the keys are turned on in the ignition.  Otherwise there is no power to the cigarette lighters.  I don't mind that really, as I don't want to take a chance of draining my starter battery and getting stranded.

I wish I had an auxiliary battery and when I get to Houston this fall I plan to see how much a conversion company would charge me to install one.  And hopefully add some solar panels to charge it up with.  I'm afraid it will be a lot of money, but I am not technical-minded and if I tried to rig something up I'm certain I would blow myself up ;)

Sorry for the hijack!  I will try to learn how messages work after this!!

You can get a portable solar panel, that charges a portable battery pack. Then use the battery to charge your phone or your laptop.