6 in. clearance and Roads in these places

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering why a company would design it that way if it was so dangerous. Maybe Pam can see if there were recalls for it.

A heat shield really doesn't need to be that large. Somebody had some material and didn't want to have to cut it to size.

Just a comment on taller tires on vans...

Depending on the van and mine is susceptible to it as well, when you make changes that your van isn't engineered for it is possible for issues to appear and I'm particularly bringing this up in regard to the "death wobble". Look that one up on youtube.

Anyway, mine ended up being a worn drag link. The previous owner had swapped out the 15" wheels for 17" BUT he chose a tires size that kept things at the same factory height of 29". This is important for 2 reasons:

1) It kept everything at the same height which meant that everything worked as it was designed.
2) The speedometer and odometer still worked accurately.

Sometimes people don't realize that changes to tire height will change the odometer and speedometer readings. The ECM doesn't adjust for this automatically; either you have to have it reprogrammed or you use a GPS program and pay for the data usage. It may not make a significant difference however, if you added new tires you could easily push yourself into traveling 5 miles faster than you think and if you are like me and fudge a few miles an hour just because you could be the next guest contributor to a very revenue hungry little town.

Just a heads up.