34 RV Fire Facts That Can Save Your Life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also bought a military style wool blanket. The emergency fire blankets you see with the little pull string are expensive, but i found out the best ones are just made of 80-90% wool(welders blankets too) so i bought just the blanket for like 20 bucks. This might smother a fire long enough to escape or grab my extinguisher. Unfortunately i only have a front exit from inside so i had to figure a way to get to it.

Someone has told me that propane tanks will commonly leak when they become hot... due to loosening of valves or hoses. Thus, a storage box to protect the tanks from the sun outside of the camper would be the safest storage option, I'd guess.

Starlight, I think that is very unlikely! There are probably millions of travel trailers with propane tanks on their tongues and if they leaked every time the sun shined on them they would be blowing up everywhere everyday. I think someone was pulling your leg or talking about some extreme circumstances.
Bob

not to mention the storage box would have to be vented to allow leaking propane to escape or it would create a bomb

Sometimes people need reminding. I've been around vehicles of all sorts throughout my life and as a diesel/auto tech, I have seen and heard some nasty things happening with vehicles. That's usually enough of a reminder for me.

I have been around firearms for 10+ years, and I have seen firsthand the results of getting lax as well as being downright careless around firearms. I have seen gunshots in legs and other limbs. Thank God that I have never personally seen anyone killed by carelessness around firearms. It needs to be taken seriously, as does anything that can can have a result in death.

I have had an unintentional discharge, it was my own stupidity, but because I was following every other rule of firearm safety, no person was injured, just my end table was damaged.

Always teach yourself and keep vigilant on safety and maintenance, it could just be that you are saving yourself money and time or you could be saving a life, rv, car or otherwise.

I have family and friends that has seen fires that have killed people or left in so many ways of disfigured and with disabilities of some sort.