1993 Ford Ambulance Fun-ness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coultergeist

Reaction score
I've been looking for a good vehicle to double as a work vehicle / camping vehicle for a long time.  I've built out several vans before, but only as camping configurations.  I need to be carry a lot of tools and such.  I recently found a retired ambulance that was being used by a county road works department that I think will work out the way I want it too. Should be a fun, but challenging build.  roadwork van pic.jpeg

Attachments

• roadwork van pic.jpeg
    roadwork van pic.jpeg
    80.1 KB
First order of business was to get rid of the road department orange paint.  I decided to forego stealth and go with a color scheme that is near and dear to my heart - Chocolate Chip Desert Camouflage.  Not exactly subtle, but it is definitely unique and easy to fix.

camo van 1.jpeg
camo van 2.jpeg
camo van 3.jpeg
camo van 4.jpeg

Attachments

• camo van 1.jpeg
    camo van 1.jpeg
    114 KB
  • camo van 2.jpeg
    camo van 2.jpeg
    149.9 KB
  • camo van 3.jpeg
    camo van 3.jpeg
    132.6 KB
  • camo van 4.jpeg
    camo van 4.jpeg
    97.9 KB
Thanks.  I've had it for a few months now, but haven't been able to drive it until a few days ago.  It was owned by a nearby county, where they were using it for road maintenance.  It has been parked for the last several years.  I bought it through an auction.  I didn't realize it was an ambulance when I bought it.  On the auction site, it just looked like a different sort of road vehicle.  I got there and realized what it was as soon as I opened the side door.  That's when the fun began.

I've heard horror stories over the years about getting an ambulance insured and titled properly.  I'd love to say that the problems were overrated, but in my case they were spot on.  The ambulance was donated to the county that I bought it from.  They registered it through the state as an RV so they could put a tag on it, but never bothered to do the title.  I got a bill of sale from the county and assumed that would be sufficient to get it titled in my name...….nope.  My tag office didn't want to touch it without a title.  I went round and round with the county.  The lady was nice and trying to be helpful, but they just couldn't make it happen.  In the meantime, my insurance company dropped it because it was an emergency service vehicle by manufacturer.  

I did some research and found that a title bond was the only way I would get anything done.  Two hours and $110 later got me the title bond information filled out by my new insurance person at State Farm.  I also had to have the local police department come out and look at the vehicle and fill out a form verifying that the VIN was correct and that the vehicle was actually in my possession.  Also had to get a VIN background report to ensure there were no outstanding liens or issues with the vehicle.  Armed with all of those things, I went back to the tag office.  The lady there was very helpful.  After an hour of typing and questions with her supervisor, she got it done and I left with a tag.  It will take several months, apparently, for the paperwork to complete and get the actual title in the mail.  

As if all of that wasn't fun enough, State Farm took forever approving my policy.  I had a rider for two months while they were deciding if they would insure it or not.  I had to sign several documents stating it would not be used as an ambulance.  Emergency lights will have to be converted to amber to be legal, etc, etc.  I got the final approval yesterday.  It took forever, but I can legally driver her now.  I have no idea what the title will come back with for type of vehicle.  Will fight that battle when I get it.  

I will be working on oil change, glow plugs and lights this week.  Pretty simple stuff, just will take a bit of time.

Tme, patience and a few dollars and your there. Great platform to start with and IMO well worth the time.
There are a couple threads here that are Ambo builds for reference.
Keep us posted on your progress and you know, we like photo's.