1992 Dodge B350 Extended Hightop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffhead

Reaction score
A little about the van...

Owned for 24 years by the VA. She has 60,250 miles. 

5.9L 360, one ton chassis, AC, upgraded 120AMP alternator and larger 35gal fuel tank. 8500lb max registered weight.

Viking hightop and side door mounted Braun wheelchair lift. Here's a few pics from when I bought her...
016c.jpg
021c.jpg
031x.jpg
039x.jpg

Attachments

• 016c.jpg
    016c.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 021c.jpg
    021c.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 031x.jpg
    031x.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 039x.jpg
    039x.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 20
So far I have removed the wheelchair lift which was only 6 bolts and 2 wires, replaced the radiator which was leaking at a seam, gutted the interior, and pulled out the hightop windows and resealed them with windshield urethane. 
IMG_4717c.jpg
IMG_4720c.jpg
IMG_4722c.jpg
IMG_4723c.jpg

Also, last weekend I resealed the gap between the hightop and metal van body with sikaflex the entire way around the van and I cut all studs and other crap off the floor. This beast should keep me busy all winter long...

Attachments

• IMG_4717c.jpg
    IMG_4717c.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4720c.jpg
    IMG_4720c.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4722c.jpg
    IMG_4722c.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4723c.jpg
    IMG_4723c.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 27
double thumbs up because you included pics. nice, keep them coming. highdesertranger

That looks like a good one to build out. Will be watching the progress.

The build was as much fun as the road.  

Nice platform.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've got big plans for her.

FluffHead:

Any updates on your van? I just put a deposit on a Ford Extended high top with a wheelchair lift, so I'm really interested in your thoughts and plans.

TooManyDogs said:
FluffHead:

Any updates on your van? I just put a deposit on a Ford Extended high top with a wheelchair lift, so I'm really interested in your thoughts and plans.

I pulled the transmission out Friday before last to reseal her. I had a late 2-3 shift due to worn seals on the high side clutch. I replaced all seals/gaskets over the past week and reinstalled the transmission this past Friday. She now shifts smoothly at the proper rpm/speed. I drove her to Philly Saturday night for a Temple of the Dog concert and was pleasantly surprised to find that the gas mileage had increased a few mpg. 

If I can find the time, I intend to tint windows and start on the floor next weekend. We'll see. I raise a 16yo by myself and work 50+ hours a week (for now!).

I too am looking forward to your build. You have a great platform to work with.
Awesome job on the Tranny repair!

I've never seen a hightop with a full height side door, of course I'm new at this, best of luck. I'll be adding this thread to my saved for offline collection.

That is a high-top to start a build with, and relatively low miles as well. BTW How was the concert?

nicoloyd said:
 BTW  How was the concert?

Incredible! Bucket list stuff. That album was very special to me in my youth. I feel very lucky to have seen that band in an intimate setting (Tower Theater). They are at Madison Square Garden tonight.

MythGyver said:
I've never seen a hightop with a full height side door, of course I'm new at this, best of luck. I'll be adding this thread to my saved for offline collection.

The high top vans that were converted for handicap use had the additional height doors cut in to the high top for head clearance when using the wheelchair lift.

Any time you see one with the doors like that you can be certain that at one time it was used either privately or by an organization for wheelchair transport.

I'm going to post my costs of this conversion both for myself and for those who are curious about what kind of $$$ they should plan on spending if following a path similar to mine. Keep in mind that I get all my parts at a discount through my employment and I do all the work myself.

Van $2500
Tax, tag, title $212

Radiator, upper and lower hoses, thermostat, gasket, coolant, cap $255
Windshield washer pump $38
Headlight x2 $33
Windshield urethane x2, silicone x2, sikaflex x5 $46
Firestone Transforce A/T tire x2 $326
Transmission seal kit, filter, trans fluid $171
Misc (cutting wheels, sand paper, etc) $50

Total as of today...$3631

I've already purchased many of the interior supplies/items. I'll add their cost as I install them.

Fluffhead said:
I'm going to post my costs of this conversion both for myself and for those who are curious about what kind of $$$ they should plan on spending if following a path similar to mine. Keep in mind that I get all my parts at a discount through my employment and I do all the work myself.

Van $2500
Tax, tag, title $212

Radiator, upper and lower hoses, thermostat, gasket, coolant, cap $255
Windshield washer pump $38
Headlight x2 $33
Windshield urethane x2, silicone x2, sikaflex x5 $46
Firestone Transforce A/T tire x2 $326
Transmission seal kit, filter, trans fluid $171
Misc (cutting wheels, sand paper, etc) $50

Total as of today...$3631

I've already purchased many of the interior supplies/items. I'll add their cost as I install them.

Just saying.  You need to check out this site before buying parts.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/

he building was as much fun as the dwelling.

I've got to admit that I've been slacking these past couple months concerning my van conversion. I've driven her a few thousand miles and replaced the rear brake cylinders as well as the oil pressure switch. Mechanically, she's just about perfect at the moment for a 25 year old van with 64k original miles.

I did tint all the rear windows. Even the ones which I am eventually going to permanently cover. My interior plans are finalized in my head. I think I'll start the floor this weekend. More pics to follow...
XXX.jpg

Attachments

• XXX.jpg
    XXX.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 22
$3800 now invested with the addition of rear wheel cylinders, oil pressure switch, and window tint.