1970's tradesman possibility

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look cool, but perhaps you aught to wait just a bit for the fall when prices to go down for anything that has to do with recreation.

I dig that Ford.. :-D

update on the search looking for some quick opinions if i could lol the 1971 I posted said he would take 4k for it. interior is original but had a new 350 engine with under 30k a new rear end from a 3/4 ton 1991 chevy van, so it will go above 50mph(all done by them but they have receipts for the engine and rear end purchase) transmission was fully rebuilt professionally. I'm just worried about the work not being done at a shop.

I know I can buy a newer van with higher mileage and wind up with just as many problems as buying an older van with lower mileage but the older ones are a lot easier to work on.

That Chevy is a very simple machine. You can basically rebuild that van using only hand tools and some grease rags. There is no computer to blink out, and no sensors to foul up. The most advanced piece of electronics in that van is likely the stereo.

If you insist on fuel injection, you can convert it over to 1980's Chevy TBI. It's a bolt in affair with some custom wiring.

IMHO, simplicity and ease of repair are essential factors in van dwelling/boondocking. One of my biggest fears is being 20 miles into BLM land with little water, no cell signal and getting into a engine no start situation. I'd rather own a van where all I need is a test light, some spare parts and a screw driver to get the van started to get to the nearest town to properly repair it then being stuck there because you don't own the complicated computer diagnostics tools to identify which sensor, computer, or whatever is causing the no start.

The flip-side of that is your going to be doing a fair amount of fixing it forward where your regularly replacing parts before they fail to assure reliability.

That Ford and Chevy are pretty much the same. Both are carbureted, 3 speed auto, small block engine. The only real difference is the Ford has a full frame. The Chevy is a uni chassis. The Ford will feel alot heavier on the road, and the Chevy will feel lighter. The Ford is prime for a 4x4 conversion, while the Chevy not so much... The front suspension on the Ford (TTB) is alot stronger then the A-arm Chevy, and can take a real beating while off road. Any NAPA auto parts store in any town in any state will have parts for either in stock. The Ford C6 is abit clunkier then the GM T350/400. The ford is nearly certainly a 2v carb, and chevy most likely a 4V.

The Chevy will have virtually zero emissions equipment. The '82 Ford will have a smog pump, EGR, Catalyst, etc etc etc...

Both vans can be easily repaired with only hand tools.

thank you all for the advice! I went with the 1971 chevy g20! probably going to redo all the interior walls and floors but keep the original cabinetry and just clean them up.
body of the van has 88k. his father lived in it for 10years! and together in the last 2 years put a brand new small block 350 crate motor, edelbrock carb, new radiator, rear end from a 3/4th ton gmc van, new tires, fully rebuilt transmission, new electric fuel pump, new starter. his father past away and he was happy to see it go to someone who will be following the legacy of it being lived in full time.

the interior is pretty much all original from 1971 and it al still works! ill post photos once I start cleaning it up

Latest posts