1970's tradesman possibility

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks cool, but I'm biased. Got a great topper on that, but I fear that front window will be leaky, as they always are in the front of a topper.

Hey, it would be easy to work on and parts will be cheap is heck.

A few things I noticed; 1) It has Colorado plates but being sold in New Mexico. Not really any issue, but worth making sure the paper trail is intact and correct. And 2) all that varnished wood inside is going to weight a TON (literally) and may exceed the van's GVW.

I'd offer his closer to the $2500 range, but that could be a cool van once fixed up.

yea i was worried about the weight, i can always redo it but i was unsure about going with something carbureted and that old making trips across the country

1978 was a transition year for the good 'ol Dodge B van... There are some parts that are unique to only that year van.. Such as the front markers, grill, heater control resister, and some little odds and ends.

Its essentially a 1971-1977 body with side doors moved forward, '79-up tail lights, lower belt line doors with windows, and '79-81 dashboard.

Mechanically they are super easy to work on and get parts for (Cept the one year only stuff) If that is a 5.9L then chances are its got the terrible Thermo-quad carb that will *piss you off* If its a 5.2L it'll have the 2V Carter BBD that will *piss you off* Luckily there are upgrades. 1985-'87 Dodge van Quadra-jet carb, and for the BBD, the Motorcraft 2150 conversion.

Otherwise that is a solid van. Crawl underneath to look for rust damage to the frame horns, and look for rust on the windshield pillar, passenger side bulkhead at the firewall, and the drip rails.

how are these things going up mountain passes and cruising at say 70 on highways?

They drive fine, but are loud. You'll probably have a 3 speed transmission without overdrive so you'll be running pretty high RPMs at 70mph but I've done so for thousands of miles without problem.

Those are good vans, I really liked the ones I had. They're pretty easy to work on.

I assume I'm looking at about 14mpg? Give or take any thoughts on the ambulance?

Van-Tramp said:
It looks cool, but I'm biased. Got a great topper on that, but I fear that front window will be leaky, as they always are in the front of a topper.

Hey, it would be easy to work on and parts will be cheap is heck.

A few things I noticed; 1) It has Colorado plates but being sold in New Mexico. Not really any issue, but worth making sure the paper trail is intact and correct. And 2) all that varnished wood inside is going to weight a TON (literally) and may exceed the van's GVW.

I'd offer his closer to the $2500 range, but that could be a cool van once fixed up.
most of the wood and that seating area id probably redo with something lighter. im more worried about the bones of the van ive never driven or worked on anything older then early 90's suspension stuff i can do all my self minus maybe wheel bearings, but it looks like it is a very good starting point, he mentioned he would deliver it for me with a fee but 3500 seems high for the age even with the work done to it, but there is also the exact same van in denver for 5k with a brand new 350 and brans new transmission so im not sure (thats a little over my budget right now)

Well, I can;t help you there since I do not have eyes on the van. But, I would suggest to assume that you will need a front end rebuild, unless he has done on in recent years. A 1978 suspension isnt all that different from a 1990's.

MPG will be mostly dependent on the size of the motor. I assume the van is either a 1/4 or 1/2 ton (I see 5 lugs on the wheel) so you may have one of the smaller motors (318 maybe?) in there, which *might* get you in the low teens on MPG.

For that price, and a little shopping around, you can find a more modern van with EFI. I got mine in 2010 for $3400.

thats what im debating i think im more in love with the nostalgia of having the older van but

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that this one is way overpriced. I've purchased a '73 B200 for $290, a '73 B300 with high top for $300, and paid $450 for a '73 Class C on the same chassis. I got good deals to be sure, but I'd be hard pressed to justify spending more than $1500 on one in great condition.

And I'd be surprised if you got teens for MPG. Maybe eleven or twelve, but I doubt you'd even see thirteen.

12 down hill with the wind at your back, maybe. might have to put it in neutral and shut the engine off. highdesertranger

joeyib said:
well looks like im gonna go newer lol

Buying an older Dodge van can be an adventure. You had better be atleast a decent mechanic to do the upkeep that they require. They can be finicky.... As for gas mileage a slant-6 4sp Dodge will get 18-19mpg. A 5.2L 2V equipped one will get 13-16mpg. A 5.9L 4V equipped van will get mo more then 13. A 440 powered (Yep. 1977 and 1978 B200's were offered with 440-ci engines that get 8mpg.

Dodge vans never really changed much from 1971 all the way through the end of production in 2003. The doors, engine, transmission, driveline, brakes, and suspension are directly interchangeable between 1971 and 2003. (Some parts need to be slightly modded)

That has advantages when your out traveling and need replacement parts. Any wrecking yard in any city will have a dozen Dodge vans to take parts off and 90% of the time, no matter what year your Dodge is and no matter what year the junk dodge is.. The part will fit.

Bud Smiley said:
They drive fine, but are loud. You'll probably have a 3 speed transmission without overdrive so you'll be running pretty high RPMs at 70mph but I've done so for thousands of miles without problem.

Those are good vans, I really liked the ones I had. They're pretty easy to work on.
Yes the 5.9L vans have plenty of power. My old '78 Surveyer class-B was equipped with one that I converted to Quadra-jet and it had plenty of power. I got 13mpg no matter how I drove that van, and it was a B300 1-ton extended body with a 24" hightop and fully equipped...

Dodge vans never came with good sound deadening. $100 dollars with of self stick air conditioning duct sound deadener from Home Depot and Dodge vans are no more noisy then even new vans.

he wound up selling the older dodge for 1800!!! but I lost it so I guess im on the hunt again. I live in new mexico and everyone here wants outrageous amounts for their "camper vans" or even cargo vans 4k for something with 300k miles seems ridiculous to me

joeyib said:
i had posted this link a few days ago but what do you guys think of this?
https://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/6650766129.html

The 6.9L IDI diesel. Great engines till they break.. Suddenly its $$$$ to repair. I don't know why Ford chose International Harvester to make these engines. They could have just as easily gone to Perkins, Volvo, Iveco, Isuzu or Cummins and had a motor with the same power at half the weight and 10 times the longevity.

If you gotta go diesel and its a Ford.. Get the later model 7.3L... Its all the 6.9L without the headbolt and head gasket issues...

I mean thats what I would if I *HAD TO HAVE* a Ford Diesel van... I'd buy it, and immediately convert it over to Cummins 4BT... Then use the 6.9L as an art piece in my back yard..

But better the old Ford 6.9L then the GM 5.7L diesel... Wow now THAT was a piece of garbage...