1961 Ford Country Sedan Wagon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LathrenJames

Reaction score
I know this is iffy but I have a chance to own one and I'm thinking...

I had a 1963 Comet Station Wagon.  I really liked it. On one trip I went from Grapevine TX to South Padre Island, then up to Galveston and back to Grapevine.  There was myself and my 3yr old son.  My best friend and her poodle.  We took everything except the kitchen sink.  Toaster, electric skillet, 2 ice chests, pillows, quilts, clothes etc.  The plan was to stay at cheap motels and cook breakfast each morning, take a picnic lunch and eat a late supper at a cheap cafe.  We didn't like  Padre Island so most of the time we just wandered around and stayed wherever looked good to us.

If you get that wagon what are your plans for it?  In the 80's I had a older neighbor that towed a travel trailer to Mexico each year with a Fire Engine Red Bonneville Station Wagon.  My Comet was a mid size I guess.  His was the size of a small pontoon boat.  At least it seemed that way. 

Jewellann

I dont know. Write about it maybe. There's gotta be a story.

Anyway, the gas consumption would be outrageous in that old ship.

A toaster! ha ha

not a vehicle i'd want to take off the asphalt...maybe smooth gravel would be ok.
wagons were certainly good for drive-in movies though...back in to the space, a few pillows and blankets...never could remember the movie the next day when Mom asked! :rolleyes:

there may be some value as a classic.
depending on condition, options, etc...Haggerty's classic car insurance values it at $6000 up to $18,000.
that would go a long way towards a van.

I don't know whether this wagon has a rear facing back seat, but it's a wonder my generation survived breathing all those exhaust fumes.

I'm not on the road yet, but I currently drive a 1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, fake wood paneling and all. It's not as large as the older wagons but still pretty big. It has the rear facing seat in back. The tailgate can swing out like a door or down like a tailgate. It has the Chevy 350 LT1 engine in it. I get up to 24mpg on the highway (not fully loaded). In my opinion this is exceptional for 1996 and for a vehicle that is almost 5k pounds. As is, with towing package, it can tow between 5 and 6 thousand pounds. Properly set up I think it maxes out around 7k. It has air shocks in back which is nice for leveling a heavy load. It does have a pretty large overhang from the rear wheels to the bumper so bottoming out would be an issue on roads with big dips in them like on some of the dirt roads I've seen in the videos.