12 volt truckfridge or compact house refrigerator?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy Clipper

Reaction score
I would like to have both a compact refrigerator and a compact freezer in my skoolie. Having decided on a 5000 watt inverter and six 315 solar panels which would make more sense? Two small house units or two from Walmart or two 12 volt TF51 from truck fridge?
I prefer two separate units which ever I decide to go with.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

I prefer the 12v compressor units. I did not have a good experience with 120v units. highdesertranger

Some people have very good luck with 120v home refrigerators. You certainly will have the power to run anything you desire. But, if you are permanently installing your fridges, you may wish to consider that a 120v fridge that is not manufactured for mobile applications, likely would need replacement sooner and more frequently than a 12v one.

If you can afford all that solar, why not buy what is more suited to a RV/truck/van situation?

I have a Truckfridge 130, which keeps the fridge below 40F here in Tucson, even with temps up to about 115F outside (it's much hotter than that inside the van, but we installed insulation around the fridge)
Ted

There are certainly 120v fridges/freezers that will run off that kind of power. I love my Engel but honestly should have bought a 3.5 ft chest freezer that runs off of 120v. It may not be as efficient while running, it is much better insulated than the Engel and holds a lot more too for much less money. There is something to be said about the durability factor but I know of people using full sized two door residential units and they are not reporting constant failures.

To share my experience: when designing our Peterbilt motorhome conversion, we bought a cheapie 120 vac refrigerator at Home Depot; in 2010 around $120. This is not the small "cube" size unit but the next size up.

I built this unit in, under the kitchen counter. It was securely mounted in place using some custom brackets I made which attach it to the floor and rear wall. It is now on its 8th season of use. Even with all the movement and rough riding you get on a 22,000 pound truck, surprisingly this thing still works like a champ! Actually, I never expected it to last as long as it has. When it dies I'll just replace it with another just like it!

Just my opinion . . .

speedhighway46 said:
... we bought a cheapie 120 vac refrigerator at Home Depot; in 2010 around $120.

Even with all the movement and rough riding you get on a 22,000 pound truck, surprisingly this thing still works like a champ!
Thanks! Sounds like facts, not opinion, LoL