Cops and self-built passenger seats

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John61CT

Reaction score
This world isn said:
Good point on the belts.  It's also not really legal to bolt down extra seats in a cargo or box van due to liability, they aren't certified crash tested.
from https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=295595#pid295595

I've been thinking of putting DIY bench seats / fold-down bed platforms in a passenger van.

Assuming I get the engineering (not just seat belts) right for safety, what do you think are the chances a cop will cite us on such laws?

Otherwise nice van, mainstream-looking family not radical or druggie looking.

No lectures about the physical risk side please, not looking for build discussions, just address what I'm asking please. . .

I have never had anyone question my seat belts when I had my van. The chances of some cop crawling under and over your seat anchors is about the same odds as winning the lottery. Go for it.

Rob

The only time LEO would notice is during an accident investigation. Then the insurance people get interested.

I agree that LEO isn't going to give a seat belt ticket (usually a non-primary issue) based on an added bench, nor would they be requiring proof of a proper install, yet like was mentioned, an accident could spell trouble.  Do you want to risk your grandsons lives on a do it yourself job?  :huh:

Why does everyone on here just always assume what an LEO will or won't do? Why not just ask the LEOs that are here on this forum? I know we have several

I base my opinions on what I think is realistic to presume. Having no experience with LEO's looking into a van, I can only presume that if you have someone in an obviously homedone seat, he/she may question that. 

In an accident, with injuries, the officer will normally note if seat belts were in use and any other safety concerns that are obvious with the vehicle (grossly overloaded, bald tires etc...). Having been in an injury accident and gotten the police report, I did note that the box was checked concerning seat belt use.

As far as "whistling up" an LEO member, I don't know of any, and I decided not to wait.  :-/

I guess the mods can create a special button that will alert an LEO member if there is a post that includes a question and the letters "LEO". Just programming... get with it mods!  :p

yep ^ it's called the Bat Phone but we reserve for real emergencies. you know if the Penguin, Joker, or Cat Women is causing trouble. highdesertranger

Well yeah there is that. [emoji16]. I just noticed several times that some have either been LEOs briefly or had made a good career of it. I guess if they want to come forward they will. I think you are right anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertranger said:
yep ^ it's called the Bat Phone but we reserve for real emergencies.  you know if the Penguin,  Joker,  or Cat Women is causing trouble.  highdesertranger

If it's the Halle Berry type Cat Woman; I think we should all be notified so we can look/watch/interact if wanted ....

If Halle can't make it, will make do with the earlier Michelle Pfeiffer. . .