Greetings from Hell!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1912

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My name is George, and I plan to go full-time in a truck camper this summer.  I don’t have a truck or a camper yet, but I’ll start searching in earnest once I get back stateside.  I’m in Afghanistan right now, and my two-year adventure here will be over in mid-July.  I am 39 years old and single without pets.  I’m a little scared but a lot excited to be embarking on this adventure.

I will start in New England, head down south to Florida, then around the Gulf of Mexico to Texas, north to Colorado, west to California, and up the West Coast through Canada to Alaska.  My trip might take me from the extremes of the Florida Keys to Prudhoe Bay on the Arctic Shore.  I say, “might” because it’s not written in stone yet, and I don’t plan to force myself to do anything I don’t want to do in retirement.  I plan to take my time -- to make it a “journey,” as Bob puts it.  I will likely winter in the Southwest and hopefully make it to the 2020 January RTR in Quartzsite (if that happens) before heading north along the West Coast in March or April.  I envision arriving in Alaska in early May and spending the entire summer.  I think my trip will take about a year.  If I enjoy the journey and the lifestyle, maybe I’ll make it permanent.

I really appreciate this forum and learning from others.  Once I’ve purchased my truck and camper, I’ll post some pics.  Thanks for reading my first post.

G

Welcome George to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

sounds like a great plan.

highdesertranger

MG1912 said:
Hi folks,

My name is George, 
Welcome George! I think a truck camper is a great idea. Thank you for your Service.

Welcome George!! That's the kind of plan that's dear to my heart, lol
I'm rocking my adventures in truck camper as well although I'm newbie.

Welcome
sounds like a great new adventure coming your way :)

make sure your truck can handle any TC you are wanting to buy. Don't underbuy a truck for what TC you want because the truck is super important at this point as I am sure you know. If the TC is not what you want after use and all, you can sell and buy something to pull maybe, like a cargo trailer or small travel trailer....but with a nice powerful truck you have a lot of options without having to sell it.

just sayin' :)

We had a Elkhorn truck camper for a long time. Loved it. Little total house that rolled wherever we went. I hope you come and find all you want to hit the road and explore in TC luxury! (I say luxury cause to me the day I ditched the tent and got off the ground in our truck camper I thought it was pure luxury LOL)

When I started out I had a list of places spread all across the West, from the Rockies to the Pacific, from Baja to Alaska, and figured I do it all in the first two years. But my priorities and attitudes changed once I was out there. I became less goal oriented, less agenda driven, and started moving in a more natural flow. Seven years later, I've been to about 85% of the places originally on my list. Some of the remaining ones have become unimportant. I'll get to the rest someday. And if I never do, well, it's not that big of a deal, because it has been fun and rewarding so far.

Thanks for the kind and welcoming comments, folks!  I am a federal civilian.

RoamerRV428, thanks for the tips.  I have been reading a lot of truck camping articles and posts, and I will definitely be sure to keep the truck camper's wet weight -- plus all additional cargo, including myself -- well below the GRVW and payload capacity of the truck I buy.  In fact, I will buy the truck camper first and then find a matching truck.  I'd love to get a lighter camper so that I can go with a single rear wheel 3/4 ton truck, but if I need a dually, then I'll get a dually.  I read the article Bob wrote about a light truck camper with a 4x4 truck being one of the best off-road options and a heavy truck camper on a truck being one of the worst options, and I took that to heart!  So no slide-outs for me.  Wish me luck.

I'm hearin' you on FM, MrNoodly!  My "plan" is more of a suggestion to myself.  :)  I need to make it down south at least to Georgia and Alabama to visit friends and relatives, but I might scratch Florida off the list.  San Antonio and Colorado are on my bucket lists, and I probably will spend the winter in the Southwest, but maybe I'll decide at some point that I've had enough moving for one year and scratch Alaska off the list.  No pressure!

KetoKyz said:
Welcome George! I think a truck camper is a great idea. Thank you for your Service.

Oh, and congrats on the retirement... today??!!

You can always get a SRW, single rear wheel 1 ton. My next big purchase is to put super singles on mine and get rid of the 19.5 dualies. They're not really conducive to a lot of off road.

KetoKyz said:

What day is it today KK ? Retirement day??

MG1912 said:
Oh, and congrats on the retirement... today??!!

lol ty, well last day was Friday. But yeah, officially today. Also (was) a federal (DA) civilian.

Welcome to the CRVL forums   :)

Let me invite you to check out the bottom link of the two links below in my signature line. 

It has a bunch of information for trip planning that allows for taking in sites and places along the way. (as side trips)
You could use this to take a virtual journey before you get back to the states and it may help you to
develop an itinerary most suitable to you.  

Long ago when I first started my Van travels,  all I had was a Rand Mcnally Campground Atlas and info I could gather 
at the Public Library in those Fodor's travel books.  Now with the internet and sites like I've put together a person can do a Virtual Van Journey.  

All the best !

Welcome George, I'm in New England, MA to be more specific!

If you pass through Dallas, hit me up for a driveway, power, water, and a hot shower. :)