You're solo and you die or something major

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I was talking about this with my husband. I was on the road for about 5 weeks and my engine went in my van so I had to go home and buy a new car. While I have been home I found a mark on the back of my head/neck. I just went to the doctors and was told it may be cancer. I am 40 years old. My dream was to hit the road and make my way to the rtr. Well we talked about how it was going to happen if the results come back next week that it is cancer. I am going to do everything to make my dreams come true and hit the road. We decided it would be best if my daughter came with me. If something happens my husband will fly to where ever I am to get all my belongings with my daughter. I would rather die where I am happy and not stuck dying in a house. I know the difference between me and this question is I know that I may die out there if I go now. With at least the diagnosis though I have a plan in place so I can have my dream but I am not solo. I was supposed to go solo and now all has changed. This also gives my husband a chance to see me if anything happens with me out there. I also have ice in my phone so if something happens that wasn’t expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kia girl said:
 I just went to the doctors and was told ...

Whoa !  Hold on there !!

I know of at least a couple young ladies who were diagnosed over the last few years, received treatment, and are now holding their own.
One better than the other, yet they are both here to talk about it.

And one of them received some sort of new, cutting edge treatment that was not available for anyone, a rather short time ago...

The physicians have no way to predict what will really happen.

Always get second opinions and ask if others were consulted when a conclusion was arrived at.

Ask if you are getting the best treatment, and also consider alternative treatments if appropriate.

It will be a nice, sunny day tomorrow morning !

Do the best you can to enjoy it !  :)
wheels

wheels said:
Whoa !  Hold on there !!

I know of at least a couple young ladies who were diagnosed over the last few years, received treatment, and are now holding their own.
One better than the other, yet they are both here to talk about it.

And one of them received some sort of new, cutting edge treatment that was not available for anyone, a rather short time ago...

The physicians have no way to predict what will really happen.

Always get second opinions and ask if others were consulted when a conclusion was arrived at.

Ask if you are getting the best treatment, and also consider alternative treatments if appropriate.

It will be a nice, sunny day tomorrow morning !

Do the best you can to enjoy it !  :)
wheels

Thank you, I have great insurance so if I have to I am going to see another doctor to see what I can do. It is hard because I want quality of life which for me means traveling not quantity. It is nice to hear of others that had this also though and are doing what they really want to. Another week will tell me more. Seems like so far away seeings how I wanted to be back on the road already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kia girl said:
Another week will tell me more.  Seems like so far away seeings how I wanted to be back on the road already.
I am thinking when you are out there, travelling, it is You that makes the decisions just what you are capable of, and how much you wish to do, each day, week, or month.  You can make plans accordingly, without what might be an impediment of other persons to consider.
There are accredited regional med centers dispersed around the usa in larger cities, close enough to dispersed camping areas to inquire and set up appointments at same, according to your needs and insurance ???
I am confident you shall be able to retain the free will and liberty to exercise it as long as you wish to.
wheels
...It does seem you are making yourself depressed.  Do whatever may be necessary to escape that trap !
What is it they say ???   ...Carpe Diem !...
for those not versed in Latin, Bill & Ted come to mind...  
image.jpg

:)
I won't ever forget 'Laughter, the Best Medicine'

If you are into insurance then check with GoodSam. They have a program called something like "travel assist" and it pays to return your vehicle home in a medical emergency. Also pays to get a loved one to you while in the hospital. For some people this may be helpful for peace of mind. I've had a heart attack, could have another, I can see where this might be a good idea for me to purchase.

Now if I am dead, I am dead.

But I do have roadside assistance. Maybe I should have this too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vagabond_Keith said:
For you solo people out there....

What do you have in place in case something majorly goes wrong while you are on the road? That is the single biggest worry I have.

I'm going to have a envelope with my emergency numbers and stuff in it so people will know what to do.

You are out hiking. You leave a note in the van telling where and when you went. You fall down a small cliff and break your leg. Do you have a flare with you? Whistle?

Shoot me what you do for preparing for that and other things.

Thanks!! K
When hiking I have always left a big yellow table written with a black sharpie in big letters on the dash so it could be easily read through the windshield. I list my name, cell phone number, emergency contacts and their phone numbers, time I left,  trail I took and when I expect to be back.I've always carried a whistle, emergency blanket,  first aid kit, plenty of water, glucose tablets (I'm diabetic)  and extra medication. When I become a nomad (hopefully soon!) I will do the same with whatever rig I have. I will also tape  an envelope inside a gallon size baggie stating my medical insurance numbers, a list of my medical conditions, and my allergies on my entry door. Last but not least I plan to always have an extra key to give to a fellow camper who will be around the same length of time as me and knows my habits. After that, it's up to a Higher Power!

MrNoodly said:
I'm weird. I'm 65, divorced, childless and not very close to my siblings or their families. I have a handful of friends. No one depends upon me. When I die (which I hope is when I'm out living a life I love) there's no one that particularly needs to know I'm gone—except to keep them from wondering whatever happened or from wasting time and resources trying to find me. I don't care one bit what happens to my body after I die. Leave me to rot in the van out in the boonies. Let the wild animals eat me. Whatever. I don't want anyone making the funeral business richer.

I'm weird because I think longevity is overrated. If I were to die as I'm typing this, my last thoughts might be, "Eh, now's as good a time to go as any." I wouldn't be pissed off my life wasn't longer. In fact I might be glad I didn't spend years in slow, painful decline. So if something were to happen to me that would kill me unless I received immediate medical care, I might think, "Eh, now's as good a time to go as any." In fact, if I were in extreme pain, and I could reach my pistol, I'd probably expedite things.

I'd be content dying at any time because I'm enjoying my current life. Part of enjoying my life is not wasting any time worrying about the end of it. Having something like a locator beacon would mean spending part of my remaining life worrying about death. Is the beacon on? Is it working? Are its batteries charged? When should I take it with me? Always? Everywhere? I don't want to do that.

I think the same as you do!

When I die, on the road or in the library, it will be someone else's problem.

LOVEMYRV! said:
I think the same as you do!

I said basically the same thing earlier .... 

I'd prefer to be doing something I love , much more than being in a nursing home. 

Pat

I don't own a plb but am considering it despite sharing similar views as expressed above about death.

Last winter I was camping in the Yuma area on California side of border on BLM land. Alone, nearest neighbor was easily a mile away.

I lost my footing while out traipsing about and fell a good 8-10 feet to the bottom of a wash. Nasty laceration on shin. But not broken so I gimped back to truck and all was well.

But what if I had broken it? My point is, if I'm healthy and enjoying life, do I want to die over a broken leg? Nope, not me. I want to hang around and see what comes next.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

I have instructions in my wallet to notify my next of kin and to delete my browser history.