You're solo and you die or something major

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every Road Leads Home said:
I believe death is peaceful,  it's as natural as being born.  Not sure why society as a whole is so scared of dying.  

That social security tattoo on the butt doesn't seem like the worst idea!

Dieing  peacefully in your bed sounds great.

Lying there with a broken leg, being eaten alive,  not so much.

As for the ss tatoo, the government may THINK your ass belongs to them, but why concede it with a mark like that?   :cool:

The govt would probably just leave you there. Dead, they just cancel you SSI, and let the coyotes and maggots finish you off. It isn't like they would SEND anyone to help you. I wouldn't bother putting them on auto-dial.

highdesertranger said:
if I am solo and I die.  what difference does it make?  I mean if I am dead I really won't care.  highdesertranger

It's pretty tough to dispute that logic! 

:D

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Dieing  peacefully in your bed sounds great.

Lying there with a broken leg, being eaten alive,  not so much.

As for the ss tatoo, the government may THINK your ass belongs to them, but why concede it with a mark like that?   :cool:

Laying somewhere  in the middle of BFE in excruciating pain would not be my choice and I  agree with many of the points you've made,  but we each have to make our own choice.  When hiking,  I choose to not force SAR to go through heroic efforts to save my tired old butt. I don't carry a PLB and have no plans at this time to start.   Everyone is welcome to think I'm stupid,  your choice. 
My family, grown son and daughter,  my sister,  all know this about me.

My dad died in a nursing home with Alzheimers. I choose to go outdoors if I  can. 

I'd rather die doing something I love.  I just can't imagine what's wrong with that. 

Regards,

Pat

VanKitten said:
I agree, when it is time...it is time.

But...what about kitten?   How might I get her rescued while having those wonderful folk leave me alone?

That is a great point.  When I hike,  I always bring my dog. I would want them to be rescued.   Hmmmmm......now I have to think about it more.

Your dog is probably smart enough to survive on your remains if he is able to fight off bigger smarter animals.

bullfrog said:
Your dog is probably smart enough to survive on your remains if he is able to fight off bigger smarter animals.

A man I worked with lived alone up past the small town of hope. He wasn't exactly old, but he was in his early sixties and a big man. Not fat, unhealthy like we mean when we write big. When he didn't show up for his shift we called him. He lived alone with his three Malmuts. When he missed his third shift I got sent out to his place. I knew the dogs and they liked me.  I could hear the dogs howling when I got out of the car and knew this was going to be a bad day. I kicked the door in and was met by the pack you quickly ushered me into the bathroom. He was in the tub grey/black dead. The dogs had no food and the toliet water was low. I called 911 and took the dogs out back to feed, water, and comfort them. 

The ME said he'd been dead a week at least. The dogs never touched him. 

I told this story at a police workshop affair in Seattle, Washington and a female detective told me she found a stinker a few years back and the lady had six cats. They had eaten a great deal of her and it wasn't pretty. She found no humor in my statement "Cats are just more practical than dogs." 

But that is the bite in sharing your life with an animal. You adopt a fur baby knowing you will in all likelihood bury them. You don't expect to outlive your children, but your fur kids...It is one of the reasons I go back and forth about ever having another pet. My cat was with me through two divorces and three houses...18 years of his sweet evil nature. The thought of him dying alone on BLM land in a hot box is more upsetting than the thought of me having the big jammer, I smell toast, Dosvedonya! 

Heck, I am more surprised I am alive today than not. So, so long as I am not responsible for another life. It is all good. And if the little furry bugger doesn't let 51 years of high end gastronomic addiction go to waste so be it. This long pig has to be good eating.

bullfrog said:

I believe the authorities will destroy any domestic animal found eating human flesh, so that's really no answer.

pnolans said:
Laying somewhere  in the middle of BFE in excruciating pain would not be my choice and I  agree with many of the points you've made,  but we each have to make our own choice.  When hiking,  I choose to not force SAR to go through heroic efforts to save my tired old butt. I don't carry a PLB and have no plans at this time to start.   Everyone is welcome to think I'm stupid,  your choice. 
Not stupid, no. It's different, but it's a valid position.

In that case, I recommend you carry a gun.  You can either shoot the wild animal or shoot yourself, depending on the situation.

Btw, re: forcing SAR to go to heroic efforts to save me;  I've been paying taxes my whole life.  They owe me!

Not stupid, no. It's different, but it's a valid position.

In that case, I recommend you carry a gun.  You can either shoot the wild animal or shoot yourself, depending on the situation.

Btw, re: forcing SAR to go to heroic efforts to save me;  I've been paying taxes my whole life.  They owe me!

Here in CO, they're volunteers,  and they don't owe me anything.  And they get called out often when a tourist gets lost;  and the calling party doesnt bother to call when the lost person shows up! 

Anyway,  been carrying a firearm when I hike "far away from the things of Man "
for quite some time now.   In fact,  in large part because of what you said .
I always carry in that situation. 

Thx,

Pat

In Canada they are all volunteers too. Well except 422 Squadron they are military and while called volunteers...Anyway while the civilian side are all volunteers they are supported by the Federal Provincial and Municipal Governments and supported as such with equipment, travel, and time off work. They are heroes to a person but they only volunteer their time. I volunteered for two for a number of years and always had a great time and never minded getting called out. I would imagine most are the same or similar stateside.

I am not poking you or being argumentative. But in the back country a little injury can become life threatening very quickly and instead of lying in a wash pondering shooting yourself in the head to stave off the coyote hoard just call the guys in red. It is significantly less dramatic, and while I love dramatic endings the poor ranger that finds your body is going to have tons of paperwork and spend hundreds if not thousands investigating why, who, what, and if anyone cares.

The warnings on PLB's and ELD's are perhaps a little too strong and might scare some into waiting till it gets "bad enough" to ask for help. By that time it might be too late. Use the services living in great countries like America and Canada affords us.

I believe the authorities will destroy any domestic animal found eating human flesh, so that's really no answer.

Considering the way I've seen some/many animals treated after being adopted from shelters (animal rescues hopefully keep better track still) I'm counting on it --- I would rather have my furry companion humanely euthanized after I passed and he/she took advantage of the only available food source than to think he/she spent possibly years being mistreated or ignored outside.

Some thoughts on things to consider when deciding on calling for rescue or not:
  1. Have I tried self rescue?
  2. Will my death be slow and painful?
  3. Will my rescuers be exposed to abnormal risk of injury or death?
  4. Will my dying alone and not found for a while create extra emotional pain for others?
  5. Will my dying alone and not found for a while make a slow, lingering death for my pup or will he be easy prey?
  6. What will the authorities do about predators that have fed off my body?  Will my actions result in more death?
The chances are good that you will be reported missing and a search will be started.  If your body is found it will be removed unless it is too dangerous to do so.  And a search will (probably) result in more people, time and cost than a rescue.

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
 --- I would rather have my furry companion humanely euthanized after I passed and he/she took advantage of the only available food source than to think he/she spent possibly years being mistreated or ignored outside.

My guess would be that the animal would be shot on sight.  They aren't going to risk injury trying to capture, restrain and carry out an animal they are just going to kill anyway.

-- Spiff

Scott7022 said:
I am not poking you or being argumentative. But in the back country a little injury can become life threatening 

I've spent a lot of time considering this,  and more than 50 years in the outdoors.  
I've already been miles from nowhere in great pain.  With all due respect, please don't presume to suggest what's right for me.  

As I said in my post,  I would MUCH RATHER die doing something I love. 
Have we gotten to the point where we think everyone should die in a nursing home? Many of the people I know are sick with one malady or other that will end with them dying painfully in a hospital bed.  Many folks have already shared sad experiences with loved ones in hospitals.  How in the world is that better?

Oh and you mentioned something about drama.  No, not at all. 

I think we're really going down a rat-hole here, and away from the OP's question .
I believe the gist was more what steps have those of us taken for emergencies. 
Perhaps we can return to that.   I'll stop defending my point of view from here on. 
There have been some points made , such as taking care of my dog Lacy. 
At my age,  us dog-lovers need to consider reciprocating agreements to care for each other's dogs.   One of my good friends,  as well as  my sister could / should do that. 

Pat

TrainChaser said:
Just don't die by accident, and you'll have more choices.

Firstly, I think everyone has missed this excellent solution. Case closed, problem solved!

Secondly, we've all heard humor is the best medicine, so just always carry a book of jokes with you!!

Fourthly, I'm gonna live forever!!!!

Sixthly, you can never use enough exclamation points!!!!!!

Lastly, think this post has cleared up a lot of confusion. If you needing further knowing, please talk the perso

Just my thoughts for myself:  Since I'm older and have three cats, I would kind of like to stay around where other people are, rather than out in remote areas.  It isn't all about ME.  Even in dispersed campgrounds, someone would likely notice that they haven't seen me, and stop by to check.  This happened once in OR, when I just didn't feel well.  I thanked the woman for being willing to check.

OTOH, there was a relatively well-known incident in Oregon where a sloppy ranger or deputy didn't check the forest road before closing the gates for winter.  There was a man in there who had slid off the road into a ditch.  He lasted nine weeks, slowly starving to death.  The SECOND person who found him notified the authorities.  The FIRST one just stole his wallet.  

This is the guy: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/462644/STRANDED-MOTORIST-WAS-AROUND-CORNER-FROM-SAFETY.html   The spot where he left the road was the worst place on the road.  He was only 56, and likely could have walked out just following the road, but he didn't realize the road had been closed, and he kept expecting help to arrive.  He also expected God to help him, but God was apparently busy right then, or expected him to use the brain He gave him.

Wow! Ok, yeah, I get the OP question was What happens when you die or something major. I took the something major to be an injury. I think a few others did as well. Not really sure what else, something major could be?

Don't use a PLB to summon help because the batteries are dead and you can't read your Simone DeBeauvoir novel.

Do summon help if you break your leg.

Don't die in the bush. Feeding the animals is against the law in most states and provinces as it habituates them to human scrounging.

Don't die in the bush because life is awesome and people love you, or at very least, your pet needs you.

If you die in the bush the most likely outcome is you will be discovered. There will be lots of activity, securing a crime scene as all dead stinkers are crime scenes until they are not. The activity will most likely scare off an already traumatized pet. If it is not scared off do you really want to risk finding a compassionate soul?

If you are in the middle of bloody no place and you die, so does your pet and any one else totally dependant on you. So don't die in the woods. If my saying; "don't die in the woods" wounds your feelings and personal ideology of freedom and the pursuit of happiness, by all means ignore the hell out if. I am not here to tell anyone how to live or die.

Vonbrown said:
I couldn't think of a better place to die than the beautiful desert in the southwest.

How about in the arms of one or two beautiful ladies?