Your thoughts on a Container home

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HoboBerg said:
It can be done! Been in mine for more then two years. Spray foam is a must.

Thanks for the reply. I read your blog last night and sent you an email earlier today.

"I don’t plan on a lot of travelling."

unless you move with the weather you will need to spend a lot on artificial temperature control one way or another. when I say spend a lot what I mean is this could be in time or money or both. highdesertranger

I didn't discourage ya :)

I said go for it....just do you homework well and build what the heck ya want :)

its been done before and others will build container (or other type) homes, just do what you want.

highdesertranger said:
"I don’t plan on a lot of travelling."

unless you move with the weather you will need to spend a lot on artificial temperature control one way or another.  when I say spend a lot what I mean is this could be in  time or money or both.  highdesertranger

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Bob Wells and jimindever did a video on having a solar system costing $2,000. Jim’s system could run two air conditioners, two freezers, etc.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I currently spend about $2,500 every year on electric and natural gas. There are many taxes in my utility bills. Every utility bill has a privilege tax. They think it is a privilege for you to get heat and water.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]My thinking is since I will not be traveling much my gas savings can go into solar.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Also I will be savings so much money, by changing my current lifestyle, that I could also afford some type of vehicle if I want to travel later.[/font]

RoamerRV428 said:
I didn't discourage ya :)

I said go for it....just do you homework well and build what the heck ya want :)

its been done before and others will build container (or other type) homes, just do what you want.

I appreciate your thoughts!

You say this converted container would have a bathroom. Are you talking about a bathroom with hot running water and flush toilet? If so, you'd want your cheap land to have a water source, a possibility of a well. But if the water table/aquifer were easily tapped into, the land wouldn't be cheap, or at least the cheapest. If on-site water is a problem, then it would need to be trucked in regularly and stored. And a flush toilet would also require a septic system. Or you could skip the convenience of flushing and go with a composting toilet. Or dig a big pit for an outhouse. Hot water means a way to heat it and the fuel to heat it with, which would also need to be brought in.

As soon as one decides to live on a spot rather than just camp there, the complications add up. The type of box to live in is just first on the list, and probably one of the less important questions.

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I had a bad experience years ago with getting a well in. That can be a topic for a whole new thread. I think a lot of people could learn how not to be taken with drilling a well from my experience. So for my current project I would go for a cistern.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Whether I go with a septic system or composting toilet is up for debate now. Years ago I owned a composting toilet.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]For hot water I am thinking of a tank less water heater, either using solar or propane.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have experience with living off of the grid miles from anyone, using a composting toilet and living for years in a 23 foot travel trailer. I know a lot of things not to do this time around.[/font]

Would love the list of what not to do..another thread for that would be great.

"Bob Wells and jimindever did a video on having a solar system costing $2,000. Jim’s system could run two air conditioners, two freezers, etc"

yes they did but you left out the part were they don't sit in one spot all year. they both follow the weather. I am building one of those huge solar systems right now but I also don't sit in one place all year. I like to be outside all day, when it's 120° in the shade there is no way I want to work outside, like wise when it's -5° I don't want to work outside. ever try panning for gold at that temp. I don't like sitting inside all day in a temperature controlled environment. I guess you do that's fine to, me personally I would go stir crazy.

highdesertranger

You may run into higher fees and commercial regulations.

We bought cheap land in Eastern Arizona that allows almost anything. It's in Apache County and they don't seem to care what you do. I understand that on the books they don't allow shipping containers on property without first getting a building permit but it happens all the time around here and I haven't heard of anyone getting fined or even questioned about it. Probably because the County is so broke it really doesn't want to prevent people from moving onto property here. We have our water hauled in for $60 per 1000 gallons. Our septic is just like boondocking. We pee in bottles and mix it with our gray water and use it for fertilizer. Our solids are done by lining the toilet with a trash bag and then dumped into the garbage can for pick up. Trash pick up is once a week and costs $50 every two months. We asked the County about it and they have no problem using the garbage for bagged poop. It's no different than baby diapers.

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you very much for this post. Besides areas in Nevada I have also been looking at Apache County. It is a definite possibility for me. I would like to keep in touch with you.[/font]

The biggest draw back about Apache County for us is the wind. Other than that its really nice. Lots to explore. People are friendly. If you ever get down this way you can camp on our land and see how you like the area. We have 2.2 acres and the start of a fence and decent driveway and plenty of room for RV parking. [email protected]

coastnalo said:
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I currently spend about $2,500 every year on electric and natural gas. There are many taxes in my utility bills. Every utility bill has a privilege tax. They think it is a privilege for you to get heat and water.[/font]

Have your utilities turned off. You will save $2,500.00 a year. You can start living under the same conditions that you will have with your container home. No indoor plumbing, no heat, no electricity, etc. You will need to figure out replacements  for these utilities later, so figure them out now before you spend any money.
Pretend that you are at your final destination. Find out where the nearest food store is to that location, and now don't shop anywhere closer than that to where you are now. Shop at the same size store as well. Only go places that are also available at the new location. No Walmart there? Then don't go to Walmart where you now are, etc. No TV or cable there, keep yours turned off. Try to apply now the exact conditions that you will have there. See if reality is as much fun as the dream. Maybe heat and water is a privilege.

Basically all you save on using a shipping container versus a regular tiny home is the cost of some shell framing, minus the cost of container, delivery and rigging expense.

You will find that most containers are (surprise!) for sale near ports and depots, not in the middle of nowhere.
They can be found inland, but are generally more abundant and cheaper where they get used.

After you buy one in decent shape, you have to pay to have it delivered and any rigging.
That can range from crane rigging to a big forklift onsite to lift it.

Then you need to consider foundation.
Will it be on some sort of platform, footing or just on dirt or gravel?
I've seen many containers set down for temporary storage on what was level land, that later sank into soft ground or ended up tilting due to runoff/erosion.

Next you have to deal with unconventional construction to finish the interior.
You don't want to put holes all over the container to attach utilities and interior systems.
Where do you attach electrical boxes, wiring, piping, conduit, etc.?
So you need to decide if you will stud/fir the walls out somehow.
Don't forget about insulation. Those are bare metal walls, it will be an ice box in winter and an oven in summer.
you can mitigate this to some degree buy partially buying the container, but that also has issues with moisture, rust, etc.

You also need to consider openings in walls. It's unlikely you will want to swing open a 4' wide end door the full height of the box, letting out all of your comfy cool/warm interior air every time you enter exit. Unless you like living in a coffin, you'll probably want windows and/or skylights. These openings have to be cut into the steel framed some how to support hinges/hardware and accept standard construction windows, doors and skylights.

It is tempting to think of containers as "instant houses" but in reality they pose some challenges and may not offer much benefit over traditional construction.

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for all of the effort you put into coming up with all of the points you made. It is not ground in stone that I will use a shipping container.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I am looking for the least cost, most comfortable solution to downsize from my current housing situation. My first inclination was a travel traveler, but was taken aback by Bob Wells saying they are cheaply made and ended up costing his friends $10,000 to $20,000 in repairs. Yikes![/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]What type of housing would you suggest to people who want to reduce their housing costs (travel trailer or container or tiny house or ?). This question is open to anyone reading this thread.[/font]
[font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]

I think I would consider an old school bus that could be driven to the site. I doesn't have to run well, just enough to get it there. Put it on blocks and put a skirt around the bottom. Water tanks and propane could be stored under there with enough insulation and a little heat for during the winter. Face the side door to the south to keep the cold winter wind from coming in. A secondary door could be added inside to give yourself a mud room. Cover and insulate the windows you don't want. You could put a secondary type roof above it for shade in the summer and even extend it to create a porch. Build out how you want it.