You don't really need to wash your hair at all.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldwolf said:
My grandmother, RIP, told me stories about how she would comb corn meal into her hair,,,it would absorb oil and then she would brush it out. This was during the cold winter months back when rural homes were heated with wood stoves.

That's exactly what "dry shampoo" is. It's a corn starch or corn meal based aerosol spray that absorbs the oil from hair, and then is brushed out.

Of course, they multiply the price by 10 when it turns from corn meal to dry shampoo.  :sleepy:

Another thing I do is to use a stiff brush to scrub the dead skin off my scalp. The brush I use is actually a beard brush that came with my hair trimmer kit. About once a week I'll stand outside and go over my scalp with this brush. It takes about 10 - 20 minutes, depending on how fast your scalp makes dead skin and how long it's been since you've done it. You will definitely be amazed how much dead skin your scalp makes.

The best of both worlds.Clean your hair with cornmeal and then use it for cornbread.(The cornmeal,not your hair)

I didn't wash my hair for a few weeks while I was first getting used to vandwelling... but it got stiff after a while. I was trying to wash it with a wet towel, but that didn't work very well. I finally got a chance to do an actual shower and was so impressed by how soft and nice it felt after it dried. I'll no longer go without hair washing. I considered that a big mistake in my early vandwelling days.

I have long, curly hair. Four days is the longest I can go without washing it. I do wet it with a spray bottle full of water and brush all the tangles and knots out daily. 

Dreadlocks would be easier! Lol

Bill has no hair to speak of, but has an awesome ZZtop kinda beard that he washes when it gets too itchy. (About once a week)

To each their own! Live life as you see fit. ?

Hello forum friends - I am not trying to take over and be a moderator - I just wanted to keep this discussion going even though it is not in line with the original post so I started a new thread.

Go to "Vandwelling topics that don't fit in other areas" The title of the new thread is "Nature for Mental and Physical Health"

I am anticipating a good thread. Just to keep this post on topic - you may go to my new thread with or without washing your hair.:) :)

I don’t agree with this statement. I think it’s just a conception that many people say, in order to feel better about not applying that many chemicals on their hair. When in fact, it is good to wash your hair frequently. This way you don’t allow any build up to stay on your scalp and let it breath. Also, you nourish your hair by applying conditioner, so why is this a bad thing? You just need to have really good products, from shampoo to styling tools. Just take your time and inform yourself about high quality ingredients

Hey Lizzy: for many vandwellers water needs to be conserved so washing hair frequently isn't possible.

Something tells me you probably aren't a vandweller and wouldn't be aware of that.

LoveCareThinkDo said:
I haven't washed my hair at all for a couple of months now. At first is seems as if it will just keep getting more and more greasy. But it doesn't. Eventually, it levels off and ends up being a little greasy but not that anybody would really notice. Now it is softer and more healthy than it has been most of my life. I always wondered why my hair was so dry like Straw during the day but greasy as hell when I woke up in the morning before I took a shower. Now I know it was just constantly trying to save itself after I'd been stripping all the natural oils off every damn day.

Here is a nice video about this guy who hasn't shampood in his hair in 2 years and nobody can even tell:   

Strongly disagree.  Sweat stinks, and harbors oils that themselves at the very least stink and can stink even worse when they start to go stale and ferment.  Ever smell bitter walnuts?  Same thing.  Fats.  But ours are a lot more gross. It's not like trees eat salami or garlic.

My dogs stink without baths.  My cats stink without baths.  I stink without a bath.  You do too.  I have known countless people who only shampoo once a week and their hair absolutely stinks.  They think they're fine.  Absolutely blecchh, absolutely not. 

Not admitting there is a problem does not make a problem go away.  It just makes it go away in your mind.

This sounds an awful lot like the "I don't need to wipe my butt" threads I've seen pop up here and there.  Or the "Why bathe? Just use perfume!" talks and threads I've seen and been a part of.  It even reminds me of the "cheeseburgers are all you need to eat" threads and personal talks I've come across more frequently than most might think.  Some people like to work their way backward from their desired behavior or standards to any sort of justification for it, no matter how weird, that fits it.

Well, it works for ethics and morals, I suppose it might as well work for not wiping your butt or washing your jeans or shampooing your hair.

During the early days of the pandemic almost a year ago, we ran low on shampoo. What to do? Buzz cuts for everyone! No worries when you don't have hair to get dirty/smelly.

I have to wash my hair every day or it gets greasy as heck. And yes, scalps/hair do smell if you don't keep them clean. I just got my hair cut the shortest I've had it in a long time and have been shampooing hair every other day and using baby powder as dry shampoo in between. It works...ok.

Buzz cut. Wash same as everything else, with an exfoliating was cloth.

Pre panic, back in October 2019, I bought clippers, after never finding a barber, not a stylist, in my dispersed travels.

I've had a couple of bad haircuts from stylists in towns that I was passing through, and they knew I wouldn't be back. Looks good in the shop, leave and wash my hair and the good is gone.

One less thing to deal with.

MaTaLa said:
Don't really need hair but I would take it if it'd grow on top again.
Now hair has gone rogue...it'll grow anywhere it's not supposed to.

I know what you mean. I go with the Tonsure look myself as well. Out of necessity. 

I've heard numerous times that you can have nice healthy looking hair and not have to wash it frequently, it naturally conditions itself.

yup, hair and scalp stink after a while. Not one doubt about that.
I guess the person under that scalp and hair don't notice? Too bad cause others can :)
but I can say when I know someone hasn't washed their hair in a while and ya get near them, oh yea you can tell.

I guess if people can't smell their own stink they don't stink? but everyone is gonna do what they want so :) :)

I hardly ever use soap in my hair, I wash it under a shower, or in a bath or stream, bucket etc ..like you would if you were to shampoo, minus the shampoo. I do use soap or shampoo a couple times a month. I read somewhere that soap takes all the natural oils out. I started loosing my hair thirty years ago someone who had barely any left told me his started going like mine. I changed diets, lifestyle, started using less soap on my hair as well as massaging my scalp, regularly, I have a thinnish not bald spot on thé very top but managed to keep most maybe even regrew some.

Ya know, to be fair, if one were to use Gorilla Glue in their hair, they wouldn't need to wash their hair for the rest of their life.

You don't need to comb your hair ether.

hippy-dreads.jpg