Yeti w ice or junk ice chest ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found that my daily chore of swapping out my 2 ice blocks, between Iceco freezer and my sportsman's cooler have, in effect given me the full benefits of having a refridgerator and a freezer working well for food storage in my Suburban. I've never bought ice, while doing this and it's been effective, even while staying in the desert in Arizona during hot temperatures.
Sounds like you have a plan, and it is working great for you. Nice job!!

Sounds like you have a plan, and it is working great for you. Nice job!!
Thanks for encouragement. I also remind folks (most already know this) that if you try to keep the units full, or close to it, rather than close to empty (Lots of airspace), the temperature stability is much more constant; more easily maintained.

Leaving all other factors out of consideration
Such ambient temp, shading the ice box , draining it etc etc etc

JUST A Bing the two

Can you show me what I gain**with the yeti or similar versus a $30 igloo ?

Gain**. Gain in time food stays cool

Just apples to apples
Before spending your hard earned money it's always best to do some research.
How many hot days will ice beverages and food survive?
Here are some comparisons.
Cooler reviews
Cooler reviews II

I do not know if this is asked in any of the threads, so i am going to ask it now.
Does anyone know which of the chest Freezer Fridges use the least amount of power in watts / amps with 12 or 24 vdc? I have a KE-50sw that uses about 25 to 35 amps a day set at 5 degrees, that I use as a freezer for frozen food and to make ice to put in my cooler. I would like to get a compressor Freezer Fridge to use as a fridge with my Freezer, with out using to much more power. Thank you for the info. Edward

No electric cooler or buying ice for me. I open my free Coleman cooler from the Free Pile at night and let everything get cold and in the day I close it and put a blanket over it. Can’t deal with the stress of acquiring electricity or ice or melted ice in my foods.

I do not know if this is asked in any of the threads, so i am going to ask it now.
Does anyone know which of the chest Freezer Fridges use the least amount of power in watts / amps with 12 or 24 vdc? I have a KE-50sw that uses about 25 to 35 amps a day set at 5 degrees, that I use as a freezer for frozen food and to make ice to put in my cooler. I would like to get a compressor Freezer Fridge to use as a fridge with my Freezer, with out using to much more power. Thank you for the info. Edward
Eapj1, I have 3 different sized chest coolers, they all draw about the same when they are running, about 45wattts. Here is what you get into, how long in a given hour are they going to run and lets say you have a frig setting of 35 degF, during the night when it's a lot cooler in my DIY camper, it runs/cycles less and in the heat of the day it runs/cycles more but in a 24 hour period (50/80 deg range) it uses about 250 watts.

Engel