Xbox one in a car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBlitz

Reaction score
Hi all,

On the 17th I will be forced to live in my car till I receive a insurance check(might be 3 months, at that point will be looking for something larger)

I wanted to be able to run my xbox one in the car, to do this I bought a 13 inch battery tv (test will run about 4 hours before needs a charge),

For the Xbox though, I did some research/math and used a online calculator (Volts/amp hours/watt hours etc)..

Which is why I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PF9S9NY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Based on my math at the time, which was based on the fact that the xbox one uses 125 watts, and that the Solor Generator was 280 watts and the battery was 67500 mAh, I calculated that I should be able run the xbox for about 4/5 hours...I have tested it...
It does run fine, but after about 1 hour 40 mins the battery was dead.... Any Idea why? 
I bought the Generator when it was on sale for $129 (now $199(wish I bought 2....)..

I have found 2 other Generators one with 400 watt and  120,000 mha battery for $339.99
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Gen...099011&rnid=13883098011&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-24

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]or this one 500 watts and 156,000 mha battery for $388.00 [/font]
https://www.amazon.com/Audew-Genera...099011&rnid=13883098011&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-27

Could they work? (as there battery life is more then double my current one) I also wonder though about charging them, I was going to get a 80 or 100 watt fold able panel, but thought its a nice 45-56 degrees in the day time here in Jan, its also been rather raining as late.(so not sure if it would charge much)..we do get good Sun here in MD but not really till the spring were it will start to hit the 80s.

first off none of those are generators. they are batteries with an inverter, most are over priced for what you get. I am too tired right now to do the math, maybe someone else will, but are you sure it was fully charged when you started?

also be aware that on a lot of these you can't just plug any old solar in willy nilly. research how much solar they can handle and what type of plug they use.

also most of these take a really long time to recharge.

highdesertranger

For comparison purposes a 500 watt hour power station is about the same functional size of a traditional lead acid battery of 100 or so amp hours.

Lead acid is still the value choice, even with the maintenance issues. But with the added costs of a charge controller and an inverter plus wiring those power stations have merit.

The suaoki brand has quite a bit less marketing hype and there older generation models are value priced.

Keep in mind that small Li-ion power stations of this type generally list their Amp-hour rating at their (unspoken) native voltage of around 3.7V. In this item's case that gives around 250 Watt-hours capacity:

67.5Ah * 3.7V = 249.75 Watt-hours

Assuming that the built-in DC-to-AC inverter is about 75%-80% efficient, you're getting about as much play time on your Xbox One as I would expect from that power station.