Would you be comfortable overnighting on a road like this?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigT

Reaction score
I found this street near my work and was hoping to overnight on it a few evenings a week.
Problem is, there's more than just big-rigs parked on it.
There's also a fairly large number of beat up, run down RV's, vans and converted bread trucks and U-Haul's.
The street also parallels RR tracks that I'm not sure are in use, but probably are.

Every once in a while, one of the abandoned RV's will mysteriously burn to the ground in the middle of the night (I've seen it happen twice).
Some of the trucks have graffiti on their sides, though I don't know for certain that they got "tagged" at this location.

Recently I noticed a port-potty and hand washing station between a couple of the RV's. Whether this was intended for the truck drivers or RV'er's I can't be certain.
There are several shipping docks and trucking companies across the street, so who knows.
I also saw the city cleaning up the excess trash a time or two, so it looks like they make an effort to keep it clean.

My guess would be that the area was originally set up for the truck drivers, but the RV crowd quickly took advantage of it.

My Spidey Sense tells me to find another spot.

Attachments

• tempImageytD27P.png
    tempImageytD27P.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
You can find a much better area. Do the search and find it. You don’t want to add to the problems that are already apparent or be associated with them by local law enforcement.

Thank you, bullfrog, that was my thought tho I was going to ponder it awhile before posting.

I wouldn’t want to be considered part of that mess, nor to have to look at it.

Tho I am not a person fearful of people who don’t look, dress nor live like me, there is a mindset of individuals reflected in some of those photos that is not similar to mine and which I would not want to be associated with.

This looks like every "down on your luck" urban RV settlement I've seen in lots of places. You takes your chances. But there's always fights, fires, drug dealing. arguments, street law, trash all over. Just have to close your eyes, ignore, and watch your back. An alert dog who will alarm is a good help

Well looks like you can definitely stay there. But doesn't look like you should. Nice that its near work, but I would look for somewhere else.

I found this street near my work and was hoping to overnight on it a few evenings a week.
There's also a fairly large number of beat up, run down RV's, vans and converted bread trucks and U-Haul's.
The street also parallels RR tracks that I'm not sure are in use, but probably are.

Every once in a while, one of the abandoned RV's will mysteriously burn to the ground in the middle of the night (I've seen it happen twice).
Some of the trucks have graffiti on their sides, though I don't know for certain that they got "tagged" at this location.

Recently I noticed a port-potty and hand washing station between a couple of the RV's. Whether this was intended for the truck drivers or RV'er's I can't be certain.
There are several shipping docks and trucking companies across the street, so who knows.
I also saw the city cleaning up the excess trash a time or two, so it looks like they make an effort to keep it clean.

My guess would be that the area was originally set up for the truck drivers, but the RV crowd quickly took advantage of it.

Follow your "Gut feeling"...."It's usually right"..!

Only stay if you enjoy bum fights and open drug use.

Run, do not walk, AWAY.

My first rule of living in a van is never look like you live in a van.

I’m pretty sure most of the folks at the location you describe wouldn’t pass this simple test.

Yeah, I wasn't really going to park there. I just wondered if some of you might think it was just business as usual when sleeping on a public street in an industrial area.

Any time I see garbage piling up around an old RV, I know the occupants likely don't have both oars in the water and should be avoided.

The last thing I want is to get a knock at the door, and have it NOT be a police officer telling me to leave.

Nope not likely and only if I felt comfortable familiar with the location and some of the inhabitants. Bottom line I would rather be somewhere with more nature and less people especially the likes of people that would require me to sleep with my gun near reach. But hey to each their own.

I've encountered such areas in several cities.
Often there is a de facto "okay place to sleep in your car area".
Sometimes its just outside city limits, or along some street that doesn't offend anyone's view from their business or their condos windows.

There is an area like this in Red Hook Brooklyn, and also on the Durham/Chapel Hill border.
The Brooklyn one is a mix of van lifers and people too broke to do anything but live in a car.
In Durham, the spot is a mix of tractor trailers and box vans on a road behind a Home Depot.
I park near that Home Depot sometimes. Because I figure if they are going to hassle anyone, it's the shirtless guy with 8 dogs who strews trash all over the place and hasn't moved in months.
I park a block up from the riff raff and keep a very low profile.

In San Francisco (almost South San Francisco) there is an area called Dogpatch. Used to be a lot of broken down RVs and pickup truck camping types.
But when the real estate market inflation exploded gentrification found Dogpatch. So the threadbare campers that dumped their black water tanks on the street got rousted. Along with everyone who was better behaved.

Thank you, bullfrog, that was my thought tho I was going to ponder it awhile before posting.

I wouldn’t want to be considered part of that mess, nor to have to look at it.

Tho I am not a person fearful of people who don’t look, dress nor live like me, there is a mindset of individuals reflected in some of those photos that is not similar to mine and which I would not want to be associated with.
I agree with WanderingRose. I have a long street very close by with blocks of RV's and vans, that have been there for over a year. There is comfort in numbers, but only if the people were basically honest. From what I have seen, petty theft and fires have increased much over the past year. Also, much of the waste products are going right into the drain system which leads to the bay.

My first rule of living in a van is never look like you live in a van.

I’m pretty sure most of the folks at the location you describe wouldn’t pass this simple test.
Yes, AVOID having your license plate recorded as part of an undesirable situation. If "something" happens you don't want to be on record as someone who was questioned.
At all costs look like someone who doesn't live in their vehicle and if found in your vehicle at night look like someone who is probably only going to spend a night or a week or at most a month in your car. Wear wrinkle free clothes, hair cut shortish or very tidy and Keep your vehicle clean and shiny. Have an upbeat demeanor and be ready to "present" if the popo come knocking. Don't be cast with what they regard as the "undesirables" in their (the police's) estimatiom.

I am a no for comfort for sure :) but in a pinch...yea I would overnight but it sure would be something my wheels would take me from in the end of it all LOL Keep looking for sure for better cause better is out there in alot of fashions.

Some of the RV's are in OK shape, but others suggest a really dysfunctional life.
Just look at the dashboard and roof of this wreck. I shudder to think what the rest of the interior looks like.

Attachments

• tempImageB27jg0.png
    tempImageB27jg0.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Like everyone else says, if you have any other choice at all, avoid places like that.

That said, I'm torn on making blanket judgments about the people living there. As I recall, Bob originally started living in his van because of a traumatic (divorce) situation. In his travels, he (and many of us) discovered this new lifestyle could actually be a good choice. Never forgetting, that for many, it's more a necessity than a choice. It's why (I think) he originally started CHEAPrvliving.

Loathe as I am to admit it, I feel more in common with those living in broken-down RV/Camper/tents/and tarps than with many others in the RV community. Like the folks with high-end RVs that have never been turned away from an RV park because of the looks or age of their rig. Just like many urban S&B areas, the RV lifestyle is also open to "gentrification." As are some RV forums.