Working hard to be houseless

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frood

Reaction score
Hello all!

Wish I'd realized this lifestyle were possible a long time ago. Would have made living in the Bay Area
a lot more comfortable and fun. 

Been scrimping and saving to pay off debt for what seems like forever, and now only have about $3500 
to go until I get to zero. Then I can start saving to get a vehicle to convert, or maybe convert a beater 
that I can get free (that needs massive amounts of work) as practice (and maybe to flip and build up
capital more quickly?) before building out my own. 

Lifelong student with short attention span, and plan to keep learning things for as long as I have a mind 
capable of doing so. 

Right now I'm stuck in one place until I acquire finish my travel plans and don't have to be so dependent
on regular income to meet my obligations. I'm serious about making this shift, but also know myself well
enough to realize that I may get distracted by the next shiny I see, although the desire to become a 
nomad has been present inside me with a greater or lesser sense of urgency since I was young... Running
away with the circus was really tempting at one point, and when circuses became less common the next
pipe dream was becoming a worker in a traveling carnival. 

Until I'm on the road myself I'm stuck here living vicariously through YouTube and a few BBS/Forums.

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

If you're in a place that has you working at "break even" to cover your cost of living, it is more than time to depart from that way of life.  It's simply being stuck in a revolving door that will steal years of your life and in the end being no better off than the day you started.  If you only had a high mileage rig to just live in without driving it much,  a cell,  a membership to a gym (like Planet Fitness which is one of many) where you could go shower/shave/clean up etc,  recharge a laptop, cell, or tablet, and work from there....you could put the money you are spending now into saving for a much better rig. Even a small economy beater to do your running around in.  Your cell could even be a burner and go use WIFI at the many hot spots including the gym.  At the least,  you would have a minimalist lifestyle and "MONEY" in your life  again.

In the signature lines below,  the first site is about converting a Van into a Rig  with the last page being "My own Story".  Remember, everyone has different reasons/motives for wanting to live out of a rig. Everyone's story is different. 

The site below it is a portal of helpful information that anyone interested in using a Van/rig to live out of may find quite beneficial.  It is to help make one's life more safe, comfortable, and convenient.  If you were to use the Trip Planning Links you could virtually travel the country and see from the computer as though you are looking thru the windshield.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

This life style is not for everyone.   But those that are making it happen and surviving have a backup fund for bad things happening. 

Research any vehicle before you throw money into it. It sucks to have to walk away from a years work and parts because of a blown motor or transmission.  

I know a lot of people that are not going back to a regular lifestyle, but just as many that have a split year of living at a home base and regular medical and hitting the road for winter and spring. 

There are options.

"Research any vehicle before you throw money into it. It sucks to have to walk away from a years work and parts because of a blown motor or transmission."

That advice is so elementary but it hit me between my eyes. A reliable vehicle rates above a great build for me. In fact, I now see the wisdom of a pickup and trailer build that some have been advising.

Best of luck
buy what suits you, go at it and hit the road....how that all happens sets on you :) buy you got this....go for what you want at all times and just remember, the wheels have to be moving in order to really travel and enjoy the life on the road :) good decent vehicle means a great road life!

eDJ_ said:
If you're in a place that has you working at "break even" to cover your cost of living, it is more than time to depart from that way of life.  It's simply being stuck in a revolving door that will steal years of your life and in the end being no better off than the day you started.  If you only had a high mileage rig to just live in without driving it much,  a cell,  a membership to a gym (like Planet Fitness which is one of many) where you could go shower/shave/clean up etc,  recharge a laptop, cell, or tablet, and work from there....you could put the money you are spending now into saving for a much better rig. Even a small economy beater to do your running around in.  Your cell could even be a burner and go use WIFI at the many hot spots including the gym.  At the least,  you would have a minimalist lifestyle and "MONEY" in your life  again.
I neglected to mention that I have a lot of experience camping and RV camping. It just never occurred to me that it would be possible to do this on a full-time basis. I think the Robin Williams movie “RV” (I think that is the name) was the first time I had ever even considered it as something really possible.

my job doesn’t pay great, but I don’t really have any expenses right now. I did manage to build up a large amount of debt though. I’ve basically been using about 80% of my income to pay it down. By the end of this year I will have zero debt and actually a little bit of cash surplus. i’m working on building remote income streams as well, although right now I’m still trying to figure out what’s possible and haven’t actually done so yet.

i’m still trying to decide what the ideal vehicle situation is going to be for me. but since I still have time, I’m not in a rush to make a decision. I have to say though is it not spend money on anything fun for the last two years… Well a little stir crazy now.

Welcome, Frood:

Starting out debt-free is the best way to go! You are already starting to see light at the end of that tunnel. Keep up the good work!

Just a thought on retiring your debts.  If any of it is credit card debt consider paying it down to a small amount like $200.  If you pay it all off they may raise your interest rate.  Just make your monthly payment + an extra $10 and pay it early.  It should keep you with a good credit rating.  For the other bills you may need to retire them.  But it will be important to keep and maintain a good credit rating should you
have need.  Live as a Nomad will still have some of the sticks & bricks needs in common. (good credit channels being one of them)