Women's Forum - Maiden Voyage - company?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebraOak

Reaction score
Am setting out in my first, maiden voyage into the Colorado mountains July 17 - 19. Thinking Leadville area but with the pandemic wondering if boondocking is even available. I don't even know how to find a boondocking place, not really. Actually getting out there is a lot different than reading all about it. Anyone in the area could give me some real-life tips?

I'm in a Toyota Rav4.

DebraOak said:
Am setting out in my first, maiden voyage into the Colorado mountains July 17 - 19. Thinking Leadville area but with the pandemic wondering if boondocking is even available. I don't even know how to find a boondocking place, not really. Actually getting out there is a lot different than reading all about it. Anyone in the area could give me some real-life tips?

I'm in a Toyota Rav4.

I located good places by simply driving around on Forest Service roads, exploring the offshoot side roads, and using a paper National Forest map. You may have other resources today, but those can get you started. You may find some easy to get to and close to town places are already being used, I never liked camping close to others, so would keep looking if I found someone in a regular place I wanted to camp or one I found. Spending some free days tooling around can be fun and repay in giving a good feel for the lay of the land and knowing some good spots and backups.  I had maybe 30 or so places I used within 10 miles of Flagstaff, with many backup areas all around. Open the driving distance and theres vastly more.

Your rav 4 should be fine, I looked at them before getting a 4runner, the rav 4s had enough room to sleep in the back. My solution to making room to sleep and still carry gear/stuff/junk is a shelf in the rearmost part, my legs can go underneath, and I have room to sit up and move around or get dressed inside. In the 4runner, the dog sleeps/rides on the shelf, and theres room for gear on the sides and some under the shelf while still room for my legs. other stuff can go to one side of the back or in the passenger front seat while im in the back.

I am not in the area, but as I recall Leadville is pretty high up. I am sure you will have a blast. Congrats on getting on the road.
-crofter

HI DebraOak  --- how did your July trip go? 
I set out on my new van's "Maiden Voyage" on July 12 and had great fun for about a week in Northern California in Lassen Park area. I'm a 57yo woman, been doing boondocking road trips for over 30 years, in smaller vehicles.  I rarely camp in campgrounds as I find them noisy and often full.  Sometimes I do stay in them as it can be pleasant when there's actually space and there are few other options.  But boondocking is a lot of fun!  I believe that there are tips on how to find boondocking sites on this website.  

Boondocking can be quite unpredictable and sometimes one has a harder time finding a site than other times. 

What I recommend is what I am starting to do, which is to begin keeping notes from your travels, as you explore them w/ an eye to boondocking.  This is a different way of looking at the landscape, and you'll notice different things.  I recommend bring along a GPS device and write down the coordinates of any sites you find where you end up camping, for future reference.