women's forum, baby steps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gertie I typed “van sized mattress” into yahoo and found a 5’5” (and bigger) mattress sold all over for a variety of price points,Amazon was the cheapest at $117. there are more expensive ones that may or may not be better quality. I think people are talking about cutting down large pieces of foam to size not a real mattress although I imagine anything is possible. I use a thick canvas mattress I got off an old fashioned metal folding cot and my 3 fold covered foam pad from Walmart so you can use what you have around or buy something. Start looking at Craigslist and garage sales.

Also try this site: ParkedinParadise.com click on : Van Life Guide then click on : Layout and Storage then scroll down to mattresses (talks all about mattresses and how to cut them if you want to) Read Amazon reviews before buying anything.

Thank you for all the good info.  I've got a thin mattress from my dad's old metal cot so that would be a good start for the bottom, and I was thinking of trying to cut down my bed mattress because it's firm and I love that.  But haven't gone forward on any of that yet.  Been having problems with a neighbor here and very tired of having to call police just about every day...be so glad to get out of here.  Anyway, thanks again!  Boy, my notebook is crammed full of ideas and information!  :)

Gertie said:
I think I'll check into the jackery, don't need much so that might work. 
I got the Jackery 500, am living in an apartment still, car camping in a Honda FIT until I figure out the next vehicle for full-timing. I decided not to get the solar yet for the Jackery as I can plug in at the apartment. I need the Jackery for computer mostly. I charge phone off the car. The jackery recharges from the car cigarette lighter too and I scope outside outlets to recharge at cafe's and even municipal parks and a lot of street lamps have them in parks. I put the Jackery in a canvas tote and hang out while it charges. Edit: and I've gone weeks camping with the Jackery without a solar panel without plugging in at the apartment

Well after googling cutting down a bed mattress I see it can be done. Just have never heard of anyone doing it. I'd be lazy and get a couple of types of foam.

What I am wondering is...does the feeling of always being on the run go away?
Or does it get worse?
Apartment living is no refuge either. Turn over can change a good situation and then your trapped.

Yes I think it does. A couple of weeks ago I was on my bed (I have a very bad back) super comfortable with my windows covered, reading and I felt so happy, relaxed  and at peace. Something I haven’t felt in years. And didn’t expect to.

I've never felt so much at home as I do in my van. Not even when I was a homeowner.

Weird, but true.

I am at one of my favorite spots right now, a rest area on the Columbia River. Good cell signal. Great view. In fact, I spend the night here sometimes, just so I can wake up to the view.

I've been wondering about these earlier year vans, I see some good prices...that I can afford....but I worry about whether they will last, will something mechanical go wrong, which I know zip about.  I can't really afford 2019 or heavens! 2020 so I've been looking at 2015 thru 2018.  Still kinda' pricey to me, but would it be best to go that way and just try to manage payments or take a chance on something much earlier and hope nothing goes wrong?  At the rate I worry, I'll never get out there!  Must be an age thing, I guess.

I haven't chosen my van yet either, But, I know I am not a mechanic and not gonna fix much that is mechanical. An emergency fund that is larger than the replacement value seems to be a good strategy. I'm a newbie but it seems to me that, that fund should be actual money, but also include the value of insurance, family/community skills you can call on and where you will be. Don't start with your best investment, plan on improving/maintaining. I have never been to BLM lands but I understand the life principle of being SOL without resouce. BTDT. Being on the edge is great when you look at the positives but you gotta rely on yourself for the negatives. Save all your money, make it worth your community's while to help you, be a giver more than a needer, ( a paraplegic can be a spiritual giver) and understand the systems you are living in. I don't know this from this country as much as other places but you are correctly fearful if you go out unprepared and under resourced. You need "fat" to use, be that community, money, skills or RELIABLE insurance and systems, before you leave.

There are always things going wrong mechanical wise plus the regular upkeep. You really need to be prepared for that. Even new parts wear out and that’s just the nature of the beast.

Even if you are in a house there is still upkeep and things that require attention.

Just be prepared.

Hello. Newbie here. I'm a 55 year old single woman. My children are grown and live away with my 4 grandchildren. I'm alone. On disability. Living in an apt now. I do nothing. I don't go anywhere. I would camp every chance I got. This year not so much because of covid. Its been my dream to have a free nomadic life. Now I am able. This is the first time ever being in a forum. I'm so grateful its here. I need all the advice, encouragement, cheerleading and any lessons I can learn from nice, like minded woman that won't steer me wrong. I would truly appreciate it all! Thank you so much! Peace, Christine

Christine Angel said:
I need all the advice, encouragement, cheerleading and any lessons I can learn from nice, like minded woman that won't steer me wrong. I would truly appreciate it all! Thank you so much! Peace, Christine
Hi, Christine! Your request for replies from “nice” women probably rules me out, especially since we’re about the same age but our life experiences couldn’t be more different. What I can tell you is that you learn the most by doing. Take a weekend and travel. See what you like and don’t like. Talk to people, within reason with this Covid thing happening. You don’t need to plan much just to spend a night someplace, maybe get a camping reservation so that you can access restrooms and feel safe. Bring something that will allow you to sleep comfortably considering your back problems (for example, I have bad acid reflux and prefer hammocks because I can sleep somewhat upright.) Have fun!

Another option for sleeping upright - a portable zero-gravity chair. I have both occasional acid reflux and back issues.

The more you camp, the more you can cope with your fears. 

Camp in your backyard/driveway. Camp in a friend's backyard/driveway. When you're comfortable in those places, find a nice public campground with an on-site host near you - some cities have them, many counties have them, all states do, and they are usually modestly priced. When you're comfortable in a hosted campground, branch out to a non-hosted campground.

BTW, EVERY WOMAN here is NICE.

Storm Isaias gave me a good excuse for a road trip (it fizzled out before reaching the Central FL coast, but by then I was in GA). I enjoyed the trip and found a campground just over the border by I-75 which will be useful for future evacuations and when I retire as a snowbird.

I pitched my small dome tent and stashed lots of gear in it so I had more room to sleep on the cot in the car. It went from 97 degrees on Saturday afternoon to 90 by bedtime, but having shore power for my Ryobi fan made it bearable (plus the cold shower, LOL).

So I figure when I am a snowbird, I will be in the northeast during warm weather and plan to stay at a campground a few days per week, which would allow me to recharge the Ryobi battery and also the Jackery 500 (future purchase) as I also have a small 12-volt fan. That would get me through the non-campground nights. Hopefully I will be far enough north and at an elevation that may mean a fan won't be needed every night.

I keep tweaking my set up every chance I get and am please to find it all gets easier with practice...and I practice whenever I can.

jacqueg said:
Another option for sleeping upright - a portable zero-gravity chair. I have both occasional acid reflux and back issues.
BTW, EVERY WOMAN here is NICE.
Naw, I’ve never been a “nice” girl...  Bullheaded, maybe but I see no reason to change now.

Christine where are you? There might be more campers in your area that you could learn a thing or two from.

I’m in Kentucky until fall and host thru campers if you get out this way.

Gertie said:
For solar I bought a folding solar panel from Amazon.  Jamie engnamatic (so?) nomadic did a video about it a year ago.  It was $125 about.  But it has USB and round plugs on the back.  So you don’t need batteries or a converter.  Worked great. Was able to charge my phone and tablet in a few hours.  I put in in the inside windshield of the car and parked towards the sun.  Attached phone in back and it worked just fine. 
Also take less, every time I stopped I donated stuff to a thrift store.

Hi everyone,
I'm very close to getting my van, and I'm nervous.  I am a senior and I have dogs, plural.  They've been with me for years.  I really am taking baby steps, I can't afford monetarily to make any mistakes, so I have some questions I'd like to ask.  I need to know what I should be bringing with me, what's absolutely necessary...besides dog food. LOL  I'll be starting totally from scratch, so I know nothing about solar, how to set up my computer, insulating, stuff like that.  And what items did people bring and then find they never used the items?  I already have a dog bin, clothes bin...very small, I'm a t-shirt person, camping gear bin, fishing bin, tool bin....I think that's it.  

I want to do summer in or near the mountains, winter in the desert.  I'd also like to meet up with other senior women with pets, need lots of tips on how to travel with pets too!  

Thank you for your advice, info, comments.  
Gertie

Hard to know what happens to anyone when they decide not to post unless of course they explain and  say they are not going to post anymore. But a lot of the time they simply quit posting without saying goodbye or see you later.